The Student Room Group

5/3/1 attempt no.2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by SummerSofas
i've never seen anyone use T bar at my gym, looks like an exercise where you use a lot of weight though. how much do you t bar row compared to barbell row?

Its not a proper t bar, we just put the barbell in a corner and get on of those V handle thingys. Its similar to a t bar. And about weight, I was doing 120kg today strict for 6 reps. It easier than barbell rows.

One time something embarassing happend though. I saw a small chinese guy doing like 180kg for reps, but they weren't real reps, his friend helped him get if off the ground, and then was even helping him do the reps. I felt like a proper SummerSofas and said let me try, thinking I could do it easily. I couldn't even get it off the ground :colondollar:
Original post by u4m1r
Its not a proper t bar, we just put the barbell in a corner and get on of those V handle thingys. Its similar to a t bar. And about weight, I was doing 120kg today strict for 6 reps. It easier than barbell rows.

One time something embarassing happend though. I saw a small chinese guy doing like 180kg for reps, but they weren't real reps, his friend helped him get if off the ground, and then was even helping him do the reps. I felt like a proper SummerSofas and said let me try, thinking I could do it easily. I couldn't even get it off the ground :colondollar:

on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the weakest male in the gym, 5 being the average dude working out, and 10 being the man beast, where do you come at your place?
Reply 102
on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the weakest male in the gym, 5 being the average dude working out, and 10 being the man beast, where do you come at your place?

Never underestimate the skinny Chinese guy.

jks jks

Original post by u4m1r

Original post by redbuthotter
Never underestimate the skinny Chinese guy.

jks jks

my gym has a skinny chinese dude, at around my shoulder height.

once you go below 7.5 kg the gym dumbells no longer use the same circumference weight plates, and this guy had a couple of the 5kg DBs and was doing lateral raises.

the smallest guy in the gym, targeting the smallest muscles in his body
Reply 105
Deadlift

70kg x 5
120kg x 5

155kg x 5
175kg x 3
195kg x 7
215kg x 1 - Just felt like going for a heavy single, was OK considering I just did a balls to the wall set.

More deadlift

90kg x 10
90kg x 10
90kg x 10
90kg x 10
90kg x 10

Abs
Original post by u4m1r
Deadlift

70kg x 5
120kg x 5

155kg x 5
175kg x 3
195kg x 7
215kg x 1 - Just felt like going for a heavy single, was OK considering I just did a balls to the wall set.

More deadlift

90kg x 10
90kg x 10
90kg x 10
90kg x 10
90kg x 10

Abs

whats your 1RM OHP and 1RM PP brother?i'm trying to get a feel for the ratio
Reply 107
whats your 1RM OHP and 1RM PP brother?i'm trying to get a feel for the ratio

Mine is bad. I'm crap at push pressing. 92.5kg and 100kg.
Original post by u4m1r
Mine is bad. I'm crap at push pressing. 92.5kg and 100kg.

i think that you, like me have a fairly high bench compared to squat. i'd say that lower body strength isn't quite on par with upper body and therefore leg drive isn't adding as much as it does for some lifters
Reply 109
i think that you, like me have a fairly high bench compared to squat. i'd say that lower body strength isn't quite on par with upper body and therefore leg drive isn't adding as much as it does for some lifters

We can be like Big Z, strict press all the weights out while everyone else struggles to push press them :smile:
Original post by u4m1r
We can be like Big Z, strict press all the weights out while everyone else struggles to push press them :smile:

haha, or at my gym more like strict press all the weights that most guys struggle to squat
I saw noobs at my gym squatting between 40 - 50kg for workset.... its a tragedy

haha, or at my gym more like strict press all the weights that most guys struggle to squat
Reply 113
Original post by Arturo Bandini

Fail. Can't see pic.
Reply 114

What's even worse is they've been on the same weights for years.
Original post by u4m1r
Fail. Can't see pic.

That's your problem not mine!

the gym needs little guys to make us intermediate lifters feel strong and encouraged?

besides i love it when said noobs watch me squat 120 kg
Reply 117
Bench

60kg x 5
90kg x 5
100kg x 5
120kg x 4 + 1 rep where the spotter touched the bar when there was no need. Damn him!
130kg x 2 - got a different spotter for this but he still touched the bar on the 2nd rep again there was no need.

Close grip bench

60kg x 10
80kg x 10
100kg x 6

Bent over rows

60kg x 8
110kg x 8
110kg x 8
110kg x 8

Dips

BW x 12
BW x 12
BW + 18kg x 8

Pulldowns
Hammer curls
Facepulls

I did hammer curls because I read somewhere Scott Mendelson said they help for bench.
Reply 118
Squat

Bar x lots
70kg x 5
110kg x 5

122.5kg x 3
130kg x 3
137.5kg x 8 - last rep was probably high
150kg x 1
170kg x fail

Trying 170 after an all out set was probably not the best idea :p:

Abs