The Student Room Group

Do any non-Oxbridge uni students have advice for a year 12 student?

I just saw a similar thread related to Oxbridge students, and I was wondering what kind of things you need to be doing in year 12 to get into a uni like LSE, UCL, King's, Imperial, Warwick, Durham, etc. because their admission processes will obviously be different to that of Oxbridge. How important are extra curriculars? Like, does it matter if you've been dancing for years but haven't gained any qualifications? Thanks
Extracurriculars matter little, unless they relate to your chosen course. That also applies to Oxford and Cambridge

Really, the differences in Oxford and Cambridge applications and 'other' applications come after you submit the UCAS form - SAQs, admissions tests, interviews... You need a strong application with a good PS for any university application.
Reply 2
Original post by TheSownRose
Extracurriculars matter little, unless they relate to your chosen course. That also applies to Oxford and Cambridge

Really, the differences in Oxford and Cambridge applications and 'other' applications come after you submit the UCAS form - SAQs, admissions tests, interviews... You need a strong application with a good PS for any university application.

That depends on the uni - Oxbridge really don't care about extra-curriculars unless they are related to your course (eg going on archaeology digs).

Durham, for instance, look for well-rounded people. Now they're clearly not going to reject an outstanding applicant because they don't happen to do sport, but their admissions policy does say they look for more than someone who doesn't do anything except study:

"Multiple factors are taken into account to identify the most able candidates and this is determined by academic staff who are experts in their field and actively involved in teaching their subject. These factors include (1) A-Level (or equivalent) grades; (2) GCSE (or equivalent) grades; (3) the personal statement; (4) the reference; (5) the development of study skills; (6) motivation for the degree programme applied for; (7) independence of thought and working; (8) skills derived from non-academic extra-curricular activities such as engagement in sport, the arts or voluntary and community work; and (9) contextual consideration of merit and potential."

http://www.dur.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/policy/

(For the OP though, don't do anything just to put it on your ucas form! It's usually very obvious when people do that - a random "I have played for the school football team" sentence in a personal statement just looks odd. Do things you're genuinely interested in, try and do some wider reading to help you work out which bits of your subject you're really interested in, and what you'd like to learn more about, and then use your genuine non-academic and academic interests to show you have skills which will be useful as a student :smile: )
Reply 3
Original post by oreo1234
I just saw a similar thread related to Oxbridge students, and I was wondering what kind of things you need to be doing in year 12 to get into a uni like LSE, UCL, King's, Imperial, Warwick, Durham, etc. because their admission processes will obviously be different to that of Oxbridge. How important are extra curriculars? Like, does it matter if you've been dancing for years but haven't gained any qualifications? Thanks

What matters to get into these unis?
-Doing the right subjects- so not so many "soft" subjects and appropriate subjects for the course
-Getting A's at AS.
-Getting appropriate work experience, especially for vocational courses e.g. Law/Medince/Dentistry
-Putting together a good PS which explains why you want to do the course and not a list of your ECs

In answer to your question EC's matter very little especialy those e.g. dancing which arent relevant to the course
Reply 4
EVEN IF YOU THINK NOW THE UNIVERSITIES YOU WANT TO APPLY TO WON'T ACCEPT GENERAL STUDIES, DON'T JUST WASTE YOUR TIME AND TAKE THE PISS ON THE EXAM, ACTUALLY DO SOME REVISION ON IT AND TRY TO DO THE BEST YOU CAN.

I can not stress that point enough. Up until the start of November I thought I'd apply for Law then I changed my mind to History because I thought about it and thought I'd rather go to a reputable University for History and maybe do a conversion course than go to Oxford Brookes due to my grades. (NOTE: I'm not insulting anyone who goes to a "less" reputable university to do Law, I just personally wouldn't feel as comfortable as an individual doing it.)

As luck would have it, my uni's accept General Studies and now I'm predicted ABB with General Studies except ABC of which I doubt I'd get a C in English anyway because I'm hopelessly awful at it.

Oh, and do extra circular as much as possible. St. John Ambulance, plays, art work, tutoring, whatever you want to do just do it. Don't get lazy, you'll regret it when you go to write your personal statement.
Reply 5
Original post by TheSownRose
Extracurriculars matter little, unless they relate to your chosen course. That also applies to Oxford and Cambridge/

I disagree, you will find quite a few unis will prefer an applicant who is not all about Academia ! For example, sports, volunteering, both of which will strenghten your application.
I spoke to many admissions tutors when I applied for university ( currently have 5 offers ) and they all told me that relevant work experience is a key thing looked for in Personal Statements. Furthermore get your grades!!!
Original post by hazelnut1
I disagree, you will find quite a few unis will prefer an applicant who is not all about Academia ! For example, sports, volunteering, both of which will strenghten your application.
I spoke to many admissions tutors when I applied for university ( currently have 5 offers ) and they all told me that relevant work experience is a key thing looked for in Personal Statements. Furthermore get your grades!!!

Relevant being the key word. Volunteering with the scouts or brownies will be immensely helpful if applying for something leadership or child related; kind of irrelevant to drop into a physics PS.
Send off your UCAS application as early as you can. Some universities give out early waves of offers (i.e: October-November time). There's no harm in getting it sent off early and it is a subtle way of showing how keen you are and you could find yourself holding offers even before Christmas.
Reading widely around your subject is always good too. It'll look much better on your personal statement than some irrelevant and pointless extra-curricular.
I'd suggest it depends on the subject. I know UCL History wanted a PS that showed enthusiasm for the subject and elegance of writing and they definitely wanted wider reading. I'm pretty sure that counted a lot more than irrelevant extra-curriculars everyone else would have :smile:.

As mentioned before, when when you're going for universities close to Oxbridge standard, the admissions criteria is pretty similar, in my experience anyway.
Reply 10
Definitely get your UCAS form in as soon as possible. Not necessarily as soon as the Oxbridge deadline but around October/November. Lots of people get offers around november and remember also that loads of people applying to Oxbridge will be applying to places along side it that you apply to as well so don't let them snatch up too many places :wink:.

Also really work hard on your personal statement - extra curricular is good but it's best when it links back to your chosen subject etc and read around your subject. Dont let too many people read it or you'll end up with conflicting opinions. Never use the word passionate. It's definitely not all about the grades so a personal statement is a really good way of making yourself stand out, especially if you don't have an interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending