The Student Room Group

Advice wanted in exchange for good karma! ;-)

I have just made the decision to defer my second year of university. I'm taking the time to think about whether I want to go back or head in another direction. As far as the university are concerned, I will decide by autumn this year if I am coming back or not, so I haven't officially permanently dropped out.

The main thing that is worrying me at the moment is my student loans and grants. The tuition fees don't get paid to the uni until February and May so I have time there, but I still have rent to pay. I have already had my maintenance loan and grant through for this term, and my rent for the next three months will go out on the 15th January.

My question is, when I eventually contact the Student Loans company, will they demand the full chunk of money they have already paid me, or will they just add it to what I already owe to be paid off when I'm earning the £15,000?

I'm tempted to wait until the rent cheque has gone out before I contact them, then if they do ask for it back straight away there isn't much I can do! I really would rather they added it to my current debt and just didn't pay me for the rest of the year (obviously!!)

Has anyone been through a simialr situation, or know the SLC policy?

Sorry I have rambled so much but I need advice!! Thanks!
They'll certainly want the grant back immediately.
Reply 2
If you don't inform them straight after leaving then repayment can be demanded in full of everything you have been paid as you'll be in breach of contract. By not informing, you lose your rights to repay through PAYE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending