The Student Room Group

i got a C in classics but i want to study it at uni [UPDATE]

so in my school you have april and september exams and they combine those to make your predicted grades for UCAS. I got an A in politics, B in english lit and C in classics for the september exams, but they most likely go up a grade for your predicted ones so hopefully i get A*AB or even AAB. the thing is i want to apply to ucl and their requirements for classics and the ancient world are AAB, so hopefully my predicted grades are A*AB or AAB, but im really worried because the B grade is in classics and i’m applying to study it at uni so i feel like they’ll judge my application quite a bit on that.
does anyone have any advice or idea if something like this could happen? ive asked my head of ucas and teacher she’s told me they uni won’t do that but im still in doubt

[UPDATE]

hi all, so i’ve received my official UCAS predicted grades and they are:

English: A
Classics: A
Politics B

i honestly have no idea how i got that A in classics (if you read above you’ll understand why i’m shocked). the only thing annoying me now is that i have a B in politics. to study classics nearly at every in requires AAB, but what’s pestering me is that in my school september exam for politics i received an A grade, and in my april exam i received a C, so there is evidence of improvement here. my teachers said that if there is evidence of improvement, only then they can predict you a grade higher. i understand why i would no receive an A* as my predicted grade for politics, but not even an A?? i am thinking of emailing my teachers about this. basically, i’m still a bit stressed because the grade requirements are AAB, but won’t UCL want a candidate with AAA instead? plus, i do not see in anyway why i would be predicted a B for politics if i have shown a clear sign of improvement, from a C grade to an A. any advice would be appreciated x
(edited 6 months ago)
Hi, my offspring is currently looking at Classics and Ancient History at a number of universities. I would suggest you look closely at entry requirements for the course not just the usual offer requirements. Some Universities have specific requirements/subjects for the course and others don’t. You need to look beyond the Grade requirement and see if they have a requirement for Classics/Latin/Greek to have already been taken and if so, do they have a required grade. Don’t worry too much that your predicted grade for the subject is a B if you are apply somewhere that doesn’t specifically require an A - there might be people applying you haven’t done classics at all.
It’s all about doing the research. Good luck and I hope you get an offer and the grades you need.
Reply 2
Original post by marz11
so in my school you have april and september exams and they combine those to make your predicted grades for UCAS. I got an A in politics, B in english lit and C in classics for the september exams, but they most likely go up a grade for your predicted ones so hopefully i get A*AB or even AAB. the thing is i want to apply to ucl and their requirements are AAB, so hopefully my predicted grades are A*AB or AAB, but im really worried because the B grade is in classics and i’m applying to study it at uni so i feel like they’ll judge my application quite a bit on that.
does anyone have any advice or idea if something like this could happen? ive asked my head of ucas and teacher she’s told me they uni won’t do that but im still in doubt

Regardless of whatever degree you choose, it is not going to be purely just that. In this situation, it is not purely going to be classics by itself, rather it will be an amalgamation of classics and other relevant subjects. You've demonstrated your strengths in your other 2 subjects which is really valuable and useful for you - they will also compliment your application a lot. I wouldn't be concerned about this, you still have plenty of time to improve anyway and A levels are known to be difficult. If it bothers you that much you could talk to some students at various unis about it or email the admissions department for more advice. I think you're doing really well though - Good luck with everything :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by thirdtimebuyer
Hi, my offspring is currently looking at Classics and Ancient History at a number of universities. I would suggest you look closely at entry requirements for the course not just the usual offer requirements. Some Universities have specific requirements/subjects for the course and others don’t. You need to look beyond the Grade requirement and see if they have a requirement for Classics/Latin/Greek to have already been taken and if so, do they have a required grade. Don’t worry too much that your predicted grade for the subject is a B if you are apply somewhere that doesn’t specifically require an A - there might be people applying you haven’t done classics at all.
It’s all about doing the research. Good luck and I hope you get an offer and the grades you need.

UCL’s specific grade requirements for classics and the ancient world is AAB and you do not need latin or greek a level for the course anymore and they also don’t specifically require an A for classical civilisation. but i am still in doubt about if they see a B for classics… i hope you understand what i’m trying to say
Reply 4
Original post by Bean_cat
Regardless of whatever degree you choose, it is not going to be purely just that. In this situation, it is not purely going to be classics by itself, rather it will be an amalgamation of classics and other relevant subjects. You've demonstrated your strengths in your other 2 subjects which is really valuable and useful for you - they will also compliment your application a lot. I wouldn't be concerned about this, you still have plenty of time to improve anyway and A levels are known to be difficult. If it bothers you that much you could talk to some students at various unis about it or email the admissions department for more advice. I think you're doing really well though - Good luck with everything :smile:

thank you. it’s just that like ‘sting’ you know? 😭
Reply 5
Original post by marz11
UCL’s specific grade requirements for classics and the ancient world is AAB and you do not need latin or greek a level for the course anymore and they also don’t specifically require an A for classical civilisation. but i am still in doubt about if they see a B for classics… i hope you understand what i’m trying to say

It feels as though they're wanting high grades for the course to know if you're academically able to pursue the course. If they haven't specifically said a grade for classics then it doesn't matter, you just need enough ucas points - heck you might not even need the classics a level for it :0
Original post by marz11
thank you. it’s just that like ‘sting’ you know? 😭

Honestly, you're doing really well so far and there's nothing to say you're definitely going to get a B, you still have chances to score higher. Another option is to maybe look at access schemes or considering an EPQ to support your application further?
Original post by marz11

Personally, I don’t think they will look at a predicted B in a negative light. A lot of schools don’t even offer Classics. Universities are looking to see if you are academically able to keep with the demands of a course.
Reply 7
It feels as though they're wanting high grades for the course to know if you're academically able to pursue the course. If they haven't specifically said a grade for classics then it doesn't matter, you just need enough ucas points - heck you might not even need the classics a level for it :0

Honestly, you're doing really well so far and there's nothing to say you're definitely going to get a B, you still have chances to score higher. Another option is to maybe look at access schemes or considering an EPQ to support your application further?

i took EPQ at the start of year 12 and dropped it like a month later. it was not beneficial to me at all as my epq title has nothing to do with classics or any of my other subjects. ucl also haven’t mentioned anything about an epq on the classics course. i also want to apply to kings who have the same requirements AAB and they stated that they do not consider epq anywhere in the process and have also just said that they prefer you do classical civilisation at a level which i’m doing
Reply 8
Original post by thirdtimebuyer
Personally, I don’t think they will look at a predicted B in a negative light. A lot of schools don’t even offer Classics. Universities are looking to see if you are academically able to keep with the demands of a course.

that’s fair i guess thanks x
Reply 9

what’s an access scheme?
Reply 10
Original post by marz11
i took EPQ at the start of year 12 and dropped it like a month later. it was not beneficial to me at all as my epq title has nothing to do with classics or any of my other subjects. ucl also haven’t mentioned anything about an epq on the classics course. i also want to apply to kings who have the same requirements AAB and they stated that they do not consider epq anywhere in the process and have also just said that they prefer you do classical civilisation at a level which i’m doing

Fair enough, though it is worth remembering that subjects and titles aren't everything and that it's the grades that truly matter in this situation, I suppose the fact that king's haven't strictly mentioned classics or a grade for it, further solidifies my statement. By preferring you to have it, gives your application an advantage over the others and that's probably the same situation with ucl
Original post by marz11
what’s an access scheme?

An access scheme is for people who live in a bad area/ have low household income / go to a bad school and there are many other factors involved, but if you meet a few of the criteria of the scheme, the uni will lower the grades on the offer by 2. So an AAB offer can become BBB offer. This varies by unis and you'll have to go onto the postcode checker to check for things like this, though some unis automatically reduce your offer based on the factors mentioned previously
Reply 11
Fair enough, though it is worth remembering that subjects and titles aren't everything and that it's the grades that truly matter in this situation, I suppose the fact that king's haven't strictly mentioned classics or a grade for it, further solidifies my statement. By preferring you to have it, gives your application an advantage over the others and that's probably the same situation with ucl

An access scheme is for people who live in a bad area/ have low household income / go to a bad school and there are many other factors involved, but if you meet a few of the criteria of the scheme, the uni will lower the grades on the offer by 2. So an AAB offer can become BBB offer. This varies by unis and you'll have to go onto the postcode checker to check for things like this, though some unis automatically reduce your offer based on the factors mentioned previously

i actually don’t meet the access scheme requirements but thanks for telling me about that.

i just hope my classixs grade doesn’t determine the majority of my application. it’ll just mean the personal statement will try and hold it up for me

just to lyk i haven’t actually received my UCAS predicted grades yet. that ABC is just my results for recent september exams. but it is likely i will get AAB or hopefully A*AB

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending