The Student Room Group

Shout out to all the Dutch people!

Scroll to see replies

Broodje gebraden Elmer-bek met Teennagel en Hagelslag. Hmmmm :love:
Lekker hoor! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1781
jongens, misschien een domme vraag, maar ik word echt gek van de domme engelsen hier. ik heb sinds 5 jaar een nederlands rijbewijs, 5 jaar no-claim en ik zat te denken om een auto te kopen hier in Londen. een oude vauxhall (2003) gevonden voor 900 pond. ik wou kijken wat de verzekering kost en wat lees ik, 4800 pond de goedkoopste??? voor een auto van 900 pond?

waar kan ik een normale verzekeraar vinden die niet hallucineert? in nederland is een verzekering voor een 18 jarige met 0 ervaring en no-claim en een dikke nieuwe (waarde 5000+ euro) sportbak van 150pk (all risk ipv third party, zoals ik ingevuld heb) maar liefst 3 maal goedkoper!!!

maak ik ergens een fout of haten deze klootzakken buitenlanders???

PS: wat kost een boete voor rijden zonder verzekering? want voor 4800 pond, kun je volgens mij behoorlijk wat jaren rondrijden...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Vionar
That's a shame! I would've liked to have had a Dutch passport!
I'll trade mine for yours. :smile:

Original post by thatitootoo
Broodje gebraden Elmer-bek met Teennagel en Hagelslag. Hmmmm :love:
Lekker hoor! :biggrin:

Met teennagel? Ieder z'n meug zullen we maar zeggen. :wink:
Reply 1783
Original post by Parnassia
I'll trade mine for yours. :smile:

Great! So I'll have a Dutch female passport, and you can have a British male one, and I guess the age difference could be a problem. And hair colour, I have inherited blond hair from my Dutch side though.

Also, what does z'n mean? I've seen it a couple of times, and was wondering what it meant. I'm kind of trying to learn bits of Dutch, through reading mostly, and it confused me!
Ieder z'n meug zullen we maar zeggen. :wink:

Ja, waarom niet...we gebruiken toch ook kruidnagel als specerij! :wink:

Original post by Vionar
Great! So I'll have a Dutch female passport, and you can have a British male one, and I guess the age difference could be a problem. And hair colour, I have inherited blond hair from my Dutch side though.

Also, what does z'n mean? I've seen it a couple of times, and was wondering what it meant. I'm kind of trying to learn bits of Dutch, through reading mostly, and it confused me!

"z'n" is the short version of the Dutch "zijn" which translates as "sind" in German or "are" in English. :tongue: ooh & zijn can also be translated as the verb "to be" in English, or "sein" in German...

I'd be happy to trade nationality with either of you! But the question is: could ya pull off being a West African though??? :afro::afro:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Vionar

Disregard my Dutch lesson completely!
I'm not even Dutch.
OMG what am I even doing here...:confused: :lol:
Original post by Pop_tart
Unfortunately it is not that easy! ^^ I still have to wait 1.5 year before I can get my British Passport :P

Met z'n tweeën kunnen we alles overwinnen.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1787
[QUOTE="LukevanderKooij;41593099"]
Original post by Pop_tart
Hertfordshire, just north of London - was born near Leiden not too far from the Hague.

Oh yeah! I lived in Uden (Near Eindhoven) for about 3 years - I miss living these - no blooming hills!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

hahahaha. i was born in leiden too!! and lived there for 13 years :O. now i live in wembley haha. not to far off hertfordshire either :P
Ja, waarom niet...we gebruiken toch ook kruidnagel als specerij! :wink:
Lekker voor in de curry. :')

I'd be happy to trade nationality with either of you! But the question is: could ya pull off being a West African though??? :afro::afro:
I used to speak with a fairly heavy South-African accent, maybe if I practise a bit more I might be able to use it again, hardly any European will notice.

Original post by Vionar

I'm afraid my hair is light brown, but I did inherit my Nan's skin colour... I can hide myself by standing in front of a white sheet of paper. :P

Z'n is, indeed, a short form of 'zijn'. However, 'zijn' can also be a possessive pronoun, meaning 'his', and that's the case when you see 'z'n' somewhere in a sentence.
Reply 1789

I used to speak with a fairly heavy South-African accent, maybe if I practise a bit more I might be able to use it again, hardly any European will notice.

I'm afraid my hair is light brown, but I did inherit my Nan's skin colour... I can hide myself by standing in front of a white sheet of paper. :P

Z'n is, indeed, a short form of 'zijn'. However, 'zijn' can also be a possessive pronoun, meaning 'his', and that's the case when you see 'z'n' somewhere in a sentence.

Z´n is always short for the possesive pronoun, it can´t be used for the verb zijn.
Reply 1790

I'm less white than I used to be, but that could be due to my not so recent holiday. My mum has quite darkish skin though.

Thanks!

"z'n" is the short version of the Dutch "zijn" which translates as "sind" in German or "are" in English. :tongue: ooh & zijn can also be translated as the verb "to be" in English, or "sein" in German...

Thank you!

Could be a bit of a problem, I could get loads of spray tans?

Disregard my Dutch lesson completely!
I'm not even Dutch.
OMG what am I even doing here...:confused: :lol:

Umm... ok.
You can speak it! That's a lot better than me, and I'm half Dutch!
Reply 1791
Original post by Wim
Well, I only tell you what I know and that is that the Erasmus is more respected for all economical courses than the other uni´s. Tilburg is definetly a good option if you want to keep your living costs down, rooms are really cheap (think of €250/300 a month) and there are not that much people looking for rooms in contrast with big cities.
Tilburg is not really famous for quality teaching but neither is it a bad university and if you say they are quite high up the rankings for econometrics I am willing to believe you.

So about the other uni's: Maastricht tries to be really international but they use different teaching methods than most Dutch uni's (they use problembased education. So you get a case, then have a few days to do some research on it and then you discuss what you find in some kind of tutorial). It depends on your preference but most people question the quality of the teaching.
I dont really know about Groningen but generally speaking it is a very decent univeristy.

If you have anymore questions please let me know and if you want to find out more about the reputation of these uni's you can use this forum (http://forum.fok.nl/forum/35) or if you do not speak Dutch I can do it for you.

Thanks a lot! Unfortunately I do not speak dutch-yet- thus my information resources are few... that's why I m really glad u helped!
I managed to search the forum u mentioned - spent a lot of time since I had to use google translate-and it proved to be pretty useful as well as ur advice!
I may return later with some more questions but for now I don't think Ihave anything more to ask!
danke!
Original post by Wim
Z´n is always short for the possesive pronoun, it can´t be used for the verb zijn.

Jaajaa, I wasn't thinking when I made said comment...:tongue:

Original post by Ktulu
Thanks a lot! Unfortunately I do not speak dutch-yet- thus my information resources are few... that's why I m really glad u helped!
I managed to search the forum u mentioned - spent a lot of time since I had to use google translate-and it proved to be pretty useful as well as ur advice!
I may return later with some more questions but for now I don't think Ihave anything more to ask!
danke!

Haha you do realise that you just thanked Wim in German? :redface: In Dutch it's "dankje" "dankjewel" or "bedankt" would be most appropriate. :tongue:
Original post by Vionar
I'm less white than I used to be, but that could be due to my not so recent holiday. My mum has quite darkish skin though.

Thanks!

Thank you!

Could be a bit of a problem, I could get loads of spray tans?

Umm... ok.
You can speak it! That's a lot better than me, and I'm half Dutch!

LOL Sounds like a plan then! :wink:
haha I did live in Holland for like 10 years...:tongue:
Did you guys take any foreign languages at school?? :smile:
NEDERLANDS IS ZO ONTZETTEND MAKKELIJK VERGELEKEN MET DUITS
Was het maar andersom! :frown:
Hoeveel bulten heeft een dromedaris?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1796
LOL Sounds like a plan then! :wink:
haha I did live in Holland for like 10 years...:tongue:
Did you guys take any foreign languages at school?? :smile:

That helps!
Well I'm at school now, well not now, but I am currently enrolled in school! I'm doing GCSE French, and I wanted to do German as well but they wouldn't let me!
Original post by aoleks
jongens, misschien een domme vraag, maar ik word echt gek van de domme engelsen hier. ik heb sinds 5 jaar een nederlands rijbewijs, 5 jaar no-claim en ik zat te denken om een auto te kopen hier in Londen. een oude vauxhall (2003) gevonden voor 900 pond. ik wou kijken wat de verzekering kost en wat lees ik, 4800 pond de goedkoopste??? voor een auto van 900 pond?

waar kan ik een normale verzekeraar vinden die niet hallucineert? in nederland is een verzekering voor een 18 jarige met 0 ervaring en no-claim en een dikke nieuwe (waarde 5000+ euro) sportbak van 150pk (all risk ipv third party, zoals ik ingevuld heb) maar liefst 3 maal goedkoper!!!

maak ik ergens een fout of haten deze klootzakken buitenlanders???

PS: wat kost een boete voor rijden zonder verzekering? want voor 4800 pond, kun je volgens mij behoorlijk wat jaren rondrijden...

Heb je op meerdere vergelijkingswebsites (gocompare, moneysupermarket, etc.) gekeken?

Ik heb een auto hier in de UK en betaal 600 pond voor mijn verzekering, en ik heb mijn rijbewijs slechts 2 jaar m'n rijbewijs en 1 jaar no claim. Verschil is wel dat ik mijn rijbewijs in de UK gehaald heb, al 6 jaar hier woon en niet in Londen woon. Je locatie, wat voor baan je hebt (of student bent), type auto, en hoelang je al in de UK woont spelen allemaal mee.

Weet trouwens nog wel dat het heel raar was, maar een comprehensive insurance was goedkoper dan alleen 3rd party.

Maximum boete is trouwens 5000 pond (+ mogelijke rijontzegging + ze kunnen je auto innemen & vernietigen).
Original post by Vionar
That helps!
Well I'm at school now, well not now, but I am currently enrolled in school! I'm doing GCSE French, and I wanted to do German as well but they wouldn't let me!

Ahh ii seeeee
Now that's a shame! :tongue: Learning German would have also prepared you for Dutch, as they're quite similar (in vocabulary NOT grammar!) And I presume your Dutch parent could have given you a lot of extra help!!

But nevamind! French is a great language too. I never got the chance to learn it at school, and frankly I'm still bitter about that. :tongue:

But why wouldn't they allow you to take Deutsch??? Didn't you have it up to year 9?
Reply 1799
Ahh ii seeeee
Now that's a shame! :tongue: Learning German would have also prepared you for Dutch, as they're quite similar (in vocabulary NOT grammar!) And I presume your Dutch parent could have given you a lot of extra help!!

But nevamind! French is a great language too. I never got the chance to learn it at school, and frankly I'm still bitter about that. :tongue:

But why wouldn't they allow you to take Deutsch??? Didn't you have it up to year 9?

I know, and yeah, my Dutch parent can help much more with German, but I don't really need help luckily! And I also know some French speakers, but they're less accessible!

I'm just bitter about my German situation.

At the end of year eight, they told us that we had to only do one, but I along some others wanted to do both. We could only do it after school, and I continued doing it after school throughout year nine. But at the end of year nine came our GCSE options. Due to my options of history and drama, I wasn't able to do both French and German, so I had to drop German. I hope to learn German one day, I actually tried a German foundation GCSE reading paper, and easily got a C... To be fair, foundation is very easily; I did the same with a Spanish one!

Quick Reply

Latest