The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

The Official Carr-Saunders Hall Thread 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Milan.
its falling apart, plastic everywhere on the floors, half broken hallways
although to be fair they're refurbishing (which means lots of builders milling around roseberry from 8am in the morning ... making noise)

oh and the small showers, the touch sensor ones that when you go to dry yourself, will switch on and wet you again + your towel! fun times!

bu they are improving roseberry this year!

theres a female only toilet on the ground floor
i've hardly ever encountered anyone in the showers and toilets, for some reason people hardly ever go to the toilet at the same time
and i think i've seen one person at the showers at the same time once this year...

showers are very private, locked and no wait you can see anyone or open the locks etc.

as said above, when you get here only then you realise that its actually not an issue and having the luxury of not having to clean your bathroom definitely pays off when most of us students are either lazy/messy or busy working

Milannuuhhh! Have you left facebook yet :cool:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 61
Original post by candii
Thanks for the advice on considering the area and facilities, I think that's the best way to go about making the decision. As well as hall size, as Rosebery is double the size of Carr Saunders.

Do you ever find Carr Saunders ever too small? Do you wish it was bigger, so that you would find more like minded people? Or is the size just right?

carr saunders being small is what makes it so social everyone knows everyone, gossip travels very quickly! everyone is friends with everyone and everyone goes out in large groups!

similarly, lse is such a small university you're bound to make friends on your course, in classes and societies

i find that i have made so many friends on campus from my course, during/after/before lectures, through societies and generally through other people

i found it funny when i net someone from bankside and then another person from bankside and they didnt know each other.... then i realised that banksides huge lol
similar with rosebery
personally, i know that ive found friends like minded in halls and many out of halls aswell
Reply 62
hey! so i just applied for accomodation, carr saunders as first choice. standard. just wondering, when do you usually hear by? (any earlier than may 1st?
Reply 63
Original post by Milan.
carr saunders being small is what makes it so social everyone knows everyone, gossip travels very quickly! everyone is friends with everyone and everyone goes out in large groups!

similarly, lse is such a small university you're bound to make friends on your course, in classes and societies

i find that i have made so many friends on campus from my course, during/after/before lectures, through societies and generally through other people

i found it funny when i net someone from bankside and then another person from bankside and they didnt know each other.... then i realised that banksides huge lol
similar with rosebery
personally, i know that ive found friends like minded in halls and many out of halls aswell

Thanks for that.
How would you say the mix of people at Carr Saunders is? Is there a good mix between, black, white and asian people? Are the cliquey groups? Or is there a strong community feeling despite differences? I would appreciate an honest opinion.
Thanks
Reply 64
Original post by candii
Thanks for that.
How would you say the mix of people at Carr Saunders is? Is there a good mix between, black, white and asian people? Are the cliquey groups? Or is there a strong community feeling despite differences? I would appreciate an honest opinion.
Thanks

nice mix, no majority groups
strong community feel and mix
as usual, the orientals do stick to themselves, but thats not a problem
everyone mixes
everyone goes out together
not sure what more to say, i'll let the other saunderites answer this one

candii
Hiya,

Thanks for your comments on the threads I've really appreciated them:smile:

I wanted to know whether you mixed with students from other Unis much? Because I visited Carr Saunders recently and saw that Ramsay Hall was nearby. And also with people from other LSE halls or do you just stick to the people in Saunders? Plus are there many social events run by the Committee for the hall?

I also have to choose 3 intercollegiate halls, I'm interested in Hughes Parry, Connaught and Commonwealth. What is your experience with intercollegiate Halls, which ones tend to be the most social and have a decent number of LSE students?

Also, I have an offer for Law and was thinking of doing a language course in French on top of it, in your opinion do you think that is advisory or just too much work?

Thanks

i put this here, hope you dont mind, might be helpful to others

mixing with others depends on you, up to you
i have 5 friends who live in ramsey, and so i went there and then ended up going there a a few more times in the year and making friends with their friends
i have a friend in astor college halls too

the committee will do what it can to ensure freshers have an amazing time!

the intercollegiate i know most about is college hall, its amazing and in a great location, its fairly social... however... its fricken expensive

hughes parry is fairly decent, again in a good location just near euston station, quite far from LSE though, 30 mins walk, the rooms are ok, theres no sink in them!! its a huge place aswell 13+ floors, i cant remember the exact number

with intercollegiate, if you're placed in them, its not the end of the world!
they hvae less LSE students than other students
i cant give a generalised view from someone in intercollegiate because eeveryone i know from intercollegiate halls have a different story, most of them spend a lot of time in LSE halls or have plenty of lse friends through societies and their course

dont know too much about language
when i started the year i enquired about language, but they warned me that they push you a lot and that its very very hard! so that put me off lol... oh and the fact they didnt do level 1 german put me off aswell
apparently they try get you to become fluent in a year... thats just a rumour though, dont go by what i say, ask someone whos done language
Reply 65
I haven't hear much about Passfield. How does that compare with CS, especially socially?

Thanks
Reply 66
Original post by sampeat

Original post by sampeat
I haven't hear much about Passfield. How does that compare with CS, especially socially?

Thanks

dunno
lols

candii

This may seem really precise, but are the corridors in Saunders wide? Because when I visited High Holborn on the visit day, we had to walk more or less single file, and I found the place quite claustrophobic and tiny. Would you say Carr Saunders is spacious?

Thanks

carr saunders is perfectly spacious
never felt claustrophobic in any way

nice question!
Original post by Milan.
dunno
lols

nice question!

Hey Milan,

just wondering do London applicants get a less priority? I live in London but I want to move out and I heard they hold your application back so does that mean I'm less likely to get my first choice?

Thanks.
Reply 68
Original post by Anita B. Studin

Hey Milan,

just wondering do London applicants get a less priority? I live in London but I want to move out and I heard they hold your application back so does that mean I'm less likely to get my first choice?

Thanks.

i live in london
i got my first choice
all of my london friends got their first choice: bankside
every LSE student gets accomodation, not necessarily their first choice, but you're guaranteed as an LSE student (unless things change this year)
Original post by Milan.
i live in london
i got my first choice
every LSE student gets accomodation, not necessarily their first choice, but you're guaranteed as an LSE student (unless things change this year)

Thats great!

btw are you moving back in for your 2nd year? do you think the social and all other benefits of living out of home outweigh the cost of living by yourself in London?
Reply 70
Thats great!

btw are you moving back in for your 2nd year? do you think the social and all other benefits of living out of home outweigh the cost of living by yourself in London?

yeah as a committee member im given accommodation so i'll be living out
definitely prefer living out! freedom, social life, nearer to uni etc. and will be easier for me as im in commmittes for 2 other societies aswell that require work and for me to be on campus a lot
theres obviously financial cost, but hopefully one day it will pay off!
Original post by Milan.
yeah as a committee member im given accommodation so i'll be living out
definitely prefer living out! freedom, social life, nearer to uni etc. and will be easier for me as im in commmittes for 2 other societies aswell that require work and for me to be on campus a lot
theres obviously financial cost, but hopefully one day it will pay off!

Yeah I agree, I just needed to convince my parents it was a wise decision since I only live 45mins way. I travel 45mins on the tube now to go to school anyway so they thought it was a stupid decision, but :tongue:

I joined, I think you've convinced me to put CS down as one of my 3 choices :smile:
Reply 73
Yeah I agree, I just needed to convince my parents it was a wise decision since I only live 45mins way. I travel 45mins on the tube now to go to school anyway so they thought it was a stupid decision, but :tongue:

I joined, I think you've convinced me to put CS down as one of my 3 choices :smile:

definitely made a great decision!
as good as home can be, its best to stay out at least the first year! (if not all 3 :tongue:)

saunders, rosebery and passfield have 31 week contract, which can be good for people who live in the UK
its also good during exam time for me, dont want to cook and clean for myself when i gotta work :tongue:
Original post by Milan.
definitely made a great decision!
as good as home can be, its best to stay out at least the first year! (if not all 3 :tongue:)

saunders, rosebery and passfield have 31 week contract, which can be good for people who live in the UK
its also good during exam time for me, dont want to cook and clean for myself when i gotta work :tongue:

ha that was exactly my plan.. how is your room? do you like it, or does it look like a prison cell? Shame we can't see CS on the visit day.

there are only 2 members in that group lol :frown:
Reply 75

ha that was exactly my plan.. how is your room? do you like it, or does it look like a prison cell? Shame we can't see CS on the visit day.

there are only 2 members in that group lol :frown:

i was lucky to be on the fitzroy side of the building (the side that looks over fitzroy street) which means i get a double bed :tongue:
i love my room, im used to a small room at home and the saunders room is bigger, fits my fridge has a sink and desk
its perfect!
apart from: gets a bit noisy, can hear the morning traffic because i like to keep my window open, but the doors and windows are quite good for soundproofing, theres a large enough cupboard for my things and enough hiding places that mean my room looks quite tidy

i think, if you call up the Saunders reception, you might be able to have a quick look around in the holiday... i dont know if they will or not, but i remember doing this long time ago

yeah the group was just created, give it some time and publicity it should improve
Reply 76
Original post by Milan.
i was lucky to be on the fitzroy side of the building (the side that looks over fitzroy street) which means i get a double bed :tongue:
i love my room, im used to a small room at home and the saunders room is bigger, fits my fridge has a sink and desk
its perfect!
apart from: gets a bit noisy, can hear the morning traffic because i like to keep my window open, but the doors and windows are quite good for soundproofing, theres a large enough cupboard for my things and enough hiding places that mean my room looks quite tidy

i think, if you call up the Saunders reception, you might be able to have a quick look around in the holiday... i dont know if they will or not, but i remember doing this long time ago

yeah the group was just created, give it some time and publicity it should improve

I didn't know any of the rooms had double beds..! Is it normally a shared one and you've just joined the beds or did you just get really lucky?? :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by alexia1
I didn't know any of the rooms had double beds..! Is it normally a shared one and you've just joined the beds or did you just get really lucky?? :smile:

one side of the building seems to have large beds... its like 1.5 bed... if you think of the standard width of a bed pillow, i can fit two side by side, thats the size of it :tongue:
they're single rooms! i just got lucky
Reply 78
Original post by Milan.
one side of the building seems to have large beds... its like 1.5 bed... if you think of the standard width of a bed pillow, i can fit two side by side, thats the size of it :tongue:
they're single rooms! i just got lucky

Oouh C-S is definitely rising above Rosebery at the moment..! Thanks for that!
Reply 79
Original post by Milan.
i live in london
i got my first choice

Hiya,
You said you got your first choice accommodation. How soon after accommodation opened on Hallpad did you apply
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending