The Student Room Group

Jamies guide to getting into specialty training

OK, I said I had some insider info regarding ACCS selection criteria. But much of what I know is rather generic and applies to other areas. You'll find much of this is stuff you already know(ish) but I think for those in the final years of medical school, or in F1 its quite important to get a headstart.

Training posts can be difficult to get hold of. This is because of cutbacks (money), EU competition, and the general difficulties of workplace planning.

So here are a few areas which give you points in selection criteria. [this is fact, not opinion...]

Additional Qualifications
0-None
1-Intercalated degree (2nd/3rd), diploma
2-Intercalated degree (1st), MCEM A, MRCP 1, MRCS A (etc)
3-Previous degree or masters PLUS MRCP 1/MCEM A etc
4-PhD, MD

Prizes/distinctions
0-nothing
1-Undergraduate prizes
2-Postgraduate prizes

Training courses
0-none attended
1-one or more course relevant to specialty
2-multiple courses (example ATLS and ALS and APLS for those wanting to do ACCS)

Research and publications

0-none
1-good publication as co-author
2-several good publications as co-author or one as first author
3-multiple publications in leading journals
4-4 plus publications as first author in leading journals

Teaching experience
0-none
1-informal teaching of med students/nurses
2-Contribution to formal teaching
3-Major contribution to local teaching programme or formal training in education
4-Major contribution to national teaching programme

Audit

0-none
1-Has done donkey work for others
2-Significant contribution to one audit per year
3-Significant contribution to more than one audit per year (gneerally you have to have designed and led)
4-Practise changing audits presented nationally
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks Jamie.
Looks pretty similar to the Psych applications.

I wondered if people had any thoughts on doing a good answer to the suitability for specialty v. commitment to specialty questions as it seems like more than one are using them & superficially it seems like the content could be quite similar...

(Yes - I am breaking a cardinal TSR rule in that I probbaly haven't fully thought this through myself just yet... I suppose the suitability is all about trying to relate things to the person specification but then the content of how you've demonstrated suitability probably relates to the extra things you've tried to do to show commitment? I am rubbish at these forms!)
Thanks!

Are prizes points for national only as for the FP application?
Reply 3
I really must get around to starting this. :s
Reply 4
Original post by Renal
I really must get around to starting this. :s

:ditto:

Well, I've started in that I've started registering, but I'm still waiting for one of my referees to say it's ok for me to name them before I can go any further :s:
Reply 5
That is scary!
I think I'll worry about finals at the moment and then start worrying about this :ninja:

Thanks, Jamie!
Reply 6
Original post by Helenia
:ditto:

Well, I've started in that I've started registering, but I'm still waiting for one of my referees to say it's ok for me to name them before I can go any further :s:

What are you applying for?
Reply 7
Original post by Daveo
What are you applying for?

Anaesthetics and ACCS (anaesthetics). Same as half the other A&E F2s, it seems!
Original post by Helenia
Anaesthetics and ACCS (anaesthetics). Same as half the other A&E F2s, it seems!

Uck, rather you than me.
Spend your entire training obsessing about the FRCA exams and being someone elses bitch for your entire career.

IF you go for ACCS I would advise avoiding anywhere south east London (Bromley, Sidcup, Woolwich).
Reply 9
"What skills and personal attributes will you bring to the ACCS programme and specifically to your intended parent speciality?"

100 words, 14 skills listed on the person spec.

FFS!
Reply 10
Can I have a radiology job please? Kthx
Original post by Daveo
Can I have a radiology job please? Kthx

You moved well up the queue by putting "please" on the form :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by Huw Davies
You moved well up the queue by putting "please" on the form :wink:

Awesome! If only it was that easy
Oh bugger, means I can't be lazy anymore. Better start doing some stuff :frown:
I've recently done an audit which I feel could get me a couple of points. However the consultant that originally gave it to me has since forgotten about it (despite my regular email reminders), and I've not been able to present the work. I've since moved hospitals but would be willing to travel and present it just to draw a line under it!! But he doesn't seem interested and he is the audit lead for the department!

Any ideas?
Original post by Smile88egc
I've recently done an audit which I feel could get me a couple of points. However the consultant that originally gave it to me has since forgotten about it (despite my regular email reminders), and I've not been able to present the work. I've since moved hospitals but would be willing to travel and present it just to draw a line under it!! But he doesn't seem interested and he is the audit lead for the department!

Any ideas?

One idea would be to redo the audit in another hospital and then you can use the data from the other for comparison and to think up lessons to learn.

If you need to get some presentations under your belt and are going to be ina hospital for a few weeks then you might want to track down the organiser of the medical journal club or something similar and ask if you can present something.
Thanks for the tips. I don't think it will work with this audit tho, was auditing intra-uterine transfusions for rhesus incompatibility so only 30 babies in a 10 year period and the hospital I'm at now doesn't provide this treatment. Just so frustrating after all those weeks of note chasing around my clinical exams last summer!! It's really dampened my enthusiasm for doing any more.
I could definitely be doing more angling for presentations though, journal club sounds like a good way into it, cheers.
Thanks for the heads up Jamie, :top:

I'd better get off my backside and get something together.

Wish there was social criteria...

Spoiler

Reply 18
Original post by ThisLittlePiggy
Wish there was social criteria...

0-none
1-informal drinking
2-Contribution to formal drinking events
3-Major contribution to the local drinking scene
4-Master of ceremonies and games

A pig can dream :daydreaming:
If only :biggrin:
So I've recently being coerced into giving some teaching to some 4th years, actually rather enjoyed it and ended up giving teaching semi-regularly over the past couple of weeks.

How can I show evidence for this in an application beyond my word? I'm hoping the answer isn't feedback forms...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending