The Student Room Group

Advice For Interview

Hi guys. I am having an interview in two weeks time for pharmacy. Seemingly my school is not providing any help for our interview. So may I know what are the DOs and DON'Ts during interview. Also can anyone advice me on what preparation should I make? (I will learn my Personal Statement by heart :biggrin: ) ?

Thanks ~

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
where have you got an interview at??
All my interviews were quite nice, you'll have to justify why you want to study pharmacy at that particular university and have read up on some scientific news - I was asked several times to tell them about something interesting I'd read in a scientific journal. Also it would be worth learning a few things about pharmacy, eg different classes of painkillers, I got asked on that at Nottingham. That's al I can think of right now...
Reply 3
Basically just try to be yourself. I found out that the Professor would have considered me with a C in chem because I was jammy enough to come acorss quite well in my interview.

Basically, if you have put down in your personal statement that you have read any scientific journals then make sure you at least memories one interesting thing to say about it. I memorised a piece about MRSA and how a new antibiotic could help destroy the bacterial cross links... yada yada... It shows that you take an interest in science as a whole.

If you mentioned anything about work experience you did during the summer, talk about all the things that you did and how you found it interesting.

At every interview I had I was asked exactly the same question:
'why do you want to study pharmacy at [insert uni here] ?'
Try and give some good responses, even if it is just an insurance. Mention that you have heard that the uni has a good reputation and a high quality of teaching. But dont just go on about that, also mention that you like the surrounding areas and campus as well. One of the Professors who interviewed me stated that he also wanted applications who were here for the whole experience of the local area as well as the course.

Another thing I got asked was how I got interested in Pharmacy as a whole. That was a common question.

Most importantly, I found that it was extremely handy to come across as a passionate individual who likes to work hard. I emphasised how much pharmacy was my dream and how interested I found the topic, and equally how excited I would be to study this at degree level. If you come across as sincere and a personal with a drive to do well in the subject, that is what really counts. Schools of Pharmacy want students who are passionate about Pharmacy, and not those who 'put down pharmacy because they might not get into medicine'....

Anyway, good luck and I am sure you will do well!
Come across as passionate and genuine and you will be fine! But then again if you are passionate about Pharmacy (which I guess you must be to want to do it), then my advice is just common sense!

Lastly... ENJOY YOURSELF! Having an interview is not just about whether the Uni wants to give you an offer, it is also a very important indication to you about whether you will be happy studying at that institution. It is just as much about them judging you as it will be you judging the uni. So dont think that you are the only one who should be feeling nervous.
ive got an interview too at manchester...

has any one had an interview at manchester for pharmacy?

Yes, I had one, and it was the second hardest (after Nottingham). My interviewer asked me to give 5 ways that drugs could be administered and also asked me some random questions about NSAIDS.
Reply 6
thats easy !! the second question is slightlly harder although i did research on it in biology NSAIDs are non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs i hope i get questions like that which i flukely know :-p
who interviewed you from manchester? did you catch their name?
Jimmocrates
who interviewed you from manchester? did you catch their name?

No idea, it was last year! haha. Sorry. I remember he was quite old and gave me the impression of being a really grumpy bastard.
Reply 9
cutie_catty
where have you got an interview at??

@ University of Manchester
Reply 10
opiache
Yes, I had one, and it was the second hardest (after Nottingham). My interviewer asked me to give 5 ways that drugs could be administered and also asked me some random questions about NSAIDS.

Hmm - mine asked me to name 5 drugs and say what they were used for - so glad that I had been working in a pharmacy for a while!!!

Most of my interviews were friendly and informal. Portsmouth was a waste of time, as they group interviewed 6 of us at a time, and the woman doing it didnt know what she was meant to be asking us. Nottingham did 3 at a time, which worked quite well. Bath, LJM and Manchester were 1 to 1, with bath being very informal, more of a friendly chat.
Reply 11
recneps
Hmm - mine asked me to name 5 drugs and say what they were used for - so glad that I had been working in a pharmacy for a while!!!

Most of my interviews were friendly and informal. Portsmouth was a waste of time, as they group interviewed 6 of us at a time, and the woman doing it didnt know what she was meant to be asking us. Nottingham did 3 at a time, which worked quite well. Bath, LJM and Manchester were 1 to 1, with bath being very informal, more of a friendly chat.

Really? I have worked in the pharmacy department in a hospital for a while and I didn't learn much about drug name, I was introduced the working procedure in hospital though.

I have received an invitation from Bath as well. Glad that they are doing the interview 1 on 1 :cool:
Reply 12
recneps

I ve got an interview at Portsmouth at the end of the month, what questions did they ask you, was it like an informal chat?...

I've also got an interview at Bath in five days even though i just recieved the letter today, so i have chosen the alternative date, which is in a months time, anyways, what was the interview at Bath like, what questions did you get asked? did they ask you anything on naming drugs and the uses ??
Reply 13

My interview at Manchester wasn't really academic based, but initially, before the interview, they did ask us to write about a science topic (can't remember if it was just chemistry), so be prepared for that. The questions could be based on your personal statement... Also, comeprepared with reasonswhy you want to study pharmacy at Manchester. So, be specific to the uni-maybe do a bit of research on it.
Reply 14
ajcool
I ve got an interview at Portsmouth at the end of the month, what questions did they ask you, was it like an informal chat?...

I've also got an interview at Bath in five days even though i just recieved the letter today, so i have chosen the alternative date, which is in a months time, anyways, what was the interview at Bath like, what questions did you get asked? did they ask you anything on naming drugs and the uses ??

My interview is an informal one
ajcool

Bath was brilliant. They basically told us that everyone who was there had pretty much got a place, and just asked us 'why pharmacy' and 'why Bath'. The only other thing I was asked was if I'd read anything interesting in New Scientist recently. Nothing to worry about, unless they've changed them...
Reply 16
The only other thing I was asked was if I'd read anything interesting in New Scientist recently. Nothing to worry about, unless they've changed them...

Did you mention new scientist in your personal statement???
Reply 17
they often ask questions on drug testing on animals...the ethics involved and what your opinion is..types of drugs...etc.
Reply 18
littleone
they often ask questions on drug testing on animals...the ethics involved and what your opinion is..types of drugs...etc.

what uni was that for??
Reply 19
one of my friends got asked that at reading last year..

Latest

Trending

Trending