The Student Room Group

Tottenham Hotspur Society II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HenryD
At the start of this season only 2 players had scored more La Liga goals since 2010 than Soldado. They are the 2 best players in the world playing in vastly superior teams to Valencia.

Out of Penaldado's 59 league goals in Spain, only 1 was scored outside the box...

Wouldn't call him lethal the same way I would could Chicharito lethal even though he has a goal to minute ratio similar to that of Henry's.
Reply 3981
Original post by mrdoovde1
Out of Penaldado's 59 league goals in Spain, only 1 was scored outside the box...

Wouldn't call him lethal the same way I would could Chicharito lethal even though he has a goal to minute ratio similar to that of Henry's.

Why does it matter where he scores them? That's a completely irrelevant point, a goal is a goal. On what basis would you call Chicharito (is he still alive?) more lethal?
As much as I am at odds with Alan Shearer for his ridiculous views regarding penalties among other things ('you're entitled to go down if there's contact'), I had to agree with him regarding Soldado on MOTD2 last night. He indeed scored all but a few goals for Valencia last season from inside the penalty area. So what we've got is a poacher, an upgrade on Defoe. This isn't necessarily bad, if you play to his strengths, but we didn't. Could really have done with Lennon cutting in less, and Dembélé starting (he had a great partnership with Sandro last season). I know Lamela likes playing on the right, but then his style contradicts Soldado's. We need more out and out wingers like Townsend in order to reap Soldado's strengths.
Original post by HenryD
Why does it matter where he scores them? That's a completely irrelevant point, a goal is a goal. On what basis would you call Chicharito (is he still alive?) more lethal?

Agree with this.

Chicharito and Soldado are almost the same. Pretty terrible at all other faces of the game bar poaching which in itself isn't a bad thing much like how he only scores from close by. Gerd Muller made a living just scoring from the penalty box or closer yet he's still rated pretty highly :lol:
Original post by diggy
The loss doesn't mean anything really humiliating yes but overall spurs are fine imo

Arsenal will probably be humiliated when they go to the Etihad but that will just be a loss of 3 points

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can think of at least four goals yesterday that were defensive **** ups and I can't see Arsenal being anywhere near that bad as to inflict such a defeat on themselves. Navas' first was obviously the fault of Lloris, for Aguero's first Lamela didn't even try to stop the cross, Negredo's second was the result of **** all pressure on the ball and Aguero's second was obviously Dawson's fault. Keep comforting yourself with that though.
Original post by Malevolent
Agree with this.

Chicharito and Soldado are almost the same. Pretty terrible at all other faces of the game bar poaching which in itself isn't a bad thing much like how he only scores from close by.

Yeah but one was a punt who turned out good, the other cost the best part of 30m. If you're buying poachers for 30m they'd better be van Nistelrooy levels.
Spurs just aren't playing to Soldado's strengths as Rockrun said. They are able to control games, and if they found a striker to fit their system they'd be pretty formidable imo.
Original post by HenryD

Didn't say it matters, but you claimed he was this 'lethal' players as if he could score 30 yards screamer and dribble past 7 players before finding the back of the net.

Negredo was available at the time for roughly the same price and is much better than Soldado. You spent £27m on a player is is 28 and has reached his peak; cant see him getting much better...but heh, be thankful you didn't go for Fellaini.

EDIT: Just realised Negredo cost £16m. Wow
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3988
Didn't say it matters, but you claimed he was this 'lethal' players as if he could score 30 yards screamer and dribble past 7 players before finding the back of the net.

Negredo was available at the time for roughly the same price and is much better than Soldado. You spent £27m on a player is is 28 and has reached his peak; cant see him getting much better...but heh, be thankful you didn't go for Fellaini.

