The Student Room Group

Would you take the blue pill or the red pill?

Poll

I would take the ...

The terms redpill and its opposite, bluepill, are pop culture terms that have become a common metaphor for the choice between the blissful ignorance of illusion (blue) and embracing the sometimes painful truth of reality (red).

A slight spin on the Matrix usage of it. If you were offered both pills, blue allowing you to continue your blissful life in ignorance (wiping your memory of ever being presented the decision to choose) and red allowing you the answer, the truth, to every question, to the meaning of life and to the nature of reality ... which would you take? Is ignorance truly bliss for you? Or would you accept the reality however horrifying and revealing?

It's an interesting question and I'm interested in the response. Please justify your choice. :smile:

(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Red.
Reply 2
Red, always. Amassing truth and knowledge and gaining wisdom is the highest virtue.

This one's like Plato's cave.
Red. People just aren't meant to know everything, but I am.

Nah, just kidding, I'm a bit thick really. I could do with being clevererer.
(edited 13 years ago)
When i feel bloated, I use Activia. Come on girls, lets do it the activia way :biggrin:
Reply 5
Red. I'd want to know. Especially if I'd been told that I wasn't in reality, if I took the blue pill it would bug me for ever after.

(Unless that's accounted for in the film? Like you don't have any recollection of taking anything if you take the blue one?)

Should I watch the Matrix? I believe it's quite famous.

Edit: okay, I reread the OP.
Ape Gone Insane
(wiping your memory of ever being presented the decision to choose).

It is an interesting question though, and I think I'd still want the red pill.

I like how the graph bar for 'red' is blue, and vice versa :teehee:
(edited 13 years ago)
Seriously, I would take blue. I'd rather live a simple happy life, then have to worry with the amount i'd learn from taking the red pill.
Reply 7
Blue because when you take the red you can't guarantee that it's not just another blissful ignorance.

Say in the matrix, how do they know if they're still not inside a computer?
Reply 8
Red. Sure, ignorance would be nice, to have a normal life etc. but taking the Red Pill would make you feel more important in a weird way, to know everything there is to know. I guess there would be more purpose aswell, because you would know what is really going on?
I'm not sure and I'm kinda thinking about the Matrix reality, as in the war against the sentient machines, because I don't really know what the truth of our life would be..
Reply 9
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
A slight spin on the Matrix usage of it. If you were offered both pills, blue allowing you to continue your blissful life in ignorance and red allowing you the answer, the truth, to every question, to the meaning of life and to the nature of reality ... which would you take? Is ignorance truly bliss for you? Or would you accept the reality however horrifying and revealing.

It's an interesting question and I'm interested in the response. Please justify your choice. :smile:

Red!

Do you do affiliate marketing by the way?
Reply 10
blue pill... the truth is ugly! give me fake butterflies and rainbows any day :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
blue allowing you to continue your blissful life in ignorance

Quite an easy choice, since I don't feel my life is blissful in my ignorance anyway :wink:
Red. I know I'd probably end up hating all the knowledge it gave me, but to choose to be ignorant is personally a depressing thought - not when I had the option to be enlightened as well. I know that living in ignorance would probably make me happier, but I wouldn't be content, which would taint that happiness forever.
Red, though sometimes I feel like I've already taken it :awesome:
Reply 14
would I know what sort of truth the red pill gave me?
Reply 15
Blue. Reality is fine right now.
Blissful ignorance, because I wouldn't know what I'm missing.
The second one, even though it would make me miserable. I can't stand ignorance.
Reply 18
Red, because it looks delicious.
Reply 19
Red, as they say knowledge is power :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending