The Student Room Group

Career Development Loan

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maskofsanity
I would recommend doing it yourself. For my university at least, they will not send it to the bank until your course start date, which delays everything. It's better to get them to send the stamped letter back to you so that you can send it all yourself immediately. Plus that way you can use recorded delivery.

Glasgow uni sent mine immediately.
Reply 981
Argh, I think this is going to happen to me. I put down September 9th as the end date but it seems for my course it is actually the 6th. I'm hoping the person who signs it just copies the end date on my part of the form, or that the 3 days difference is ignored/missed.

Have you received a new one yet?

Yeah I did. Went to the Uni and got it all stamped and signed, posted immediately. It's bothersome to do it a second time and I trust that it will go through fine this time.

I doubt they'll ignore the 3 day difference. Seems that they're very stringent on administration/bureaucracy, needs to be as accurate as possible since it is a contract after all that you're signing. It sucks but it has to be done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 982
Original post by swalker100
I will let you know, I sent in my application on friday, and they say it takes 3 days, so should hear soon.

How did the gradurates application go?
I applied but unable to check my account as login keeps failing.
For Cambridge, does anyone know if the certificate of admission (from the self-service account) is sufficient evidence instead of a stamp?
Reply 984
I've had to go to my uni TWICE to get the stamp from the learning provider because;

1) first time the course dates didn't match. My contract and what the learning provider wrote down did not match

2) second time, which i only found out today is because my course can only be funded for 12 months which is fine but my course starts 26th sept '13 and ends 3rd oct '14 so its more than 12 months which they arent happy about

BUTTT I spoke to the Barclays people today and they said keep my course dates the same but change my support dates (first i'd heard of this) so instead ill get my funding a week later rather than on my enrolment so that technically they are funding me for 12 months rather than the 12 months and a week previously.

Anyone else had this issue?. its becoming so tiresome!
Hey,
Anyone that has filled in the Co-op's PCDL course start notification form, does the learning provider have to fill in the sort code/ business bank account number section if the money is only being used for living expenses?
Thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by tayo22
How did the gradurates application go?
I applied but unable to check my account as login keeps failing.

Hi, I applied online, a couple of weeks ago, but have heard nothing from them at all. I have emailed them a couple of times but got nothing back.
Plus they dont have a phone number on the web site.

So a bit lost now!
Reply 987
Original post by lhenderson
Have you had any luck finding out about the PCDL and receiving the nhs bursary. I am starting an msc in sept in london and will really struggle without the loan, I have been provisionally approved and found out my uni said my course isn't eligible although on the PCDL website it says if its the means tested bursary you can apply, but if its non means tested or for tuition fees your not eligible? And I rang the nhs bursary people and there are no rules with them saying your not allowed other funding! It's so confusing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What some of you don't realise is that PCDL loans are not solely Bank Loans! They are provided by banks on behalf of the government and as such some of the guidelines / requirements are set in place by the Government Department overseeing these loans as in this case!

It's not always the banks fault!
Reply 988
I would recommend doing it yourself. For my university at least, they will not send it to the bank until your course start date, which delays everything. It's better to get them to send the stamped letter back to you so that you can send it all yourself immediately. Plus that way you can use recorded delivery.

The banks will only accpet the start notification doucment if it is completed in full by the learning provider, stamp and all. If you return a partially completede form it will only delay your application and the documents will need to be re-issued.

I worked on PCDL team - I know what the issues are!
Original post by fialko
The banks will only accpet the start notification doucment if it is completed in full by the learning provider, stamp and all. If you return a partially completede form it will only delay your application and the documents will need to be re-issued.

I know - I meant to post it yourself rather than your university posting it.
Just so people know, I sent my form to the uni before I registered. I registered 2 weeks ago today and the uni sent my form to the bank. I got the confirmation today that my first payment would be made on the first day of my course. But the letter was dated the 21st so it took less than 10days between uni ans approval :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just to let everyone know that after all the issues I have had with the CDL loan I was finally accepted for it last week after appealing against their original rejection decision. I have received my loan forms from the Co-op so all I have to do now is get them signed by the university so then I can finally pay for my course.
To anyone out there who has been rejected I urge you to appeal. Write a strongly worded, well written letter to the bank and let them know anything you think they should know about your credit history. I also supplied a copy of my Experian credit report with my appeal letter and 3 months worth of bank statements. This worked for me so its definitely worth a try if you too have been rejected.
Good luck!
Reply 992
Well. Absolutely amazing.

Some TWO WEEKS after I had my local Barclays branch resubmit my recertified documents, I call up to find out that the PCDL department never bloody received them! But they didn't call me to find out what was going on, nooooo. So that's another two weeks wasted, with just three weeks before the course starts and me stood looking like a fool at square one.

I sent off my application mid-June. For this.
Original post by lizzybeth18
Just to let everyone know that after all the issues I have had with the CDL loan I was finally accepted for it last week after appealing against their original rejection decision. I have received my loan forms from the Co-op so all I have to do now is get them signed by the university so then I can finally pay for my course.
To anyone out there who has been rejected I urge you to appeal. Write a strongly worded, well written letter to the bank and let them know anything you think they should know about your credit history. I also supplied a copy of my Experian credit report with my appeal letter and 3 months worth of bank statements. This worked for me so its definitely worth a try if you too have been rejected.
Good luck!

Congrats Lizzybeth! That's awesome news.

I'm now in a similar position - applied through Co-op three weeks ago, received a txt message on the morning of Monday 19th August saying my application "has been provisionally approved and that I will be sent forms in the post to fill out within 30 days." I then received a letter from Co-Op on Thursday 22nd August that was also dated 19th August saying my application was declined?!

I phoned them up asking why I received the txt message saying it was provisionally approved the same day the letter was addressed? They guy on the other end confirmed it was declined but couldn't give me any reason why (useless) and so I said I will appeal asap. He didn't even advise what to include in the appeal application! Again, useless.

Lizzybeth, anything else you can advise to include apart from strong letter, bank statements and copy of Experian report?

I am on Experian and stated in my application that I submitted a Change of Address for the Electoral Roll end of July but my local council won't process it til 2nd September, they obviously didn't pay attention to that. Also, before I submitted the CDL application my Experian rating was "Fair 720", after their checks it is now "Poor 640". Think I stand even less chance of getting accepted now. For the record, I'm on average £400-600 into an £1,000 overdraft and will be working 26 hours per week during my MA.
Reply 994
It's great to see that they reconsider rejections!

After a lengthy process of having my loan application sent back to me 2 weeks after I failed to tick a second "unemployed" check box that I missed, I've sent the application off to Barclays again. I've just heard from my mother about a lad who finished his degree, applied for a loan and was refused on the appearance of his over drawn bank balance.

I'm rather worried now- I completed a Graduate Diploma in Law last year, going on to a LPC and as such I've been unemployed for a year and the course has eaten into my student account overdraft. I'm currently £1200 overdrawn, and am currently being paid some Jobseekers, but that is one of the only income which has entered my account in the last 3 months or so- before that I was using my savings.

Does anyone have an idea of the influence this overdraft will have on my loan application? I've been consistently well above my overdraft before the last three months overdrawn, never had a credit card and currently have some student loans to my name. I'm going to call them tomorrow for more information, but would appreciate any feedback on here! I'm supposed to be moving into my halls of accommodation on Saturday and I was really hoping that this loan would be approved by now.

UPDATE: I rang them this morning, and they haven't even got it on record that they've received the application a second time, after 12 days. Got to start from scratch!!! GAH. This is getting silly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 995
I really hope my application is accepted. All my plans are based around the fact that I will be accepted for this loan. My whole life will be turned upside down if I don't get it, essentially.

From what I have heard, it takes around 5-7 working days for them to process? Considering there is only one month until I should be going back to university, I am feeling quite nervous that I wont have my application sent off and processed in time.
Reply 996
You'd think with all the practise they've had, they'd manage not to screw this up on such a regular basis. How many peoples' applications have they lost!!!
Reply 997
In regards to being on the electoral roll, is anyone aware whether that is an absolute necessary for a CDL? I've applied to the Co-op around 2 weeks ago and still waiting to hear back but in the last 2/3 years i've moved around 7 times and have no idea where i'd be registered for the electoral roll and now i've probably not got enough time to change it before i hear back about my application?
Secondly, how long on average does it take to send and appeal and hear back about it?
Thanks! :smile:
Reply 998
I was wondering if folks know if someone can apply on my behalf for the career development loan? The person would apply and pay back once the course is over but the money would be provided to a different person.
Original post by peterpp
I was wondering if folks know if someone can apply on my behalf for the career development loan? The person would apply and pay back once the course is over but the money would be provided to a different person.

No, the person applying has to be doing the course. You could do that with a normal personal loan, i.e. one person applies for a loan and gives the money to a different person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending