The Student Room Group

C3 Jan 11 Edexcel - Solutions and Paper in the first post (Now On) + TIPS

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arsey
I thought it was hard, certainly harder than the other papers this session.

Maybe

57/75 = 80 UMS
65/75 = 90 UMS
73/75 = 100 UMS

My maths teacher was convinced it was the same difficulty as June 2010, as they gave you some of the answers already (although he is a bit crazy though)
Original post by gdsffdes
anyone?

as per the question, as long as you've put it in terms of x (what it asked for) I think it will be allright. It doesn't ask to simplify or anythin does it
Reply 782
Original post by cpdavis
Well I had a look at it (June 2009) I found this paper easy, but only because I had done most of the hard stuff before in FP2/FP3 (Like the last question for example)

Only mark I lost was the gg(2) I got g(2)=0 then I said gg(2) =0 :mad2:

I did the same mate, then an A-level teacher who did the paper as we did, shot me down afterwards! :frown:
Original post by CapsLocke
ok one question

2nd to last question differentiate sec2y, i flopped up and forgot to multiply by 2, so my answer was sec2y tan2y, would I only lose 1 mark here or both?

You'd probably get ecf.
Reply 784
My life is over :frown:...hopefully i didn't fail too badly.
Reply 785
Original post by Arsey

Maybe

57/75 = 80 UMS
65/75 = 90 UMS
73/75 = 100 UMS

So if I got 63/75 is it a safe bet that I got an A (even if I scraped it?) Is it unlikely to be that high?

Thank you Arsey, you're amazing. Will rep you as soon as I figure out how :biggrin: (I'm new here haha)
Reply 786
i got 70/71 out of 75 is that an A*?
so glad I did soloman papers!

But, compared to other past papers this one was defo very.. strange. Especially the gg(x) type question, threw me off for a bit.
Original post by ma05k11
i got 70/71 out of 75 is that an A*?

90% sure it will be :wink: .
I think putting inverse functions in will be incorrect because of the restricted domain.

I got the correct answer but took a somewhat longer route of using sin^2(x)+cos^2(x)=1 instead of the tan/1/sec identity, any idea if i will still gain all of the marks?
Reply 790
OH gosh, I flopped so badly what was I thinking *smh

All of these questions were doable and similar to the past papers starting 05 - panicked in the exam!

siiighs! thanks for the upload... going to rep.
Original post by Steelers
For the last question, I put the values in terms of Arccos...

I replaced 2y with Arccos ( 1 / x ), anyone know if that is right?

Cheers

10th person now including me to ask xD - Arsey says it's mathematically correct, may not get full marks though. HOWEVER... in the Jan 07? I think it was, our method got full marks whilst the pythag method was in brackets (full marks also, but obviously not a popular choice). Fingers crossed!
Original post by cpdavis
Well I had a look at it (June 2009) I found this paper easy, but only because I had done most of the hard stuff before in FP2/FP3 (Like the last question for example)

Only mark I lost was the gg(2) I got g(2)=0 then I said gg(2) =0 :mad2:

Snap! Don't know why I did that!

I think I may have dropped a mark on Q4c, I did the whole thing but I forgot to write that the diffrential at t=10 equals the rate of decrease at that point. Dya think I'll lose a mark for that?
Reply 793
Wow. Epic Fail. i think like 48/75.

-Didnt differentiate at the rate equation for temperature of the tea.
- Messed up on the 6 marker
-Didnt do the last question because of time.
-Hated the fg and gg stuff.

That was hard :frown:
Original post by Arsey

Maybe

57/75 = 80 UMS
65/75 = 90 UMS
73/75 = 100 UMS

I understand you probably have many many questions streaming in right now :tongue:, but if you find the time to answer mine, that would be really nice; for the last question I put it down as sqrt the whole thing

i.e. sqrt(1/4x^2(x^2-1))
I got a B rofl i got the whole of question 3 wrong LOL didn't revise that topic at all. Wish you all luck!!
Original post by Arsey
no

oh right phew! would you say i would between 4-6 marks if i got these mistakes:
- 1c, one angle but still had the negative value before that (1/2 mark)
- 4c, differentiating a bit wrong but writing the differential equation (2 marks)
- 8c, getting 1/2x.xsin2y (basically ran out of time) (2 marks)
Reply 797
Omdz this was some crazzyyy paper!! I think i got 62 will that be an A?
everyone keeps asking about UMS and whether it will be similiar to june2006.... sorry to burst your bubble guys but for the last 10 papers or so the trend shows its getting harder and harder. in the initial post i think it was quoted 70/75 for 90UMS. i doubt this will be a paper with kind UMS. its just the trend....

PS im not a snob, just want to brace people. i think i got around 66/75 :s-smilie: need an A* for uni
OMG.... i flipped the last question and the temperature last part...

but i reckon 66-68/75..... i found it a lot trickier than the previous ones.... specially the differentiation ones

awkward lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending