The Student Room Group

Do you feel university is like being on benefits, but your parents are proud of you?

(edited 13 years ago)
Not in the slightest. I don't have a single day where I don't do some studying. I don't doss around watching tv/films as much as i'd love to. Unfortunately there is work to be done.

And i'm not claiming any financial help either.

So no, I don't feel like i'm on benefits :smile:

I can see why some do though. I know plenty of people who have government money (and rightly so!), who seem to put little effort in with their studies :/ and seem to sit around all day doing jack ****.
Benefits aren't loans, so no.
Original post by ChemistBoy
Benefits aren't loans, so no.

I'm not at uni, but your statement is exactly what I was thinking, so the answer would be no.
Reply 4
Yes, I get an NHS bursary and sit around all day doing nothing. It's depressing not fun and I feel like a chav on Jeremy Kyle.
Reply 5
Not really, im always sat doing work on my laptop or reading something i need to learn or dont understand properly. I live at home and sometimes i do just sit around and relax but thats because sometimes the work you've got is stressful and everyone needs to relax every now and then
I think some students live like that. It is possible to PASS a degree with very little work and without attending many lectures. However, whether you'd be able to get a GOOD degree is doubtful.
Reply 7
The life of someone on benefits

9:00am - Wake up!

9:30am - Watch Jeremy Kyle

11:00am - Go to Tesco in pyjama's and buy a pack of fags and some cans of lager for tonight whilst watching television

13:00pm - Get back from Tesco doing nothing at all. Sit on arse on Facebook playing stupid games.

16:00pm - Do something to eat quick and sit down to watch some television whilst still on Facebook

19:00pm - Watch Emmerdale, Coronation Street, Eastenders etc and then Big Brother (whilst secretly hoping that one day you'll be on it)

20:00pm - Drink some cans and feel bored because you have done bugger all, all day so then leave to go to the pub.

21:00pm - Go to the pub and moan how you haven't got no money and how you deserve more to sit on your arse all day whilst acting like a knob and spoiling everyone else's fun stress free time and going on foul mouth rants that show a severe lack of intelligence.

01:00am - wobble home pissed out of your mind and fall into bed. Wake up the next morning to restart the cycle.

The life of a student

9:00am - Wake up. Have a shower. Get ready and go to lecture. Could even be earlier.

11:00am - Finish lecture, go back to room to do studying and research for a couple of hours.

13:00pm - Go out with a few friends for a bite to eat and then grab some needed shopping items on the way back.

16:00pm - Go back and do some more studying or chilling out on Facebook maybe whilst getting ready to take laundry items to the laundry facilities.

18:30pm - Take things to laundry and come back to room.

19:00pm - Play a few drinking games with friends or relax and have a laugh, but still intellectual conversation as you are around other intelligent people.

20:00pm - Have a few more drinks and maybe go out depending on what you have to do the next day and what times.

21:00pm - Go to the pub and instead of moaning about money, you manage money in order to fund a basic lifestyle of loans and overdrafts (yes, loans that you have to pay back, not free hand outs).

01:00am - Order a taxi home with a few friends and go to bed ready to get up the next day.

Somehow I think comparing someone on benefits to a student is insulting. At least students have the motivation to gain an education to better themselves. A lot of respect !
(edited 13 years ago)
saw this facebook group :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending