The Student Room Group

Ai anxiety, and loss of motivation in the face of The End(tm)

I have completely lost motivation to well in A-Levels, (psych, RS, Eng lit), despite being “good at them” (predicted AAA*), and been accepted by an RG uni, they won’t matter.
Nothing I do will matter: I want to do politics/philosophy, and basically it feels like every degree that isn’t CS is preparing to be replaced by an Ai. Seriously, the overwhelming hate I have for those developing this stuff cannot be put into words. I’m sort of at a loss as to what to do. Every job I considered won’t exist in 5,10,15 years, so what is the point of revising, what is the point of going to university, doing a job when in 20 years, it won’t matter? Honestly, I don’t care what I get in these wasteful A levels I picked, because by the time I graduate, the only jobs will be:
Computer maintenance
Ai trainer
Or stats guy (maybe, assuming an Ai cannot be trained to analyse stats)
I’m not going to Oxbridge or one of the London ones, so I’m not even protected by that. I’ve heard 2030 is basically “the last bus”, so in theory, I have time to ditch these a levels, do maths and computer science (both of which I’m pretty good at), then do “a proper STEM degree” to avoid being annihilated by the wrath of Silicon Valley. Several ppl I know have already dropped college (yes now) because they were doing art, and now Midjourney exists, or Chatgpt can write a better novel/song than they could.

I don’t really know what to do.
Original post by Anonymous
I have completely lost motivation to well in A-Levels, (psych, RS, Eng lit), despite being “good at them” (predicted AAA*), and been accepted by an RG uni, they won’t matter.
Nothing I do will matter: I want to do politics/philosophy, and basically it feels like every degree that isn’t CS is preparing to be replaced by an Ai. Seriously, the overwhelming hate I have for those developing this stuff cannot be put into words. I’m sort of at a loss as to what to do. Every job I considered won’t exist in 5,10,15 years, so what is the point of revising, what is the point of going to university, doing a job when in 20 years, it won’t matter? Honestly, I don’t care what I get in these wasteful A levels I picked, because by the time I graduate, the only jobs will be:
Computer maintenance
Ai trainer
I’m not going to Oxbridge or one of the London ones, so I’m not even protected by that. I’ve heard 2030 is basically “the last bus”, so in theory, I have time to ditch these a levels, do maths and computer science (both of which I’m pretty good at), then do “a proper STEM degree” to avoid being annihilated by the wrath of Silicon Valley. Several ppl I know have already dropped college (yes now) because they were doing art, and now Midjourney exists, or Chatgpt can write a better novel/song than they could.

Hi there!

I understand what you mean. Ai is something that is developing quickly and it can be overwhelming to think about sometimes. What I would say is that a lot of degrees and Universities will develop alongside this and use it to their advantage. Personally, I am a creative writing student and the thought of Ai being able to write something faster and better than me is definitely scary but I try to think about how most people would prefer to read the work of a real and hardworking person. In my opinion, a degree can never be a waste and will always be useful in one way or another.

If you would like to go down the route of other courses such as computer science then go for it! But my advice would be to only do something that you want to do and that you know you will enjoy so if that is Politics/philosophy then go for that. Jobs are changing so much which can definitely be scary but can also be a good thing as it means jobs that we currently don't know about could be created and be much better suited to what you want. :smile:

Emily
First Year Creative Writing Student
Original post by Anonymous
Computer maintenance
Ai trainer

Hello

I hope you're well. I completely understand why you would be feeling demotivated to be honest. I would say to just try to continue to work and push through, it is always worth it to have some qualifications behind you. I wouldn't focus on the development of AI because nothing has been 100% confirmed and even if so, it is not happening for now.

It might come to a place where you may end up regretting not pursuing your A Levels or degree, especially if this AI stuff doesn't fully come into practice. Try and push through, your predicted grades are excellent!

Make yourself proud!
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending