The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

oli golding really impressive so far, won 1st set 6-1 against andreev
Snagged myself court 1 tickets today, dont be jel..
Original post by Lamps08
Snagged myself court 1 tickets today, dont be jel..

did you get them from ticketmaster?
Original post by internet tough guy
did you get them from ticketmaster?

Na just queued up at 8 this morning, got in at 12, watching last(4th game) now.
Original post by Lamps08
Na just queued up at 8 this morning, got in at 12, watching last(4th game) now.

Did you get to wimbledon at 8am and then get the court 1 tickets? if so that's quite impressive cos they're normally sold out by then.
Original post by kbountra
Did you get to wimbledon at 8am and then get the court 1 tickets? if so that's quite impressive cos they're normally sold out by then.

It was actually closer to 8:30, lol. You have to be within the top 1000 queuer's to get a centre court/court 1 ticket, normally... They give you a voucher card (with a 1-1000 number on if you're early enough to get a court ticket, which I wasn't) when you start queuing before you reach the turnstile to pay for your actual ticket. So basically I queued up not expecting to get a court ticket as I didn't have any number on my ticket. When I finally got to the turnstiles (there's about 15) the woman said she had a court 1 ticket free. So I asked who was playing, and she said Federer, and that was pretty much that tbh :wink:

Btw, I was front row, in line with the net. The tennis was really good too. I seriously reckon Kim Clijsters could beat A.Murray, after what I saw from her today.

Edit: I just found my queue card (I thought I gave it in at the turnstile) I was number 05756 :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Lamps08
It was actually closer to 8:30, lol. You have to be within the top 1000 queuer's to get a centre court/court 1 ticket, normally... They give you a voucher card (with a 1-1000 number on if you're early enough to get a court ticket, which I wasn't) when you start queuing before you reach the turnstile to pay for your actual ticket. So basically I queued up not expecting to get a court ticket as I didn't have any number on my ticket. When I finally got to the turnstiles (there's about 15) the woman said she had a court 1 ticket free. So I asked who was playing, and she said Federer, and that was pretty much that tbh :wink:

Btw, I was front row, in line with the net. The tennis was really good too. I seriously reckon Kim Clijsters could beat A.Murray, after what I saw from her today.

No womens player could even get a set of any of the top 500 around atleast in the mens game. Keep dreaming.
Original post by JaggySnake95
No womens player could even get a set of any of the top 500 around atleast in the mens game. Keep dreaming.

pretty sure sharapova,azerenka,kvitova etc could beat most of them up to around the 200 mark plus most of the young ones probably.

That is some sexist bull**** right there. I'm very sure Serena Williams would be able to get a set or even beat a player in the men's top 100. Obviously women have a power disadvantage, particularly on serve but some female players are capable of hitting their groundstrokes nearly as hard as the men.
(edited 11 years ago)

Keep biting :h:
(edited 11 years ago)
There's also something to be said for having a 'tennis brain'. Some men, whilst talented, lack that. They have all the shots but can't construct a point. Someone like Schiavone is brilliant at that. I'd also wager that Schiavone is fitter than some of the men in the top 500.
Reply 4411

No 500 is stretching it.

Let's just say top 10 and I would agree. I don't think it's sexist at all to say this to be honest...it's just a difference in physiology.
Reply 4412
Original post by Sirocco11
That is some sexist bull**** right there. I'm very sure Serena Williams would be able to get a set or even beat a player in the men's top 100. Obviously women have a power disadvantage, particularly on serve but some female players are capable of hitting their groundstrokes nearly as hard as the men.

Not a hope.
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,,543962,00.html
Might beat a couple around the top 500 mark, but I think even that's pushing it. The power differential is just so far off what you seem to think here.
Don't make me laugh, there is no way any of the women on tour could beat any of the top 100 men, probably top 200. It's not a sexist comment, it's pure physiological difference between the two genders. And that's considering just one set, I'd love to see the women on tour reaching five!

It's like trying to argue that Carmelita Jeter could compete against any of the top men's runners when her one-off olympic world record stands slower than all the runners at the 100m semi-final at IAAF 2010 (see here).

Men are physically stronger than women. Unless the game is more mental than physical in nature, men will triumph. It's not sexist, it's common sense.
Original post by MattKneale
Don't make me laugh, there is no way any of the women on tour could beat any of the top 100 men, probably top 200. It's not a sexist comment, it's pure physiological difference between the two genders. And that's considering just one set, I'd love to see the women on tour reaching five!

It's like trying to argue that Carmelita Jeter could compete against any of the top men's runners when her one-off olympic world record stands slower than all the runners at the 100m semi-final at IAAF 2010 (see here).

Men are physically stronger than women. Unless the game is more mental than physical in nature, men will triumph. It's not sexist, it's common sense.

I agree but the comparison between tennis and running isn't a good one. In running you can't directly affect your opponent. In tennis you can. Obviously this means the men will inevitably impose themselves on the women with their power.

That's why I singled out Schiavone. She's clever and can construct a point. I'm not saying she'd beat any of the top 500 men but, as I said, something has to be said for having a tennis brain.
Original post by TheMagicRat
I agree but the comparison between tennis and running isn't a good one. In running you can't directly affect your opponent. In tennis you can. Obviously this means the men will inevitably impose themselves on the women with their power.

That's why I singled out Schiavone. She's clever and can construct a point. I'm not saying she'd beat any of the top 500 men but, as I said, something has to be said for having a tennis brain.

I think it's safe to say that all professional tennis players have a tennis brain, though, or else they wouldn't be on the tour as they'd be beaten by other players!

I can't think of any male players on tour who can't construct entire games in their head; some rely on physicality more than others, sure, but I'm sure they all have the ability to create points just as well as the women.
Original post by Sirocco11

How is this a sexist thing to say at all?

The key word there is 'nearly', even you have just admitted that men are stronger than women. Is that 'sexist bull****' because you said the truth?

Power/strength isn't the only thing. Watch the players movement, and you'll see that men overall have better footwork which allows them to get to more balls. On top of this, from a purely fitness point of view, there is a reason women aren't asked to play five set matches, no?
Wish BBC would let me watch Djokovic considering it's already over a set in...
Reply 4418
Original post by firebolt
Wish BBC would let me watch Djokovic considering it's already over a set in...

It's on bbc sport website, and the red button?
Great matches so far today. Gutted I didn't get flights over

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Latest