The Student Room Group

C3 Jan 11 Edexcel - Solutions and Paper in the first post (Now On) + TIPS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
How about this question on the A to L papers, I heard that this probably won't come up but try this.
Use proof by contradiction to prove that log2 3 is irrational
and this one which might be there
Giving your answers to 2 decimal places, solve the simultaneous equations
e^2y ? x + 2 = 0
ln (x + 3) ? 2y ? 1 = 0
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by sportycricketer
Ah right ok. I really S1, if you know it, its easy marks. These days Im debating whether to take M1 or S3 for FM. Self taught for FM you mean?

S1 is boring though. It's easy as hell though.
Original post by jam277
S1 is boring though. It's easy as hell though.

No its not boring man, its actually really good and the most useful!
Reply 43
Original post by jam277
How about this question on the A to L papers, I heard that this probably won't come up but try this.
Use proof by contradiction to prove that log2 3 is irrational
and this one which might be there
Giving your answers to 2 decimal places, solve the simultaneous equations
e^2y ? x + 2 = 0
ln (x + 3) ? 2y ? 1 = 0

for the log2 of 3 is irrational:
Simply use the change of base into ln form. Assume it is rational i.e. it can be written as p/q. Now cross multiply and you reach a contradiction i.e. that 3^q=2^p. Yes I doubt they will ask anything like this as the amount of complaints they would receive if it came up in the real thing would be ridiculous.
For the second one:
rewrite the first equation as e^2y=2-x. Now ln both sides. Sub this back into equation two. Use log rules to find x. Find y by using the expression 2y=ln(2-x). This question isn't too hard actually.
Reply 44
Original post by Faith01
I have that exam too, I've noticed that some questions each year are very similar ..so if anyone finds a hard, unusual question, feel free to post it on here :smile: There was one unusual question on one of the 2010 papers which included e^x and a 3^x and was worth 5 marks :eek:

I remember last year when I was in year 12 everyone in the year above was panicking so much about that question. They forogt that 3^x=e^ln3*x.
Reply 45
Original post by anshul95
I remember last year when I was in year 12 everyone in the year above was panicking so much about that question. They forogt that 3^x=e^ln3*x.

Not surprised..I forgot it myself too but now I can learn from it.
Reply 46
Ok how about these questions I just made it up. This'll probably be around 12 marks though this would be the harder questions in the paper.

a. Find dy/dx of f(x)=[1/2arcsin(x)]+2e^2 in terms of x and find the value of dy/dx at 0.4
b. Sketch a graph of f(x)
c. Why are there no stationary points in the graph f(x)
d. What type of function is this
Reply 47
Original post by jam277
Ok how about these questions I just made it up. This'll probably be around 12 marks though this would be the harder questions in the paper.

a. Find dy/dx of f(x)=[1/2arcsin(x)]+2e^2 in terms of x and find the value of dy/dx at 0.4
b. Sketch a graph of f(x)
c. Why are there no stationary points in the graph f(x)
d. What type of function is this

a) for this you could either use the derivative of arcsin(x) directly. Or, seeing that this is a C3 exam thread, rewrite f(x) as sin(2y-4e^2)=x and find dx/dy and invert to find dy/dx. Then use
[br]sin2θ+cos2θ=1[br][br]\sin^{2}\theta + \cos^{2}\theta = 1[br]
To find dy/dx in terms of x only.
b) Sketching f(x) it just stretch scale factor 0/5 parallel to y axis i.e. 1/2 y coordinates and translate upwards by 2e^2.
c)no stationary points as dy/dx has no solutions for (dy/dx)=0
d)Not sure what you are trying to get at with this question. Whether it is odd or even?
Reply 48
a) for this you could either use the derivative of arcsin(x) directly. Or, seeing that this is a C3 exam thread, rewrite f(x) as sin(2y-4e^2)=x and find dx/dy and invert to find dy/dx. Then use
[br]sin2θ+cos2θ=1[br][br]\sin^{2}\theta + \cos^{2}\theta = 1[br]
To find dy/dx in terms of x only.
b) Sketching f(x) it just stretch scale factor 0/5 parallel to y axis i.e. 1/2 y coordinates and translate upwards by 2e^2.
c)no stationary points as dy/dx has no solutions for (dy/dx)=0
d)Not sure what you are trying to get at with this question. Whether it is odd or even?

I mean mapping oops.
Reply 49
Original post by jam277
I mean mapping oops.

Well obviously because arcsin is the inverse function of sin then it is a one to one mapping
Reply 50
Well obviously because arcsin is the inverse function of sin then it is a one to one mapping

One to many. Think about it one x value has many y values.
Reply 51
Original post by jam277
One to many. Think about it one x value has many y values.

arcsin IS A ONE TO ONE MAPPING. It is an inverse of the sin function.
Reply 52
arcsin IS A ONE TO ONE MAPPING. It is an inverse of the sin function.

Inverse trigonometric functions are multiple-valued because trigonometric functions are periodic as sinx=sin(180-x) therefore one y value is more than one x value. in the inverse function it will be the opposite i.e. one x value is more than one y value. That is why it is one to many.
y=x^2 is many to one so y=x^1/2 will be one to many.
It will only be one to one if the range of arcsinx is from -pi/2<y<pi/2.
Sine isn't one to one
Reply 53
Original post by jam277
Inverse trigonometric functions are multiple-valued because trigonometric functions are periodic as sinx=sin(180-x) therefore one y value is more than one x value. in the inverse function it will be the opposite i.e. one x value is more than one y value. That is why it is one to many.
y=x^2 is many to one so y=x^1/2 will be one to many.
It will only be one to one if the range of arcsinx is from -pi/2<y<pi/2.
Sine isn't one to one

But the principal values are always taken from -pi/2 to pi/2.
Reply 54
But the principal values are always taken from -pi/2 to pi/2.

In that case then your right but if it's the whole thing then it'll be one to many,
Reply 55
Two weeks till the exam. What is everyone planning on doing the day before and on the day?
Reply 56
Does anyone have any hard questions that may come up in this test?
Reply 57
Original post by jam277
Does anyone have any hard questions that may come up in this test?

Well I was helping someone the other day on the OCR syllabus (not MEI) for the
C3 Jan 2010 paper. Although it had some C4 edexcel in it, it had some great C3 questions. They weren't particularly hard but they were worded differently to what we would get for Edexcel.
Reply 58
Well I was helping someone the other day on the OCR syllabus (not MEI) for the
C3 Jan 2010 paper. Although it had some C4 edexcel in it, it had some great C3 questions. They weren't particularly hard but they were worded differently to what we would get for Edexcel.

Ok. I'm gonna try that paper when I've finished my other subjects. I'm running out of C3 to do. I'm gonna do that and do solomon press papers.
I tried AQA papers but the C3 bits are too easy.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm pretty much ready for this exam:smile: Aiming for a 90+ minimum:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending