The Student Room Group

Can you have sex without pulling back the foreskin?

I am a virgin and I have never been able to pull back my foreskin over the head of my penis. I can get it about halfway with some discomfort but the hole is too small. I can masturbate without any discomfort and I think I do it normally but I'm worried about having sex as I heard a guy in my school tried to have sex without pulling his foreskin back and it ripped and he had to go to the hospital. Is it possible to put a condom on with the foreskin pulled up and have sex without this happening. I think I may have an opportunity to lose my virginity this time next week so if anybody could help me I'd really appreciate it.
Yes you can have sex using a condom without retracting your foreskin. A tight foreskin is very common and there is nothing you can do to cause it or make it worse, treatment is available should you need or want it.

The reason for retracting your foreskin when putting on a condom is to increase sensation. Without a condom the foreskin naturally moves back and forth. A condom restricts this movement so condom manufactures recommend you retract your foreskin before putting on the condom. Not everyone likes this sensation or finds this step necessary - it's a personal choice thing.

You do want to be able to retract your foreskin over the head of your penis to clean behind it.

I'd recommend practicing in the shower or bath, just being very gentle moving it a little back each time. The exposed penis will be extremely sensitive, this is normal. As for 'hearing' that someone ripped their foreskin, that's highly unlikely. Be gentle - don't force it, each time you have a bath or shower try to move it a little further back.

If you're finding your unable to clean properly or have any other complications (pain, infection, problems with basic functions) or just want a second opinion and a bit of support to overcome the issue - pop along to your doctor. They'll prescribe you some steroid cream and some stretching actives to do.

If that doesn't work, depending on the severity of the issue or your desire for treament they may recommend surgery. It's always your choice and there's nothing to worry or be embarrassed about.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/phimosis/
(This article is a bit poor IMO, it's written from both a male patient and parent's/guardian's perspective and also covers paraphimosis which is a rare medical event rather than a common condition.)
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi. Im 15 years old and have been masterbating for a few years. During ******* I never pull back my foreskin. When I try to it feels very uncomfortable and tight. It's also attached still. I don't know how rare these things are. I've not been to the doctors but if I should then I'll go. I've heard using a cream to make the foreskin more loose. Any suggestions in what cream? Also is it normal to have a attachment in that area?
Original post by Rodddddd0
Hi. Im 15 years old and have been masterbating for a few years. During ******* I never pull back my foreskin. When I try to it feels very uncomfortable and tight. It's also attached still. I don't know how rare these things are. I've not been to the doctors but if I should then I'll go. I've heard using a cream to make the foreskin more loose. Any suggestions in what cream? Also is it normal to have a attachment in that area?

You should be able to fully retract your foreskin. If you can’t you may have phimosis. If you can’t was it properly the build up if smegma may lead to poor hygiene, an unpleasant smell and even infection. You should see your GP about this, who can offer advice. There are several treatments available, including creams. Circumcision is an option (and a permanent cure), but there are alternatives too. I am circumcised, so I have not have to suffer this problem that’s affecting you. Personally, I’m glad that I’m circumcised and my girlfriend prefers it too. That said, you have a choice whether or not to consider circumcision - you will not be forced into anything against your will.
(edited 2 years ago)
I feel you man. Last month i discovered that i can pull my foreskil full back when my **** is not hard and then im waiting to get hard with my foreskin pulled you should try it
Original post by username4934356
You should be able to fully retract your foreskin. If you can’t you may have phimosis. If you can’t was it properly the build up if smegma may lead to poor hygiene, an unpleasant smell and even infection. You should see your GP about this, who can offer advice. There are several treatments available, including creams. Circumcision is an option (and a permanent cure), but there are alternatives too. I am circumcised, so I have not have to suffer this problem that’s affecting you. Personally, I’m glad that I’m circumcised and my girlfriend prefers it too. That said, you have a choice whether or not to consider circumcision - you will not be forced into anything against your will.

Creams and stretching exercises do work in the majority of cases but seek proper information on what’s best for you! There are also devices that are successfully being used and a study being conducted presently in Australia showing promising results for phimosis problems in 3 weeks with one of these devices. If all else fails there are surgeries to look at as well which preserves the foreskin. If you are serious in preserving your foreskin and it’s well documented that it’s with it as it has an important purpose and many functions, then go to 15square.org.uk which is a registered charity with real doctors giving out correct information education and advice for men on this subject.
you 100% need to go to the doctors, if you can't pull it back how on earth are you cleaning under there when you have a shower? this can cause infections for you, and if you have sex with a girl its gonna cause her infections too. Please go to the doctors asap x
Original post by Anonymous
Creams and stretching exercises do work in the majority of cases but seek proper information on what’s best for you! There are also devices that are successfully being used and a study being conducted presently in Australia showing promising results for phimosis problems in 3 weeks with one of these devices. If all else fails there are surgeries to look at as well which preserves the foreskin. If you are serious in preserving your foreskin and it’s well documented that it’s with it as it has an important purpose and many functions, then go to 15square.org.uk which is a registered charity with real doctors giving out correct information education and advice for men on this subject.

Just get circumcised! It will be so much better! I had mine circumcised and so glad I did! No regrets! Can't imagine going back to dealing with the Foreskin I once had! Wet glans and smell are gone forever!
Original post by Anonymous
I am a virgin and I have never been able to pull back my foreskin over the head of my penis. I can get it about halfway with some discomfort but the hole is too small. I can masturbate without any discomfort and I think I do it normally but I'm worried about having sex as I heard a guy in my school tried to have sex without pulling his foreskin back and it ripped and he had to go to the hospital. Is it possible to put a condom on with the foreskin pulled up and have sex without this happening. I think I may have an opportunity to lose my virginity this time next week so if anybody could help me I'd really appreciate it.

Your problems would be solved with a circumcision and Frenulectomy! Get it done!

Quick Reply

Latest