The Student Room Group
Reply 1
LauraWalker
Was chatting to a women on my horse yestersay who did not make it at the bar and now works at Slaughter and May. How do u change careers? After all an LPC as well would be too expensive, if u did not make it for any reason :eek:

Yer I should have asked her

Would assume that you could apply for a training contract with LPC sponsorship as if you had never done the BVC, although this is just my feeling on the topic, not a definate!
Some firms will pay your LPC fees retrospectively, so if you dont get anything the first time you apply, you might still get reimbursed.
It would be expensive, but you could go for the LPC at Sheffield - same Law Soc rating as BPP Leeds, but 3k cheaper. (yes Sheffield is my first choice but no Im not on commission)

Well done on going for the BVC :smile: - few of my friends want to but don't think they'll manage the competition so are not even bothering to apply!!!!
--------------
PS - off the subject, but whats your horse called? lol!!! I rode for 10 years, dont anymore, grew out of last one ("you can have another one when you've finished school...") but still so obsessed and adore them!! :redface:
You dont have to do the whole LPC is you have a BVC - you just need to sit a few exams ('a weekends work' according to one barrister!)
Reply 3
If you are qualified as a Barrister and have two years of practicing experience you only have to take one of the heads of the QLTT (Head 3 Professional conduct and accounts) to qualify as a Solicitor.

If however you have only taken the BVC and have not completed pupillage you may still take the test but you will have to gain two years of relevant work experience; perhaps as an employed barrister. If you do obtain pupillage it will count as one of the two required years.

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/becomingasolicitor/outsideengandwales/transfertest.law
Reply 4
If you have a look at lawcareers.net this week there is an article on going from barrister to solicitor and vice versa.
Hope its helpful :smile:
I think I'll just finish off this tutorial prep. The person I know is 40, so it was probably different for her. Might look later

Latest

Trending

Trending