The Student Room Group

I dont want to go to my graduation.

I have just finished my degree. My graduation is in a couple of weeks. I never wanted to go. I would prefer for my degree to just arrive in the post and avoid the whole thing tbh.

However, I'm being guilt tripped into going so that my mum can show off that her child has a degree. I suffer with anxiety and depression and the current home situation with my siblings does not help the matter. My parents don't do much to help with that tbh.

I honestly don't know what to do because its just making me more angry that I have to go and the fact that i'm 27 and still not allowed to make decisions about my own life.

To top things off, my dad has decided to go to work in the morning and come back in time. He is always late coming back from work. especially on the days we have something to do.

What i want is never important nor are my feelings ever considered. Whenever a day is supposed to be about me, it never is. My birthdays were never considered important until this year. Now that I am happy to have no attention, they are trying to force attention on me despite me telling them to stop.

Honestly, i really dont know what to do.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I have just finished my degree. My graduation is in a couple of weeks. I never wanted to go. I would prefer for my degree to just arrive in the post and avoid the whole thing tbh.

However, I'm being guilt tripped into going so that my mum can show off that her child has a degree. I suffer with anxiety and depression and the current home situation with my siblings does not help the matter. My parents don't do much to help with that tbh.

I honestly don't know what to do because its just making me more angry that I have to go and the fact that i'm 27 and still not allowed to make decisions about my own life.

To top things off, my dad has decided to go to work in the morning and come back in time. He is always late coming back from work. especially on the days we have something to do.

What i want is never important nor are my feelings ever considered. Whenever a day is supposed to be about me, it never is. My birthdays were never considered important until this year. Now that I am happy to have no attention, they are trying to force attention on me despite me telling them to stop.

Honestly it's down to yourself whether you want to attend your graduation ceremony and not your mother okay.
You can get your certificates posted to you. There's people who do that as rather not attend the graduation ceremony due to costs.

Yes your mother wants to show off that her son went to university and graduated in the degree.
Original post by Anonymous

Do what you feel comfortable with. I'm sure there is an option to have your degree delivered to you. It's your decision whether you attend, nobody has that decision other than yourself.

Your mum is obviously proud of you and you should be proud of yourself too. I know the pomp and ceremony isn't for everyone, but you gotta do what you gotta do and assert it as you want to. Don't worry about your decision, you're doing what is right for you in the here and now.
Ultimately you've got to weigh up whether your Mum's displeasure outweighs your anxiety/discomfort. There is no 'correct' answer.

I didn't attend my graduation, I'm sure my Mum would have liked to go but I had no interest.

If your parents are aware of your anxiety and depression I would hope they would consider your wishes, but appreciate that might not be the case.
Reply 4
I only went to mine for me Ma. I couldn't care less about a pat on the back and the self-congratulatory nature of these things but I also wanted her to have a good day to be pleased and have some bragging rights, so I went.

But I don't have that other baggage with my parents, so it was less of a kick in the **** for me, I suspect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending