The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I find it so hard to enjoy women's tennis. This match is just so boring, Li Na is playing such a boring tactical game, and its going well for her. Women's game just seems to be about hitting the ball as hard as you can, I haven't really like it since Henin.
Original post by alex_hk90
Yes it is. :yes: :tongue:

Li Na has been great so far. :smile:

I thought so. Thanks for confirming it for me, though :top: :tongue:

What's the score? Only watched the first few games because I have History revision to be doing :frown:
Original post by Kidioteque
I thought so. Thanks for confirming it for me, though :top: :tongue:

What's the score? Only watched the first few games because I have History revision to be doing :frown:

Li Na is a set and a break up (6-4, 4-2). :smile:
Original post by alex_hk90
Li Na is a set and a break up (6-4, 4-2). :smile:

Ace, I might flick back onto it a bit to see her win it (as I expect she probably will from this position). Thanks :smile:
Reply 384
LI NA!!!!!!!!!

:woo:
well done Li Na :biggrin:
Reply 386
Original post by kbountra
It is ridiculous that a player like Schiavone has won a grand slam but someone with talent of Andy Murray has still failed to do so. Speaks volumes about the lack of quality in the women's game right now.

Shut your mouth. Schiavone is a very good clay court tennis player and Italians always tend to reach their prime in the 30s. Granted the top 4 are not particularly strong but the WTA has quality, albeit not as exciting as the men's division. Don't use Murray's lack of Grand Slams to denounce the WTA ffs.
Original post by sango
Shut your mouth. Schiavone is a very good clay court tennis player and Italians always tend to reach their prime in the 30s. Granted the top 4 are not particularly strong but the WTA has quality, albeit not as exciting as the men's division. Don't use Murray's lack of Grand Slams to denounce the WTA ffs.

Shut yours. Schiavone is nowhere near the same level a player like Henin was on clay. Murray's inability to win a slam is because he has been born into a generation with the two greatest tennis players of all time. Granted he hasn't performed at his best in the finals but Murray is far more deserving of a grand slam than Schiavone will ever be.

The WTA is in such a poor state at the moment- the absence of the Williams sisters, the sudden retirement of Henin and a world number one who is barely deserving of that position. Wozniacki has secured that ranking on the number of tournaments she's played as opposed to being the best player in the world.
Reply 388
Shut yours. Schiavone is nowhere near the same level a player like Henin was on clay. Murray's inability to win a slam is because he has been born into a generation with the two greatest tennis players of all time. Granted he hasn't performed at his best in the finals but Murray is far more deserving of a grand slam than Schiavone will ever be.

The WTA is in such a poor state at the moment- the absence of the Williams sisters, the sudden retirement of Henin and a world number one who is barely deserving of that position. Wozniacki has secured that ranking on the number of tournaments she's played as opposed to being the best player in the world.

You don't win Grand Slams's because "you deserve it" you win Grand Slams because you have beaten every opponent that you have faced during the tournament. Don't be so close-minded. If you actually watched tennis outside of the Grand Slams then you would realise that in 2010 Schiavone had some excellent form on the clay court. Her win was well deserved. Moreover, Murray has been beaten in Grand Slams by not just Federer and Nadal but players like Tsonga, Gonzales, Wawrinka, Djokovic, the list goes on! The bottom line is you win Grand Slams because you were the most consistent player in that tournament.

Lastly, yes the WTA is weaker without the aforementioned players and I'm not a huge fan of Wozniacki either. However she has been the most consistent throughout the SEASON and therefore has earned the ranking of Number 1. Granted she may lose this position but at the end of the day, Grand Slams are not the only tournaments in the tennis calendar. I mean Jesus Christ dude, ignorance or what!
(edited 12 years ago)

Who cares? Schiavone won one. It's as simple as that. The game is, and always will be, about beating whoever is put in front of you. Murray hasn't been able to do that.

