The Student Room Group

A levels - Government and politics or classics??

I am not sure whether to go for GaP or classics?
Which one is better?

I am already going to do psychology, sociology, philsophy and ethics, and i need one more.
:/:/

Help!? Please?!
Reply 1
Depends. If you are a bit of a rah, do classics. If you want to learn something useful for your life, do Gov and Pol.
Reply 2
I have friends that do GaP, apparently it's rather easy. I'd go for Classics, since it's more different to all your subjects, and gives you a broad base in understanding literature, art and archaeology, politics, social stuffs. Plus it is an extremely well-respected A-level - by both unis and employers
Reply 3
I would go for Politics - extremely useful subject, and (provided you have some interest in politics) is fascinating, especially if you're allowed to debate issues in class. It's a good subject for debating because you can often link things you're studying with current affairs. It also goes well with your other subjects. :smile:
Politics every time.
Reply 5
Classics! It fits in so well with Philosophy and compliments Sociology really well too. It's very academic and valued particularly by top universities, as well as being endlessly interesting.

I might seem a bit biased, haha, but I know so many people that have dropped g&p but only a couple have dropped Classics in my college.

Do you have any idea of what you want to study after your a2s, maybe?
Reply 6
Classics ftw
Reply 7
It depends entirely on which syllabus you do. I do Both Politics and Classics, but I now dont relaly like either of them, because of all my subjects. I cant remember which syllabus I'm on for classics, but its extremely hard. Most of the course is studying sources, and LOTS of them. I'd reccomend politics.

Quick Reply

Latest