The Student Room Group

Design for Film and tv at Nottingham Trent

Hey,

I'm applying for design for film & tv at Nottingham Trent. Got my interview on the 2nd Feb 2010, but I have no idea what kinda questions they'll ask or what they want to see in a portfolio?! All 4 of my other choices are Fine Art and I sort of know what I'm doing with them, but for this one I'm really stuck.

HELP :confused: please.
Reply 1
Hey! I had that exact same interview last year which I got an unconditional offer for. I didn't end up going to university last year but they were really nice so don't worry. :smile:

What I'd recommend you do is get a book you're familiar with and draw little sketches of how you'd put a particular scene into a TV or film programme. They really liked that. For example, before The Lovely Bones came out at the cinema, I read the book and drew little sketches of how I pictured the scenes in my head, and then compared them to the film directors vision. They don't have to be works of art but they really like it when you do stuff in your spare time; it shows you're interested.

They also asked me why they should give me a place on the course being as all my other applications were for Illustration/Fine Art and it was random compared to the others and obviously not planned. If they ask you that, ramble on about how you like to try new things and work hard at anything that's thrown at you.

It wasn't a hard interview at all, they were really friendly so if it's anything like mine, don't worry. Just take your portfolio, do some sketches and anything else in relation to the course and go for it! :smile: I hope it goes well.

Quick Reply

Latest