You could go on for ever about how so-and-so would've won this or that if someone else hadn't been playing at the same time. Roddick might have won Wimbledon if Federer wasn't around. Same for Henman had Sampras not been in his way. It's all nonsense. Roddick isn't/wasn't good enough. Henman wasn't good enough. Murray, thus far, has proven that he isn't good enough. Deal with it and stop belittling other people's achievements.

P.S. Who mentioned anything about Henin?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sango
You don't win Grand Slams's because "you deserve it" you win Grand Slams because you have beaten every opponent that you have faced during the tournament. Don't be so close-minded. If you actually watched tennis outside of the Grand Slams then you would realise that in 2010 Schiavone had some excellent form on the clay court. Her win was well deserved. Moreover, Murray has been beaten in Grand Slams by not just Federer and Nadal but players like Tsonga, Gonzales, Wawrinka, Djokovic, the list goes on! The bottom line is you win Grand Slams because you were the most consistent player in that tournament.

Lastly, yes the WTA is weaker without the aforementioned players and I'm not a huge fan of Wozniacki either. However she has been the most consistent throughout the SEASON and therefore has earned the ranking of Number 1. Granted she may lose this position but at the end of the day, Grand Slams are not the only tournaments in the tennis calendar. I mean Jesus Christ dude, ignorance or what!

Wozniacki only has the world number one ranking because of the number of tournaments she's played- not because she's the best player in the world :rolleyes:
Kim Clijsters is the best player in the world (on mean performance) but she plays vastly fewer tournaments and has accumulated fewer ranking points as a result.
(edited 12 years ago)
Murray hasn't won a major because he hasn't been good enough. Other players put in just the same amount of blood, sweat and guts. They are just as deserving if they happen to land a Grand Slam.

Murray isn't as good as Djok, Federer and Nadal and never will be and I'm currently seriously struggling to envisage him ever winning a Grand Slam.

Why? Because he's too passive in his play and mentally he evidently chokes on the very biggest occasion, e.g. in a grand slam final.

Schiavone is excellent on clay. She played much better last year in the FO final vs Stosar on clay and in the second set today vs Li Na she started to find a bit of form but then got blown away in the tie-break.

I like watching Li Na, I like her personality, I also like Schiavone who is a top quality player, who plays with alot of style and diversity.

I thought todays final was decent to watch.

No-one should be dismissive of Schiavone's achievements in recent years. She's got better with age and she is one of the fittest players on the WTA. Great work ethic and she has maximised her talent to great effect...

something Murray hasn't done, mainly because he's too passive, doesn't back his ability enough and struggles to pull himself out of troubled waters during key moments/phases in matches.
Reply 392
Original post by white_haired_wizard
Murray hasn't won a major because he hasn't been good enough. Other players put in just the same amount of blood, sweat and guts. They are just as deserving if they happen to land a Grand Slam.

Murray isn't as good as Djok, Federer and Nadal and never will be and I'm currently seriously struggling to envisage him ever winning a Grand Slam.

Why? Because he's too passive in his play and mentally he evidently chokes on the very biggest occasion, e.g. in a grand slam final.

Schiavone is excellent on clay. She played much better last year in the FO final vs Stosar on clay and in the second set today vs Li Na she started to find a bit of form but then got blown away in the tie-break.

I like watching Li Na, I like her personality, I also like Schiavone who is a top quality player, who plays with alot of style and diversity.

No-one should be dismissive of Schiavone's achievements in recent years. She's got better with age and she is one of the fittest players on the WTA. Great work ethic and she has maximised her talent to great effect...

something Murray hasn't done, mainly because he's too passive, doesn't back his ability enough and struggles to pull himself out of troubled waters during key moments/phases in matches.

I agree- I'd also add that Del Potro is also better than Andy Murray in terms of pure ability but has been seriously unlucky with that wrist injury after he won the US open.