Where did he claim that? Lethal is generally assumed to be a word associated with penalty box strikers because they don't do anything for the entire match but they are lethal when the ball drops at their feet in the area.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3989
Noticed something about this game. AVB initially got messed over, initially the first two goals were down to goalkeeping errors, I'm not one to make excuses, but when you're two nil down for no reason, there's little to no blame you can attribute to the manager.

At the point after is where you could blame the manager, which has happened in many other cases, zurich of all people should know when chasing a game rather than defending all match has ended up in the team receiving a battering, so should united fans, my club dished one out to united when united won the treble, and city also dished one out when they decided to chase the game back at 3-1.

It seems that AVB is starting to have similar problems to what he encountered at chelsea, anyway back to my point, he then decides to chase the game even more, I believe that AVB is a very proactive manager, but is not a reactive manager, at the point where he realised that lloris wasn't going to save the pathetic excuses for offside traps and covering of the likes of dawson and kaboul like he did against arsenal and many other games the past season and a half, he should have parked bus(the 3-0 stage) however as has happened to him(3-3 draw at united) he felt that he could dominate the opposition despite citys counter-attacking prowess and generally stronger midfield.

Again, one can attribute that problem in defence to shifting your best CB out of position and playing kaboul(who has had little PL time am I right?) Anyway, he had the right idea in taking off townsend and starting lamela out on the left and lennon on the right, sandro could have been sent off although wasn't too bad in the first half, but he would have been better suited with dembele, or playing in a 4-3-3 to restrict the space of toure and fernandinho.

Final point, I'd fine all the back 4 if I was AVB.
Reply 3990
Original post by Zürich
Yes mate, we look like the kind of team that gets humiliated these days. Kosc/Mert/Sagna/gibbs all over the shop and not a clean sheet in sight :rolleyes:

Yeah and before going to the eithad Tottenham had the best away record in the league

Man City are beasts at home you guys couldn't habdle Manchester United you lost 1 - 0 but none of your players turned up
Now magnify that by ten and you have a small image of what will happen at the eithad
Original post by diggy
Yeah and before going to the eithad Tottenham had the best away record in the league

Man City are beasts at home you guys couldn't habdle Manchester United you lost 1 - 0 but none of your players turned up
Now magnify that by ten and you have a small image of what will happen at the eithad

How was your champions league game today?
Reply 3992
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/26/andre-villas-boas-tottenham-manager?CMP=twt_gu

The Guardian reporting AVB is on the verge of being fired, with the odds being slashed by bookmakers too. Obviously a pinch of salt heavily advised, but how would you guys feel about this? And who would you want to replace him?
The Mail claimed that as well, but these are the same papers that claimed there was a dressing room revolt over the prospect of him being appointed. He wont get the sack because of a 6-0 defeat, and I don't see Levy as someone who makes a decision like that so shortly after he's given the go ahead to invest significant funds into what is effectively a new team.

Villas-Boas gave us our highest ever point tally in his first season, and also the most amount of games unbeaten we've ever had. After 12 games in the league Spurs are, albiet ninth, 2 points off of the Champions League. We're also doing decent in the cup tournaments.

As you can probably tell, I don't want Villas-Boas sacked. :3
If it makes getting a ticket to an away game any easier, then I'm all for the 'crisis'. Perhaps I might be able to support my club with like-minded fans in peace.
AVB is in a negative spiral....:rolleyes:
Reply 3996

Well you did when you posted like it was relevant, and when you immediately went to make that exact point. That's no what lethal means, nowhere does it require him to be able to do that.
I'm happy with a draw.

Apparently we played quite well, so hopefully it's onwards and upwards from here.

AVB remains unbeaten as Spurs manager in league games against United. :cool:
Reply 3999
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/9052875/premier-league-andre-villas-boas-hits-out-after-tottenham-draw-with-manchester-united
Got a point tbh. I saw that article headline, very insulting tbh. I back AVB to do well tbh. Was a good performance and you were unlucky to not win I feel. I think you'll put that into the next performance though and get some goals hopefully.

Quick Reply

Latest