The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Language marks - REMARK?

I got a grade 7 (108 marks) in English Language, 5 marks off an 8.

Paper 1: 42/80 (Grade 5)
Paper 2: 66/80 (Grade 9)

I was shocked by the low mark in Paper 1. I decided to go a step futher and get the marks for each question.

Paper 1:
Q1: 4/4
Q2: 2/8
Q3: 4/8
Q4: 7/20
Q5: 14/24 11/16

Paper 2:
Q2: 6/8
Q3: 7/12
Q4: 12/16
Q5: 22/24 15/16

The discrepancy between the two marks is alarming. To say I am shocked regarding the marks for Paper 1 is a massive understatement. If I were to remark Paper 1, I would need to lose 4 marks to get a grade 6 overall. However, since I have been given low enough marks on questions already, i doubt it would fall even more. I am 5 marks away from an 8, so I need your help and advice.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
I did quite similar to you:

Paper 1: 45/80 (Grade 6)
Paper 2: 74/80 (Grade 9)

I'm curious as to how you got the marks for each question? Did you request the script?

Also, English being in the subjective nature it is would make it quite difficult to move anywhere, but at the same time very easy, depending on how much you are risking.

Reasonable marks shouldn't be changed, so this has to be taken into consideration. I got a grade 7 as well and honestly I would say just be happy with it, it's not really worth the 4 mark gap and I was graded 4s and 5s throughout the year.
Original post by timif2
I did quite similar to you:

Paper 1: 45/80 (Grade 6)
Paper 2: 74/80 (Grade 9)

I'm curious as to how you got the marks for each question? Did you request the script?

Also, English being in the subjective nature it is would make it quite difficult to move anywhere, but at the same time very easy, depending on how much you are risking.

Reasonable marks shouldn't be changed, so this has to be taken into consideration. I got a grade 7 as well and honestly I would say just be happy with it, it's not really worth the 4 mark gap and I was graded 4s and 5s throughout the year.

My exams officer gave me the marks

I've never got below 50 marks in my mocks and practice tests, paper 1 isn't a reasonable mark and clearly doesn't reflect my ability. I was predicted a 7/8 so I think there may be a chance in the mark going up. I highly doubt I could lose even more marks.
The marks might not change. Have u got ur teacher to check the paper with u? 7 is the equivalent of an A, I suppose that is good enough. On one of my GCSEs, I was one ums away from an A* but I chose not to remark. No point for me to waste money on one grade. It probs not gonna affect my life massively. I'd say be happy with what u've got. If it is just the examiner being a little bit too harsh, and lowered ur grade from 8 to 7, just proves that ur work was not good enough to be a very secure 8.
Reply 4
Original post by DreamChaser2001
I got a grade 7 (108 marks) in English Language, 5 marks off an 8.

Paper 1: 42/80 (Grade 5)
Paper 2: 66/80 (Grade 9)

I was shocked by the low mark in Paper 1. I decided to go a step futher and get the marks for each question.

Paper 1:
Q2: 2/8
Q3: 4/8
Q4: 7/20
Q5: 14/24 11/16

Paper 2:
Q2: 6/8
Q3: 7/12
Q4: 12/16
Q5: 22/24 15/16

The discrepancy between the two marks is alarming. To say I am shocked regarding the marks for Paper 1 is a massive understatement. If I were to remark Paper 1, I would need to lose 4 marks to get a grade 6 overall. However, since I have been given low enough marks on questions already, i doubt it would fall even more. I am 5 marks away from an 8, so I need your help and advice.

My paper one as low too, can I ask you how you got the marks for each question pls?
Reply 5
I got grade 5 and I’m really disappointed by the results and I’m one mark away from grade 6 ; still confused ;should I get my paper remarked specially when I think that I didn’t attempt the paper that bad to get grade 5.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
I got a 3 and was 6 marks away from a 4 should I get it remarked. Has anyone ever got it remarked and was their a big different
Q: my child got a 6 in English Language but wasn’t given the mark equivalent only an end1 which is a D how can I find out what her mark equivalent is?

Quick Reply

Latest