The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Hey guys, which grip do you say is best for serving, chopper or eastern?
How the mightly have fallen, despite being one of the most naturally talented players the game has seen in my opinion, Hewit is ranked 199.
Original post by Rakas21
How the mightly have fallen, despite being one of the most naturally talented players the game has seen in my opinion, Hewit is ranked 199.

I'd disagree that Hewitt is one of the most naturally talented- he got to number one in the world through sheer hard work, mental fight and determination. In the modern game, Hewitt's lack of weapons+power makes it impossible for him to challenge at the top level- about time he retired imo.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1383
Original post by kbountra
I'd disagree that Hewitt is one of the most naturally talented- he got to number one in the world through sheer hard work, mental fight and determination. In the modern game however, Hewitt's lack of weapons+power makes it impossible for him to challenge at the top level. About time he retired imo.

Hewitt is not even good enough to practice with Tomic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Tomic#Controversies
Original post by Zhy
Hewitt is not even good enough to practice with Tomic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Tomic#Controversies

I heard about that and tbh I don't blame Tomic for wanting to avoid Hewitt. There aren't many defensive baseliners around these days so it makes better sense for Tomic to be practicing with the likes of Tsonga/Delpo/Soderling etc.
Reply 1385
Original post by kbountra
I heard about that and tbh I don't blame Tomic for wanting to avoid Hewitt. There aren't many defensive baseliners around these days so it makes better sense for Tomic to be practicing with the likes of Tsonga/Delpo/Soderling etc.

Or alternatively he could just play "Pong" on expert level.
No, I agree. Hewitt was a natural genius. His technical skill is still almost unmatched, and he has the best mental attitude in the game. It is a real, real shame he isn't taller, stronger and faster, because circa-2001/2 Hewitt matches were absolutely beautiful. I feel sorry for him because he was let down by the limits of his own body.
Original post by TopHat
No, I agree. Hewitt was a natural genius. His technical skill is still almost unmatched, and he has the best mental attitude in the game. It is a real, real shame he isn't taller, stronger and faster, because circa-2001/2 Hewitt matches were absolutely beautiful. I feel sorry for him because he was let down by the limits of his own body.

Despite being technically sound, his game has always been built on consistency and a reliance on opponents making mistakes. Hewitt's stubborn defensive mindset and inability to adapt to changes in the modern game have seen him wither away- it's disappointing to see a player lose 15 straight matches to Federer and make no change-ups during that time.
Being the youngest world number 1 for me is proof enougth that he had emmense natural talent. That said, i do agree with what people have said in that when he lost the number 1 spot he never changed his style (Nadal changing to finally match Federer on grass is a brilliant example of adaption) and as result has withered, though injuries have clearly accelerated his downfall.
I'm a beginner possibly wanting to play tennis at university socially, only really played with my mates so nothing serious. Though my rackets broken, are the Wilson ones £30-50 on sale at SportsDirect/JJB any good?
Original post by TopHat
Tomic will be a considerable force. I love his style of play - so unorthodox. Some very sneaky shots, a great deal of tricky spin and flat balls. He plays quite unlike anyone else, really.

EDIT: Actually, saying that, the person he's closest to is probably Murray circa 2008, before Murray started his whole power rallies thing.

The way he hits the ball is quite unorthodox. On the forehand side he uses an awful lost of wrist so he whips the racket through the ball. It's a bit like the way Agassi played his forehand and it's certainly not a textbook way of doing things but I agree with everyone else here about Tomic's promising future.
Original post by TheMagicRat
The way he hits the ball is quite unorthodox. On the forehand side he uses an awful lost of wrist so he whips the racket through the ball. It's a bit like the way Agassi played his forehand and it's certainly not a textbook way of doing things but I agree with everyone else here about Tomic's promising future.

Looking at his career statistics he must be the first 18 year old in a while to qualify for all four grand slams. And to finish in the QF at one is quite spectacular.
Both look okay for a beginner, I would say the second one is better. First one looks a bit oversized, not usually preferred as you get better, the standard size is generally preferred for net work. I think both are a bit on the light side but once again not an issue for a beginner. I would recommend you try some rackets before buying. You can do this at places like PWP.
Original post by doggyfizzel
Both look okay for a beginner, I would say the second one is better. First one looks a bit oversized, not usually preferred as you get better, the standard size is generally preferred for net work. I think both are a bit on the light side but once again not an issue for a beginner. I would recommend you try some rackets before buying. You can do this at places like PWP.

I have a wilson one now but its broken :moon:
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
I have a wilson one now but its broken :moon:
Did you break the frame? Temper? I have only ever seem 2 people break rackets not in anger, pretty cool, total frame collapse during a shot.
Did you break the frame? Temper? I have only ever seem 2 people break rackets not in anger, pretty cool, total frame collapse during a shot.

Frame has a massive fracture, its like completely broken but lodged in so its still very sturdy making the strings very tense (?). I'll upload a picture later.
Frame has a massive fracture, its like completely broken but lodged in so its still very sturdy making the strings very tense (?). I'll upload a picture later.
Yeah sounds like that is finished, cut all my hand open on carbon fibre trying to restring a fractured racket, you won't be able to put tension through the frame.
Yeah sounds like that is finished, cut all my hand open on carbon fibre trying to restring a fractured racket, you won't be able to put tension through the frame.

Its playable, I've played with it for so long I even forgot how I did it. But I suppose when I get a 'proper' racket it will feel so different. Are those amazon ones fine for social play at university? Better then getting a similar priced one from JJB?
Its playable, I've played with it for so long I even forgot how I did it. But I suppose when I get a 'proper' racket it will feel so different. Are those amazon ones fine for social play at university? Better then getting a similar priced one from JJB?
Yeah both would be fine for social play, JJB generally sells crap and its usually overpriced.

Latest