I think Murray has the talent to win a Grand Slam and could well compete with the likes of Djokovic, Nadal and Federer. But like you said he is too passive and hasn't got that ruthlessness to play the big points and lacks that mentality to come through on the big matches. It's not a lack of talent, his game is just built on his good movement and trying to make his opponent make mistakes, but he's not gonna get that with Federer or Nadal and needs to be brave enough to hold his own against them, he's got the ability to make those shots, but I too doubt whether he's ever gonna win a Grand Slam. His best shot is the US open and I suppose he's still quite young (even though Nadal and Djok are a similar age) and maybe he can mature more, but I doubt it tbh...
Original post by sango
You shouldn't be reaching you prime in your 30's regardless of you nationality, you fitness at that age is not as good as when you are 25. You should have reached your peak by 25 too, in terms of playing ability. The womens game currently is rubbish, its form based not class based. Thats why you have so many poor no. 1's because they are able to reach it off a hot streak of form rather than consistently dominating.

He's using it wrong, but Murray is a good example. He is good player, better in comparison to his peers than Schiavone, but he hasn't won a Slam due to the players at the top being so dominate from Slam to Slam. You don't see Fed, Djok, Murray, and Nadal crashing out in the early rounds very often, you don't see the top spot changing hands that often. The mens game is in era of real quality, but that doesn't change the fact the womens game is very poor currently.

something Murray hasn't done, mainly because he's too passive, doesn't back his
ability enough and struggles to pull himself out of troubled waters during key moments/phases in matches.

On reflection, it was a bit harsh for me to say that Schiavone didn't deserve her slam so I thought I'd just clear that up. However, you may be overstating her recent achievements cos she hasn't won a single title since landing the FO last year.

Personally, I can't envisage Murray failing to end up with a major- his consistency in the slams has been good and he just needs to find a way
to overcome that final hurdle. I'd agree that Andy's defensive mindset is an issue but he can play aggressive tennis when forced to (and as he did so in wins vs Nadal at the Aussie+US Open). It's all about him finding that right balance....
(edited 12 years ago)
On reflection, it was a bit harsh for me to say that Schiavone didn't deserve her slam so I thought I'd just clear that up. However, you may be overstating her recent achievements cos she hasn't won a single title since landing the FO last year.

Personally, I can't envisage Murray failing to end up with a major- his consistency in the slams has been good and he just needs to find a way
to overcome that final hurdle. I'd agree that Andy's defensive mindset is an issue but he can play aggressive tennis when forced to (and as he did so in wins vs Nadal at the Aussie+US Open). It's all about him finding that right balance....

I'm glad to see you've admitted that you were somewhat harsh on Schiavone.

I obviously think Murray is extremely talented and, as you say, if he wasn't constantly up against Federer and Nadal then i think he would've won one. The problem is that he is and with Djokovic coming to the fore and time continually slipping away I think it becomes more and more difficult. He's mentally weaker than the top 3 and probably a few others like Soderling and del Potro, who is proof that you can't really blame the fact that Murray is up against the two greatest players ever. del Potro beat them both to win the US Open. Right now I would edge slightly towards Murray never winning one but having just said that he will probably go and win Wimbledon and shut me up, once and for all.
Original post by doggyfizzel
You shouldn't be reaching you prime in your 30's regardless of you nationality, you fitness at that age is not as good as when you are 25. You should have reached your peak by 25 too, in terms of playing ability. The womens game currently is rubbish, its form based not class based. Thats why you have so many poor no. 1's because they are able to reach it off a hot streak of form rather than consistently dominating.

He's using it wrong, but Murray is a good example. He is good player, better in comparison to his peers than Schiavone, but he hasn't won a Slam due to the players at the top being so dominate from Slam to Slam. You don't see Fed, Djok, Murray, and Nadal crashing out in the early rounds very often, you don't see the top spot changing hands that often. The mens game is in era of real quality, but that doesn't change the fact the womens game is very poor currently.

I agree that in general a player will have peaked by the age of 25 but that's not to say that people don't peak later. Just look at Li Na. She's gradually been getting better over the last few years. Other things come into play, like for her it was injuries and having time out to go to university, therefore her development was a lot slower.

Women's tennis has no out-and-out star at the moment but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. It's certainly a bad thing for the WTA from a marketing stand point but unpredictability should be never be viewed as bad by fans. In a lot of ways it's refreshing.
Original post by TheMagicRat
I agree that in general a player will have peaked by the age of 25 but that's not to say that people don't peak later. Just look at Li Na. She's gradually been getting better over the last few years. Other things come into play, like for her it was injuries and having time out to go to university, therefore her development was a lot slower.

Women's tennis has no out-and-out star at the moment but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. It's certainly a bad thing for the WTA from a marketing stand point but unpredictability should be never be viewed as bad by fans. In a lot of ways it's refreshing.
University is going to slow development, but younger fitter players should be giving 30 somethings a tough time in the latter rounds. I personally think Women should be playing 5 sets at the Slams, but thats a different issue.

I don't think you need a Nadal or Fed style star, but there are to many players in the womens game who are able to suge to the top from a hot streak of form, then collapse horribly, Ivanovich what the hell has happened to her? Safina? Wozniacki will be the next one if she doesn't turn things around. They lack true class, even when Fed or Nadal aren't playing well, they still have the mental grit and intelligence with point construction to dispatch lesser player. Nadal this year has been a classic example, he hasn't played well at all, serve has been poor, fallen back to pre US open levels, his backhand is the worst I have seen it in a long time, yet he is in the final. Nadal had a pretty debilitating injury, how far down the rankings did he fall, how far did he progress when it mattered?

A grand slam final should be the two best player in the world on that surface, not the hottest, the best, there is a difference. I think Li Na will reach no.1 soon, as she has an intelligence in her play, not many others seem to have.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by doggyfizzel
University is going to slow development, but younger fitter players should be giving 30 somethings a tough time in the latter rounds. I personally think Women should be playing 5 sets at the Slams, but thats a different issue.

I don't think you need a Nadal or Fed style star, but there are to many players in the womens game who are able to suge to the top from a hot streak of form, then collapse horribly, Ivanovich what the hell has happened to her? Safina? Wozniacki will be the next one if she doesn't turn things around. They lack true class, even when Fed or Nadal aren't playing well, they still have the mental grit and intelligence with point construction to dispatch lesser player. Nadal this year has been a classic example, he hasn't played well at all, serve has been poor, falled back to pre US open levels, his backhand is the worst I have seen it in a long time, yet he is in the final. Nadal had a pretty debilitating injury, how far down the rankings did he fall, how far did he progress when it mattered?

A grand slam final should be the two best player in the world on that surface, not the hottest, the best, there is a difference. I think Li Na will reach no.1 soon, as she has an intelligence in her play, not many others seem to have.

Some very good points. I don't think there's much difference at all. You're only considered good because of your form over a certain period. You can't expect the two best players on that surface to always reach the final and by suggesting that that's what should happen is a little disrespectful to underdogs who reach the final. Surely, the only thing that can be concluded from a final line-up is that those two players were the best over those two weeks.

Soderling wasn't considered one of the two best clay-courters when he beat Rafa and reached the final but he absolutely deserved to be in the final, so I don't think a final should be the two best on that surface.

You mention Nadal not playing his best and still reaching the final, which I agree with and I will always give credit to the victor rather than ridicule the loser but could that not be an argument for a lack of depth in the men's game? And worst of all is that we all knew deep down that Rafa would come through regardless. Of course, that makes upsets much more special when they happen but they are rare in the men's game. As I said, unpredictability is the main draw of the women's game.

I agree with you when you Li Na will be No. 1 and I will be very pleased to see her occupying the spot.

Latest