The Student Room Group

University of Kent or City, Uni London

ftyfy
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by _jack.027
I have offers to do:

Media (Kent) BBB

Communications, PR and Advertising (City) BCC contextual

I have a rough idea of what I want to go into post-uni, I want to work in the marketing / public relations sectors. University wise I think I would rather go to Kent than City just based off of the campuses and experience (I already live in London so City wouldn't be much of a change).

Most jobs for marketing, PR and communication positions specify they would like you to have a degree in Marketing, Communications, PR or a related degree. Is a Media degree related enough or do you think this would harm my overall employability? The degree at city seems very suitable for this.

Basically does anyone know anything about if any of these universities are much better than each other and whether doing a degree in Media compared to Communications, PR and advertising would allow me to go down the same career path.

Thanks for reading.

Hi there,

Congratulations on your offers!
Although I do not know about the marketing/ public relations sector or a media degree, hopefully I can give you an insight of what it is like to study at Kent. :smile:

Did you have a chance to attend one of our open days? The Campus at Canterbury was one of the main reasons that I chose Kent when I was applying. The campus is spacious and modern, with a good mix of infrastructure and greenery. All the facilities are clean and well kept which is really important to me. :smile: It is located quite close to the city centre (around 30 minutes walk or 10 minutes by bus), so it is quite convenient to travel. If you have not already, I would highly recommend attending an open day, this could provide you with a better insight, and perhaps you are able to gain some advice regarding the course and potential career opportunities. :smile:

Kent students are really supported through out their experience at University, this includes academic mentoring from tutors and peers, wellbeing services, career and employability schemes, also a really supportive student union. There are always people to reach out to regardless of what issues you may encounter. The staff and students at Kent are really friendly and approachable, which has made my experience much more enjoyable.

I would really highlight the careers and employability service at Kent. They provide really good career advice and you are able to book appointments to arrange mock interviews, CV reviews, and many other application guidance. We also have an employability points scheme: this allows students to log their extracurricular online in exchange for points, and by the end of each year these points can be exchanged for different work experience opportunities that are exclusive to Kent students. You can find more about this scheme here: Employability Points - University of Kent. By boosting their CV and allowing students to gain invaluable work experience, it is really helpful in paving student's way to a successful career.

I hope this helps.
If there is anything specifically you would like to know about studying at Kent, I will be happy to answer your questions.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending