The Student Room Group

Peninsula vs Southampton!

I've received medicine offers from Peninsula and Southampton (been rejected from UEA and Bristol) and i am trying to decide which one to firm.

These offers are both AAA, which one do you all think is a better medical school?

Thanks,

Jack

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jacktack
I've received medicine offers from Peninsula and Southampton (been rejected from UEA and Bristol) and i am trying to decide which one to firm.

These offers are both AAA, which one do you all think is a better medical school?

Thanks,

Jack

Peninsula, it comes before Southampton in the alphabet :smile:.
Reply 2
Original post by jacktack

Thanks,

Jack

No idea really. That said, with Peninsula, just make sure you'll be happy to spend your year(s) in Exeter, Truro and Plymouth.
Reply 3
my opinion: I would pick Southampton, the area is quite nice, Uni has an excellent reputation and my friend goes there and is loving every minute - but seriously I think you should decide for yourself, go visit the places and see which one you prefer more, every student has different preferences.
They have different teaching styles as well so think about which you'd prefer :smile:
Reply 5
southampton hands down. but that is just me. the 2 have very different teaching styles so figure out what suits you best. southampton is very well established and a few medical schools including bsms have designed their course on soton bm5. lecture style learning or pbl may not be to your taste so pick wisely
Reply 6
Only thing in the past is that Southampton have had some of the lowest exam results around.
Both of there anatomy teaching is pretty rubbish as well.
Reply 7
Original post by ryan118244
Only thing in the past is that Southampton have had some of the lowest exam results around.
Both of there anatomy teaching is pretty rubbish as well.

and one year (fairly recent) they were the 3rd best medical school rated after oxbridge. i would take that exam thing with a pinch of salt as it depends on the current year group ability and other factors. soton constantly redesign and alter bits of their course and so if any year does have particularly low results they do get it sorted asap.
Reply 8
Original post by rj0804
and one year (fairly recent) they were the 3rd best medical school rated after oxbridge. i would take that exam thing with a pinch of salt as it depends on the current year group ability and other factors. soton constantly redesign and alter bits of their course and so if any year does have particularly low results they do get it sorted asap.

True about them changingcube course.
But rankings hardly matter, rankings by no means reflect the standard of a medical school.
Reply 9
True about them changingcube course.
But rankings hardly matter, rankings by no means reflect the standard of a medical school.

as do exam results from the past where a course has been substantially redesigned. AFAIK soton have completely redeveloped their bm programme so that this year, the 1st year are the first people who are on the new design
Reply 10
Original post by elsa10
as do exam results from the past where a course has been substantially redesigned. AFAIK soton have completely redeveloped their bm programme so that this year, the 1st year are the first people who are on the new design

Cool, didn't know they were changing the course. I actually quite liked the course as it was haha
I'm not saying its a bad med school, it was just something that I took into consideration when selecting my choices.
Tbh the main reason I didn't apply there was because they don't do full body dissections and they don't interview.
Reply 11
Cool, didn't know they were changing the course. I actually quite liked the course as it was haha
I'm not saying its a bad med school, it was just something that I took into consideration when selecting my choices.
Tbh the main reason I didn't apply there was because they don't do full body dissections and they don't interview.

fair enough. the point i am trying to make is that both exam results and ranking shouldn't really factor into the final decision - it should be about course structure, the city etc. peninsula is good too but i don't like the allocation idea. personally i much prefer the idea of studying in exeter but each to their own. is pms your first choice?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by elsa10
fair enough. the point i am trying to make is that both exam results and ranking shouldn't really factor into the final decision - it should be about course structure, the city etc. peninsula is good too but i don't like the allocation idea. personally i much prefer the idea of studying in exeter but each to their own. is pms your first choice?

I agree!! :smile:
I actually quite like the allocation of peninsula and getting to go all over Cornwall :smile:
No, St Andrews is my top choice, then Manchester and then Peninsula.
I take it your at Southampton med school now? Enjoying it?

EDIT, St Andys is no longer my top choice, it took a long time to realise that PBL was the route for me. Also I was so impressed by Peninsula open day that now my top two choices are peninsula and Manchester .... who knows which one I will firm :/
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
I agree!! :smile:
I actually quite like the allocation of peninsula and getting to go all over Cornwall :smile:
No, St Andrews is my top choice, then Manchester and then Peninsula.
I take it your at Southampton med school now? Enjoying it?

it was my firm in 2009 but i missed my grades. i'm on my 3rd and final application and it's my top choice because im restricted in where i can apply location wise...
Reply 14
Original post by elsa10
it was my firm in 2009 but i missed my grades. i'm on my 3rd and final application and it's my top choice because im restricted in where i can apply location wise...

Oh no that sucks!!!
So how's your application going so far then?
Reply 15
I would say Southampton because

we have prosection, as in actual dead bodies, whilst peninsula uses computer technology
we are lecture based which i think easier and more fun
we have one of the best medsocs in the entire freaking world and we sure as hell know how to have a good time
we have a place called JESTERS which is the greatest place on Earth
we are a more established medical school
we have just built a pretty new medical building which you will benefit from

bias from a 4th year medic at southampton uni
Reply 16
Come to Southampton. There is a new course, new building, Jesters (if you like that kind of thing) and we aren't in the arse end of nowhere.

Nothing against Peninsula, I went to Truro for a conference and the medics were down to earth and friendly. But **** me its a bloody long way away from civilisation. One of my trains got cancelled and it took me 12 hours to get back to Pompey. I could have gone to spain, had dinner and a nap and come back in that time.
Reply 17
Got an offer from peninsula.. just was wondering if any of the current students are unhappy about studying there? and how are you finding PBL?
Reply 18
Hi,

I'm a 2nd year at Peninsula (plymouth locality) and it is great! PBL does need some getting use to, but once that is done we all teach each other and it quite a laugh! We are in the deepest west country and great for night life (go to Plym) or surfing (newquay!)
Also the Clinical element of the PMS course is great -- as a 2nd year I have my own clinic at a GP every month... seeing my own patients - thats real medicine
Reply 19
Original post by robkmac
Hi,

I'm a 2nd year at Peninsula (plymouth locality) and it is great! PBL does need some getting use to, but once that is done we all teach each other and it quite a laugh! We are in the deepest west country and great for night life (go to Plym) or surfing (newquay!)
Also the Clinical element of the PMS course is great -- as a 2nd year I have my own clinic at a GP every month... seeing my own patients - thats real medicine

That sounds awesome!!! This is what's making me fall for peninsula. At the end of the day I think doctors are clinicians first, scientists second.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending