The Student Room Group

5/3/1 attempt no.2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Original post by Michael XYZ
Tell me all the criticisms/negatives of 5/3/1 please? :smile:

- Training each lift only once a week might make you weaker initially (you probably wont have a problem though, because you train each lift once a week anyway)
- Deload week can be really boring and it is easy to be lead astray
- Can only lift 4 times a week so its boring as fck the other 3 days especially during summer holidays
Thanks.

Thinking of Ed Coan's which isn't massively dissimilar but a little more full on which I think I'd prefer over Summer where I can rest a lot longer and have little to worry about.
Original post by u4m1r
X

What stops you just cycling it every 4 days?

I'm planning to do a squat, DL, bench and a press day then workout every day. But I'm still new to lifting, CNS aint gonna get fried any time soon.
Reply 823
Original post by Slick Fosbury

I'm planning to do a squat, DL, bench and a press day then workout every day. But I'm still new to lifting, CNS aint gonna get fried any time soon.

Isn't 5/3/1 meant for advanced / experienced lifters ?
People usually recommend SL or SS at beginner level.
Is there a reason why you want to do 5/3/1 ? :tongue:
Original post by liftorrot
Isn't 5/3/1 meant for advanced / experienced lifters ?
People usually recommend SL or SS at beginner level.
Is there a reason why you want to do 5/3/1 ? :tongue:

Yeah but I'm not going to do 5/3/1 progression. Just the principle of one main lift a day, back off sets and then assistance.

SS is good for athletes. Poor for BBing imo unless your upper body genetics are far better than lower (Even then side delts and lats are barely hit if at all, biceps and forearms hardly hit, if you clean and not row the mid back is barely hit too).

Means I can nail bench/OHP fresh (Rather than after squats/DLs), more room for assistance tailored to lagging body parts etc. Also it gives me something to do in the summer, running a full body routine 7 times a week is a bad idea.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 825
Original post by Slick Fosbury

Yeah I thought about that but progress would probably stall a lot quicker that way. It's only during the holidays the temptation is there, during term time 4 times a week is the perfect number.
Reply 826
Bench

60kg x 5
80kg x 3
100kg x 3

120kg x 3
130kg x 1
135kg x 1

Squats

60kg x 5
100kg x 5
120kg x 3
150kg x 1
162.5kg x 1f2

Lots of strongman stuff - 115kg farmers each hand hold 48 seconds, 106.6kg axle clean (failed press), log clean + press 80kg x 1, 90kg failed press, 60kg strict barbell curl
Original post by u4m1r

Lots of strongman stuff - 115kg farmers each hand hold 48 seconds, 106.6kg axle clean (failed press), log clean + press 80kg x 1, 90kg failed press, 60kg strict barbell curl

You're still weighing at around 80kg right? If you drop 5kg in the next 6 weeks you could do quite awesome at an U75kg strongman comp with lifts like that.

What are farmers walks like? I've never tried them with proper things, Only Dumbells...

Also, what is it like C&P'ing a log compared to a normal bar?
Nun said earlier that it's basically like a strict press with less ROM.
Reply 828
Original post by Motorbiker
You're still weighing at around 80kg right? If you drop 5kg in the next 6 weeks you could do quite awesome at an U75kg strongman comp with lifts like that.

What are farmers walks like? I've never tried them with proper things, Only Dumbells...

You only lift the weight and walk :tongue:
Goal is to cover as much distance as possible , or time , etc
Original post by liftorrot
You only lift the weight and walk :tongue:
Goal is to cover as much distance as possible , or time , etc

Thanks. Looking very manly in your latest vids btw, May want to change the gender sign on your profile bit...

What i meant was what is lifting a set set for farmers walk like compared to lifting heavy ass dumbells for the same weight. People have told me Dumbells is harder but i don't know why it would be...
Reply 830
Thanks. Looking very manly in your latest vids btw, May want to change the gender sign on your profile bit...

What i meant was what is lifting a set set for farmers walk like compared to lifting heavy ass dumbells for the same weight. People have told me Dumbells is harder but i don't know why it would be...

Now that you have mentioned it , fine I will change it :tongue:
I have tried FW on dumbbells so far .. I suppose it'd get difficult to lift heavier dumbbells as they may restrict the movement because of the size and maybe excessive rotation ?
Reply 831

Farmers walk is pretty fun. I only did 115kg holds, walking would be a lot harder.

Logs are ****ing hard! Especially to press. I'd say in order of increasing difficulty - Barbell -> Axle -> Log

EDIT: I wouldnt say logs are like strict press, we used a huge log which was 60kg on its own and the diameter was huge so my hands were nearly 2 feet in front of my face which is an awkward position to press from. I liked using the axle though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Have you seen good progress with doing roughly 5x10 on DB pressing in terms of shoulder strength?
Reply 833
Overhead press

bar x 5
50kg x 5

60kg x 5
67.5kg x 3
75kg x 6 - PR

DB shoulder press

30kg x 10
30gk x 10
30kg x 6
24kg x 10
20kg x 16

Side raises, dips, pushdowns etc.
Reply 834
Keep it up bro , solid pressing !
nice overhead
This cheeky prick doesn't even reply to my message.
Reply 837
Original post by Michael XYZ
This cheeky prick doesn't even reply to my message.

I believe my latest training session answers your question.
Not really... hard to say if that's the reason or not. =/
Reply 839
Deadlift

70kg x 5
120kg x 3

170kg x 5
190kg x 3
210kg x 5 - PR

Bent over rows

120kg x 8
120kg x 8
90kg x 12