The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I live in Hull and am applying to do Law at Hull Uni.

I will be happy with a contract at a high street law firm in Hull because earning £30K up here is like earning £50K in London.

Nuff said!

Why would I want to go to the London based rat race? Ok I may get more money but is it really worth the higher living costs and all the other hassle that goes with it?
Reply 61
Mark_KK
I live in Hull and am applying to do Law at Hull Uni.

I will be happy with a contract at a high street law firm in Hull because earning £30K up here is like earning £50K in London.

Nuff said!

Why would I want to go to the London based rat race? Ok I may get more money but is it really worth the higher living costs and all the other hassle that goes with it?

:smile:
Reply 62
Vitriol
Magic Circle are:

Allen & Overy
Clifford Chance
Freshfields Bruckhaus Derringer
Linklaters
Slaughter & May

They are the 5 most profitable firms in the UK. Average per partner profits are about 800k to 1.2m. If you get a TC at one of these, you're set for life and can pick and choose where you want to go. Firms just below the MC are:

Ashursts
Herbert Smith
Lovells
Norton Rose

These are all English international firms.

So essentially 2 get a job in this magic circle u need 2 go to oxford uni?!
Reply 63
i no this is going to make me look stupid...but whats a TC?
Reply 64
kokopops
i no this is going to make me look stupid...but whats a TC?

Temp Contract?
Reply 65
kildare
Temp Contract?

tRaining contract
Reply 66
Hi guys, I've been accepted to Bristol, Reading, Cardiff, Oxford Brookes and UWE. I'll be taking the 1st 2 forward but don't know which I'd choose between them if I got good enough grades. In the Times Uni League tables Bristol= 9th Reading= 29th but in Times Law League table Reading= 8th Bristol= 17th. I'd love to work for a magic circle firm, which league table would interest them more????
suz19
Hi guys, I've been accepted to Bristol, Reading, Cardiff, Oxford Brookes and UWE. I'll be taking the 1st 2 forward but don't know which I'd choose between them if I got good enough grades. In the Times Uni League tables Bristol= 9th Reading= 29th but in Times Law League table Reading= 8th Bristol= 17th. I'd love to work for a magic circle firm, which league table would interest them more????

Congratulations on your acceptances :smile: I'm not the wisest person on this issue, but I've heard of Bristol's reputation more than Reading's, but maybe other learned people could give you their opinions.

I haven't applied to the unis you're going to, but I'm also stuck over choosing between Durham or Nottingham.. (some even say I should choose Warwick!).. but oh well, decisions are always difficult.
Reply 68
If u want to work in London I'd choose Nottingham uni because it'd then be easier to get into Nottingham Law School (which is one of the city LPC providers). I've just had a look at their admissions criteria and one of the relevant factors is 'locality i.e. the applicant's links with Nottingham'- I'd assume that attending Nottingham Uni would meet this criteria.
Reply 69
suz19

Choose Bristol. :smile: Has a better reputation overall.

If u want to work in London I'd choose Nottingham uni because it'd then be easier to get into Nottingham Law School (which is one of the city LPC providers). I've just had a look at their admissions criteria and one of the relevant factors is 'locality i.e. the applicant's links with Nottingham'- I'd assume that attending Nottingham Uni would meet this criteria.

You get an automatic place at BPP, OXILP or Nottingham Law School if you can get a consortium firm TC. If you don't have a consortium firm TC, then your chances are slim no matter where you've been to do your undergrad.
Reply 70
Vitriol

You get an automatic place at BPP, OXILP or Nottingham Law School if you can get a consortium firm TC. If you don't have a consortium firm TC, then your chances are slim no matter where you've been to do your undergrad.

Noooo way, I know loads of people with 2:1's from redbrick universities that have managed to get into BPP and Notts for their LPC with ease, without a training contract. This is including those studying there now! The chances are certainly not slim...
Reply 71
Vitriol
Nope.

tht's a relief! I'm thinking of choosing history, english, law and i.t for A levels- are these wise options when pursuing a legal career?
Reply 72
J.S.
Noooo way, I know loads of people with 2:1's from redbrick universities that have managed to get into BPP and Notts for their LPC with ease, without a training contract. This is including those studying there now! The chances are certainly not slim...

can u get a tc anywhere 2 get an automatic admission into nottingham law school, or does ur tc ave 2 b at a magic circle firm?
Reply 73
Jenkins
tht's a relief! I'm thinking of choosing history, english, law and i.t for A levels- are these wise options when pursuing a legal career?

many unis dont like law a-level, but english and history are good.
Reply 74
Me2

yeah i was suprised when somebody said that the other day, but would'nt it be a good idea to take it as i hav'ent taken law g.c.s.e either?
Reply 75
Jenkins
yeah i was suprised when somebody said that the other day, but would'nt it be a good idea to take it as i hav'ent taken law g.c.s.e either?

universities like "fresh" students who haven't done any law, because they can then teach u from their perspective...
Reply 76
Vitriol

Hey peeps- if i completed a law with australian law degree in nottingham university, I still then have to do the LPC- would this degree give me a good chance of getting into Nottingham Law School to do my LPC?
Reply 77
Me2

I've done Law A level and have been accepted to all of the unis I applied to so I don't think this is true. It's really good having covered topics such as the EU already because it won't be so much to take in at once at degree level.
Reply 78
J.S.

Surely they went to BPP or Notts for their CPEs though? I've seen the stats and 2/3s of the places are automatically reserved for those with a consortium TC...
Reply 79
suz19
I've done Law A level and have been accepted to all of the unis I applied to so I don't think this is true. It's really good having covered topics such as the EU already because it won't be so much to take in at once at degree level.

I think i'll take it for A level 2 because i hav'ent done it for g.c.s.e- i need a basic knowledge! Which uni's did u apply 4 by the way?

Latest

Trending

Trending