The Student Room Group

Driving a convertible during first year ? 'Too Much?' (Photos included)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MovingOn
My cousin had a brand new fiesta bought for her when she was at uni, had a few occasions of jealousy i.e. people spitting on her car etc etc. It's a sad world, but best to be warned.

EEEEEEEEKKKK :eek: OMG Are you serious!
Reply 81
Why would the car matter? It's not like you go to the pub, and to the freshers events by car. So practically nobody will know about it anyway (not before they've got to know you more, at least). It won't have an effect on first impressions.

In my taste, that's an ugly car, but if you like it, go for it.
Original post by DDS
I dont get it. Your driving a 6k car to University? Alot of people at my college have 10k+ cars

So I shouldn't get it because I should get a more expensive car :s-smilie: Well 6-9k is the most my parents can afford they will be paying the 600 a month insurance on it too so I think that's enough.

Maybe when I graduate I'll get a 10k car :wink: Good on them!
Original post by HJV
Why would the car matter? It's not like you go to the pub, and to the freshers events by car. So practically nobody will know about it anyway (not before they've got to know you more, at least). It won't have an effect on first impressions.

In my taste, that's an ugly car, but if you like it, go for it.

:s-smilie: I'm planning to drive myself to events in my car, I currently drive myself and friends to all nights out because I don't drink.....I was intending to drive my car on nights out from October too .... is that bad :eek:
Reply 84
Original post by PortiaLovesMcqueen
:s-smilie: I'm planning to drive myself to events in my car, I currently drive myself and friends to all nights out because I don't drink.....I was intending to drive my car on nights out from October too .... is that bad :eek:

It is a ridiculous and completely unfeasible notion.
You want a convertible in London? :lolwut:

That won't last long unless you have secure parking (which costs a ton), and frankly whilst UCL is great the area it's in, or rather adjacent to, is not. North of Euston Road is pretty damn dodgy sometimes. UCL also has very limited parking facilities. You are in the one part of the country with an extensive, multiply redundant public transport network that can take you anywhere in the city in less than an hour for the most part. London also has links to every major city via rail. Why not take advantage of this whilst you're young and can use a railcard?

My advice? Don't have a car at uni in London. I don't even care about the aesthetic aspect of it, you're just better off not having a car at uni. If you really like it, then buy it, keep it at your parent's house and declare it to be off the roads so you don't have to pay tax or insure it. Then when you graduate you'll have the car without it having gone through the hell of London's road network.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Kreuzuerk
It is a ridiculous and completely unfeasible notion.

Sorry if I sound dumb or naive but can you tell me WHY? I go on nights out in London almost ever weekend and always drive and park outside, I NEVER drink though I'm the sober friend who drives...does this not count for uni?
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
You want a convertible in London? :lolwut:

That won't last long unless you have secure parking (which costs a ton), and frankly whilst UCL is great the area it's in, or rather adjacent to, is not. North of Euston Road is pretty damn dodgy sometimes. UCL also has very limited parking facilities. You are in the one part of the country with an extensive, multiply redundant public transport network that can take you anywhere in the city in less than an hour for the most part. London also has links to every major city via rail. Why not take advantage of this whilst you're young and can use a railcard?

My advice? Don't have a car at uni in London. I don't even care about the aesthetic aspect of it, you're just better off not having a car at uni. If you really like it, then buy it, keep it at your parent's house and declare it to be off the roads so you don't have to pay tax or insure it. Then when you graduate you'll have the car without it having gone through the hell of London's road network.

The tube is just so hot and sticky and crowded :'( Buses are just.....erghhhh *sighs* :frown:
Reply 88
Because we love living in Cheshire and he doesn't mind driving in Central London.
He is a doctor in private practice, he only works 3 days a week.

In regards to Amnesty International how else does one volunteer with a non profit organisation? Seems a no brainer to me.

A bit rude. Even more ironic considering I passed up the opportunity to act like a douche and mock you for wanting a car in one of the better connected cities in the world with regards to transport. I meant, just as I said, how did you get involved with them. Because every time I check their website for volunteering vacancies in London they never have any so I am guessing it must be difficult.
The tube is just so hot and sticky and crowded :'( Buses are just.....erghhhh *sighs* :frown:

It's not that bad. Remember, as a student you are free, generally, to travel outside of rush hour and thus miss the big crush. The tube between about 9.30 and 16.30 is fine, and after about 18.30 all the commuters have gone home.

In any case, at least the tube generally works, is fast, and is cheap. London traffic is ridiculous and parking is impossible.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by adam_zed
A bit rude. Even more ironic considering I passed up the opportunity to act like a douche and mock you for wanting a car in one of the better connected cities in the world with regards to transport. I meant, just as I said, how did you get involved with them. Because every time I check their website for volunteering vacancies in London they never have any so I am guessing it must be difficult.

I emailed them a deep heartfelt letter. They never advertise vacancies, after people found about JK Rowling working there they are BOMBARDED with applications.
Do yourself a favour . Get yourself one of these instead of that bulbous disaster you are eyeing.

Dustin Hofmann drove one in the Graduate ! It will appreciate in value if looked after well, and would cost less to insure too. However it will the rust and require care, but what's wrong with that ?
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos

It's not that bad. Remember, as a student you are free, generally, to travel outside of rush hour and thus miss the big crush. The tube between about 9.30 and 16.30 is fine, and after about 18.30 all the commuters have gone home.

In any case, at least the tube generally works, is fast, and is cheap. London traffic is ridiculous and parking is impossible.

*sigh* I wear wedges and heels some days and I found they aren't practical when running for a bus. I'm guessing they will have to go when I start uni too :frown:
Bye Bye heels and car hello trainers and buses **** My Life
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 93
Okay I'm starting a law degree at UCL this year and I'm really excited to meet new people and finally take that step into further education after such a tedious gap year.

It's my birthday this summer and I'm getting a car, I've wanted the same car for ages and my parents are going to get it for me because I did well in my A Levels last year and I've volunteered though my gap year. It's the Peugeot 207 CC 2007 Plate. It's around 6-9k second hand. I've been looking on auto trader for months.

I've saved as much as I can for it and my parents will pay the rest and my insurance off.

All this time it's been the plan and FINE but yesterday my mum's friend whose a lecturer and a grade ONE nosey parker -_- came round and said 'no that will be wayyy to much' -_____- She said people won't take to me quickly and might think I'm a show off? JUST BECAUSE OF MY CAR?!

This is SOO annoying because it is MY CAR, I've wanted a convertible peugeot since they had the 206CC convertibles when like I was in year 9!!!

Now my mum's being all ' I don't want you to get picked on' :s-smilie: what the hell? Do people even pick on people at uni ? This isn't year 8 -_- Now they're suggesting I get something more modest because of what this woman said NOTHING more, up until yesterday this was THE PLAN. -__-

People at uni who drive do you think it would be 'too much?', can people REALLY judge you on your car :s-smilie: I'm soo peeved. How can a car be 'too much'

I want to get the black one, I've been looking on auto trader for months. How exactly can this car put me off having friends???? -_____- It's not like people will say 'you have a convertible, go away'

It's even more annoying because my parents NEVER thought like this BEFORE she came along.

must be nice living out of daddys wallet
Reply 94
if anything people will want to be friends with you, since you'll be the hot chick with the convertible.
Reply 95
*sigh* I wear wedges and heels some days and I found they aren't practical when running for a bus. I'm guessing they will have to go when I start uni too :frown:
Bye Bye heels and car hello trainers and buses **** My Life

Yes, what a hard life you have...

You're a tragic example of a human being - a spoilt brat.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by theorb21
Yes, what a hard life you have...

You're a tragic example of a human being - a spoilt brat.

What's wrong with heels? I like wearing them out and about!
Reply 97
What's wrong with heels? I like wearing them out and about!

Could you be anymore obtuse?
Original post by becky.fm
You don't need a car. I bought a 2007 Golf just before i came to uni, most pointless thing ever! I spent 9k on a car (earned all that money at work, so no, parentals didnt spend a penny!) and it just sits around half the time. It's an impressive car, but no-one really cares. I just use it for commuting now. Never use it at uni really.

Btw if your gonna but a car, buy a Golf for the same money, they are much better haha!

HAHAHA Becky did you to uni in London?
Why don't you just sell it?
Reply 99
People won't think too much of it, will just think you're rich as long as you're a decent person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending