The Student Room Group

I'm not sure what to study as my third A level

Hi, I'm in Y10 rn but I've been thinking about the subjects I want to study at A level. I know I want to do biology and history since they are my two favourite subjects I'm studying now at GCSE level, but I'm not sure about my last option (Side note, I don't want to do more than 3 A levels). I also have no particular career path in mind so I can't really base my last choice on that either. Has anyone get any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by Daisy._.7777
Hi, I'm in Y10 rn but I've been thinking about the subjects I want to study at A level. I know I want to do biology and history since they are my two favourite subjects I'm studying now at GCSE level, but I'm not sure about my last option (Side note, I don't want to do more than 3 A levels). I also have no particular career path in mind so I can't really base my last choice on that either. Has anyone get any advice?

I would say, make a list of the subjects that you like, or A-levels that you haven't done but might be interested in, e.g. Law or Psychology. Then maybe do some research about these and maybe rank them to see which ones you might be interested in doing: if you like it you're much more likely to do well.

If you're not sure on future paths, it's generally recommended to do Facilitating subjects. You've already got 2, being Biology and History, as they're well respected. Biology leaves you open for a career related to that, and History provides large access to many essay-based careers or degrees. If you enjoy it at the moment, one subject that might be useful would be Mathematics - it's very well respected, but leaves you open for many careers - for example, it's wanted for Computer Science, Finance, general Maths, even medicine. If you don't enjoy Maths, you could always consider another Science-y subject to leave your options open for that route more, or a more vocational subject such as Drama or Product Design. As you've already got an essay-based subject you're fine for that route.

However unless you do think you'd be interested in going into a vocational route, I would say that it's not generally recommended to do them: they're not generally considered Facilitating, as they only really help you get into that certain pathway, unlike the sciences which are looked well on for multiple routes.

Obviously, in the end, it's completely up to you. It's much better to do something you like and get good marks rather than doing something you don't like but think leaves your career-paths open, and get worse marks. Hopefully this helps, it's one of those things that's hard to give advice on, but this is what I'd generally say :smile:. Best of luck with your GCSEs, and good luck wherever you go :biggrin:

P.S. as you're in year 10 at the moment, you've still got a while to choose - it might be worth asking teachers and such on what they think, or what their A-level courses are like, to get an idea of what you're getting into.
Original post by {Moss}
I would say, make a list of the subjects that you like, or A-levels that you haven't done but might be interested in, e.g. Law or Psychology. Then maybe do some research about these and maybe rank them to see which ones you might be interested in doing: if you like it you're much more likely to do well.

If you're not sure on future paths, it's generally recommended to do Facilitating subjects. You've already got 2, being Biology and History, as they're well respected. Biology leaves you open for a career related to that, and History provides large access to many essay-based careers or degrees. If you enjoy it at the moment, one subject that might be useful would be Mathematics - it's very well respected, but leaves you open for many careers - for example, it's wanted for Computer Science, Finance, general Maths, even medicine. If you don't enjoy Maths, you could always consider another Science-y subject to leave your options open for that route more, or a more vocational subject such as Drama or Product Design. As you've already got an essay-based subject you're fine for that route.

However unless you do think you'd be interested in going into a vocational route, I would say that it's not generally recommended to do them: they're not generally considered Facilitating, as they only really help you get into that certain pathway, unlike the sciences which are looked well on for multiple routes.

Obviously, in the end, it's completely up to you. It's much better to do something you like and get good marks rather than doing something you don't like but think leaves your career-paths open, and get worse marks. Hopefully this helps, it's one of those things that's hard to give advice on, but this is what I'd generally say :smile:. Best of luck with your GCSEs, and good luck wherever you go :biggrin:

P.S. as you're in year 10 at the moment, you've still got a while to choose - it might be worth asking teachers and such on what they think, or what their A-level courses are like, to get an idea of what you're getting into.

Most of this advice is fine but the facilitating subject issue has long since sailed. The Russell Group who championed it have withdrawn it and most of their universities didnt follow it anyway,

Top universities have a list of preferred subjects and both of OPs subjects are classed as preferred subjects. They want 2 from their list and the 3rd can be anything other than a small group. OP can take anything that interests them as a 3rd subject.

Maths if you are good at it opens more doors than anything else. It is the key subject and is needed for CS, Engineering and Economics. If OP is looking at things like Medicine or Pharmacy then Chemistry would be adviseable. Other than those any subject will go fine. Psychology fits well with Biology as does Geography. English sits well with History and subjects like Politics and Sociology might be interesting as well.

Other than trying to cover the science and finance route anything else will be as good as another. The key issue is enjoying the subject and achieving high grades.

Subject combinations and non-preferred subjects

The School considers not only the individual qualifications offered by applicants but also the combination of subjects offered. Individual degree programmes may have specific subject requirements or preferences which are listed in the admissions criteria for each individual programme. We also have a number of general policies, listed below.

We consider traditional academic subjects to be the best preparation for studying at LSE. We expect applicants to offer at least two full A-levels or IBDP Higher Levels in these subjects (although typically, applicants will apply with three or four); please see the list below for guidance.

Some subjects provide a less effective preparation for study at LSE. We refer to these as non-preferred subjects; please see the list below for guidance. These subjects should only be offered in combination with two traditional academic subjects.

Finally, there are a small number of A-levels which are normally excluded from our standard offer; please see the list below. Applicants should offer three full A-levels or equivalent alongside these subjects.

Common traditional academic/'generally preferred' subjects:

Ancient History
Biology
Classical Civilisation
Chemistry
Computing
Economics
Electronics
English (English Language, English Literature and English Language and Literature)
Further Mathematics*
Geography
Government and Politics
History
Languages: Modern Foreign, Classic and Community**
Law
Mathematics
Music
Philosophy
Physics
Psychology
Religious Studies
Sociology
Common "non-preferred" subjects:

Any Applied A-level
Accounting****
Art and Design
Business Studies
Citizenship Studies
Communication and Culture
Creative Writing
Design and Technology
Drama/Theatre Studies***
Film Studies
Health and Social Care
Home Economics
Information and Communication Technology
Leisure Studies
Media Studies
Music Technology
Physical Education/Sports Studies
Travel and Tourism
Normally excluded subjects:

Critical Thinking
General Studies
Global Perspectives and Research
Knowledge and Enquiry
Project Work
Thinking Skills
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
Most of this advice is fine but the facilitating subject issue has long since sailed. The Russell Group who championed it have withdrawn it and most of their universities didnt follow it anyway,

Top universities have a list of preferred subjects and both of OPs subjects are classed as preferred subjects. They want 2 from their list and the 3rd can be anything other than a small group. OP can take anything that interests them as a 3rd subject.

Maths if you are good at it opens more doors than anything else. It is the key subject and is needed for CS, Engineering and Economics. If OP is looking at things like Medicine or Pharmacy then Chemistry would be adviseable. Other than those any subject will go fine. Psychology fits well with Biology as does Geography. English sits well with History and subjects like Politics and Sociology might be interesting as well.

Other than trying to cover the science and finance route anything else will be as good as another. The key issue is enjoying the subject and achieving high grades.

Subject combinations and non-preferred subjects

The School considers not only the individual qualifications offered by applicants but also the combination of subjects offered. Individual degree programmes may have specific subject requirements or preferences which are listed in the admissions criteria for each individual programme. We also have a number of general policies, listed below.

We consider traditional academic subjects to be the best preparation for studying at LSE. We expect applicants to offer at least two full A-levels or IBDP Higher Levels in these subjects (although typically, applicants will apply with three or four); please see the list below for guidance.

Some subjects provide a less effective preparation for study at LSE. We refer to these as non-preferred subjects; please see the list below for guidance. These subjects should only be offered in combination with two traditional academic subjects.

Finally, there are a small number of A-levels which are normally excluded from our standard offer; please see the list below. Applicants should offer three full A-levels or equivalent alongside these subjects.

Common traditional academic/'generally preferred' subjects:

Ancient History
Biology
Classical Civilisation
Chemistry
Computing
Economics
Electronics
English (English Language, English Literature and English Language and Literature)
Further Mathematics*
Geography
Government and Politics
History
Languages: Modern Foreign, Classic and Community**
Law
Mathematics
Music
Philosophy
Physics
Psychology
Religious Studies
Sociology
Common "non-preferred" subjects:

Any Applied A-level
Accounting****
Art and Design
Business Studies
Citizenship Studies
Communication and Culture
Creative Writing
Design and Technology
Drama/Theatre Studies***
Film Studies
Health and Social Care
Home Economics
Information and Communication Technology
Leisure Studies
Media Studies
Music Technology
Physical Education/Sports Studies
Travel and Tourism
Normally excluded subjects:

Critical Thinking
General Studies
Global Perspectives and Research
Knowledge and Enquiry
Project Work
Thinking Skills

It's common usage nowadays to class 'Facilitating' subjects as any subjects that are liked by universities. I also note how nigh on all 'old-fashioned' facilitating subjects are still on the list of preferred subjects? However I appreciate your point, thank you. Maths is as I mentioned myself a brilliant A-level of course if liked. I was trying to tailor my advice, rather than saying what works well with their existing subjects, to show what leaves more doors open. For example, to do a Geography degree Geography is not needed, and hence unless OP enjoys it other subjects can leave more doors open. Sorry for the confusion. Nice points, I appreciate it.
(Original post by {Moss})It's common usage nowadays to class 'Facilitating' subjects as any subjects that are liked by universities. I also note how nigh on all 'old-fashioned' facilitating subjects are still on the list of preferred subjects? However I appreciate your point, thank you. Maths is as I mentioned myself a brilliant A-level of course if liked. I was trying to tailor my advice, rather than saying what works well with their existing subjects, to show what leaves more doors open. For example, to do a Geography degree Geography is not needed, and hence unless OP enjoys it other subjects can leave more doors open. Sorry for the confusion. Nice points, I appreciate it.

There are quite a number of subjects in LSEs preferred subject list that were not included in the facilitating subject list that was very narrow. Things like Government and Politics, Law, Sociology, Economics and others werent included in the very narrow facilitating subject advice being used by RG. UCLs list is far wider and includes things like Business studies.
Reply 5
Original post by {Moss}

Thanks for the advice! I actually have been considering maths as it's a subject I do enjoy, however I only have a 6 in it at the moment and I always see people saying it's recommend for those with grades 7-9 at GCSE. I guess I do have time to get my grades up, but I think I may wait to see my predicted grade for maths when I'm applying for colleges in Y11 before I make that decision. I definingly think if I'm going to pick any other stem subject it will be maths, since I know it's recommend to do two stem subjects together, but I don't really want to do chemistry or physics.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Daisy._.7777
Thanks for the advice! I actually have been considering maths as it's a subject I do enjoy, however I only have a 6 in it at the moment and I always see people saying it's recommend for those with grades 7-9 at GCSE. I guess I do have time to get my grades up, but I think I may wait to see my predicted grade for maths when I'm applying for colleges in Y11 before I make that decision. I definingly think if I'm going to pick any other stem subject it will be maths, since I know it's recommend to do two stem subjects together, but I don't really want to do chemistry or physics.

That's great! Yeah maths is extremely well respected and partners well with your other subjects, obviously you've got a while to choose too. Some sixth forms do accept grade 6, but again a year and you'll probably find your grades go up 1 or 2, especially as you enjoy it, which always helps. Good luck with everything:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending