The Student Room Group

Foundation Art course. PLEASE, HELP ME!

This year I am graduating from school and applying for undergraduate Fine Art course. I am an international student.
Should I firstly apply for Foundation Art course and only next year for Undergraduate studies?
I doubt if my choice is right because some universities require to have completed the Foundation course in Art and Design or undertaken a similar post A-Level/post IB course in Art and Design.
However, this year I am also graduating from four-year Art school where I have studied painting, drawing, design, sculpture, history of art, ect. Moreover, I have an A level Art course at school. Could these qualifications be accepted as if they were a Foundation course?
Reply 1
Short answer to your question is apply to both and see what happens. There is no rule saying you can't apply to both foundation and degree. This is what I did back in the days so as many of my peers and I know people still do it every year. Nobody will know you are doing it; you apply to foundations directly to each college and degree through UCAS, so you are allowed. Most if not all universities require applicants to have a dont a foundation before a degree in many art courses but the reality is it is not the case for all, it is still realtively rare for people go stright onto a degree without a foundaiton but I for one is a living proof, I went stright from A-level to BA with an unconditional offer from 2 places, one of which I didn't even bother showing for the interview.

Also, as much I hate saying it and don't necessarily agree with it, International students do have the avantage of bypassing some requirements due to the fees paid.

Finally, if you have done a 4 years full time art education, not just 1 lesson a week that kind, then I personally think it puts you in a very strong position of not having to do the foundation. After all, when it comes to art courses, points and marks are not that important, what matters is how strong your portfolio is.
Reply 2
Thank you very much for your answer. :smile:
Reply 3
From experience I would say do the foundation course first because it helps you with so many things after! The universities that have accepted me probably wouldn't have if I didn't have that course. It's also a brilliant course and really educating.

Quick Reply

Latest