The Student Room Group

Are social sciences good for jobs (honest opinions)

I've decided that I want to do a social science mainy something like criminology and social policy which includes a litle bit of economics (LSE).

Could people who have graduated tell me about job prospects with their own degree in a social science. Stuff like how easy/hard was it to find a graduate type job, what was your starting salary. Did they care more about your uni more, class of degree or subject . Any other info would be helpful.
Well I think they are, but then I'm biased :biggrin:

Social science knowledge can be employed for many things, and you'll find these subjects are good for life skills too. Not only that but you aquire useful writing skills too, from writing essays, conducting reports, and possibly completing a thesis too (if you decide to do honours in this field).

DB_x
Well I think they are, but then I'm biased :biggrin:

Social science knowledge can be employed for many things, and you'll find these subjects are good for life skills too. Not only that but you aquire useful writing skills, from writing essays, conducting reports, and possibly completing a thesis as well (if you decide to do honours in this field).

DB_x
Reply 3
I was under the impression they are not good for graduate jobs in the this country because so many people have them. I could be wrong though.
Reply 4
You should do what you enjoy doing, not what employement stats tell you it's good for you. If you do what you love, you're quite likely to be good at it, if not excellent, and if you're an excellent, enthusiastic and passionate candidate you will find a job that suits you regardless of your degree. That's my opinion...
nikk
I could be wrong though.

Pretty much.
Reply 6
Isn't law a social science? :smile:
Reply 7
Icy Ghost
Isn't law a social science? :smile:

It is often classified with the social sciences. It is in my university anyway.
Reply 8
Socrates
It is often classified with the social sciences. It is in my university anyway.

cool :smile:
I think it depends on what you would want to go into.

For example, I want to do Occupational Therapy, so sciences and social sciences are going to be "good" for that.

Latest

Trending

Trending