The Student Room Group

The Deceptively Non-Vegetarian Vegetarian Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Boristhethird
what makes you say that?

The American ones are even vegan, according to the vegan society. But, the UK ones have a different recipe, which I know contains milk... Not sure if it has anything that is not vegetarian though...
all mc donalds products that are specified vegetarian are vegetarian, and the chips are too!
but nothing at kfc is vegetarian apart from the bread, bbq beans, corn nd coldslaw. the chips are in a fryer where meat products are also cooked
Reply 182
Original post by on.wings.of.lead
all mc donalds products that are specified vegetarian are vegetarian, and the chips are too!
but nothing at kfc is vegetarian apart from the bread, bbq beans, corn nd coldslaw. the chips are in a fryer where meat products are also cooked

The Spicy Veggie Deli sandwich is not vegetarian, although they don't declare it to be; it's merely assumed to be. But it is fried in the same fat as the meat.
i dnt know if thats true for franchise stores but in company stores there are seperate vat fryers for chicken products,fish, veggie pattes and pies. i am one of several vegetarians who work at my company store
Reply 184
Certainly a great deal of fast food and cafe outlets have separate fryers for meat and non-meat, although this isn't completely consistent. Hence why McDonalds website states some of their vegetable-based sandwiches "may" come in contact with animal fats. You might get lucky, you may not. All you can do is take the initiative to ask, but a general rule of thumb is, when in doubt, assume the cynic's route.
Original post by TotoMimo
Apparently Fruit Twist is fine. Fanta Fizzy Orange/Zero varieties are unsuitable.

Lea and Perrins

Why is it unsuitable? Lea and Perrins contains anchovies.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :cry:
Original post by mother_eve3088
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :cry:

Plenty of alternatives to Worcester sauce! (http://www.veggiestuff.com/acatalog/vegetarian_worcester_sauce_life.html) Unless you're crying about Fanta, because I don't know of a tastier orangeade! :mad:
(edited 13 years ago)

I'm really surprised that there are people that didn't know it wasn't suitable :p:

That said, there are literally hundreds of vegetarian Worcestershire sauces available to buy, some of which taste virtually the same as L&P. Not quite as good of course...
I've looked into it and it appears as though they certainly USED to be, but there's no longer any indication of "veggie friendly".

Hm.... the thick... plottens.

I just double checked, and it definitely has chicken fat. How disgusting.
Reply 189
ROLO/MILKYBAR DESSERTS

Why is it unsuitable? It contains gelatin.*

*Inexplicably, all variations of the Rolo Dessert are unsuitable, but only the 6-pack of Milkybar Desserts are affected. The 2 and 4 packs are fine. This is confirmed in this PDF from Nestle:

http://www.nestle.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/9560615D-9E77-4A16-88CA-6CAF0A666F13/0/VegetarianList.pdf
Reply 190
ROLO/MILKYBAR DESSERTS

Why is it unsuitable? It contains gelatin.*

*Inexplicably, all variations of the Rolo Dessert are unsuitable, but only the 6-pack of Milkybar Desserts are affected. The 2 and 4 packs are fine. This is confirmed in this PDF from Nestle:

http://www.nestle.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/9560615D-9E77-4A16-88CA-6CAF0A666F13/0/VegetarianList.pdf

To be honest if you are morally aware enough to not eat meat for ethical reasons you def shouldn't be consuming Nestle products.
Reply 191
Original post by Trigger
To be honest if you are morally aware enough to not eat meat for ethical reasons you def shouldn't be consuming Nestle products.

You are one sour, grumpy person Trigger. You only seem to come on these boards to moan about something or other.
Reply 192
You are one sour, grumpy person Trigger. You only seem to come on these boards to moan about something or other.

What? You sir, do not know what you are talking about :lolwut:
Reply 193
I wonder why in the hell the milkybar desserts are unsuitable unless it's in the 2-pack.

I don't think I've ever had the 6-pack version of them, can anyone confirm they're a different recipe? Are they thinner/less moussey or something?
Reply 194

I wonder why in the hell the milkybar desserts are unsuitable unless it's in the 2-pack.

I don't think I've ever had the 6-pack version of them, can anyone confirm they're a different recipe? Are they thinner/less moussey or something?

It might nt be a different recipe. Sometimes they're made on a different site/machine and thus there is a chance of cross contamination or something. This was the issue with mars bars in the early 90s - there were 3 different sizes and all 3 had different allergy infrmation.
Reply 195
More for the list!

Bassett's Mint Imperials, Spearmint Imperials, All Gums, Liquorice Allsorts

Why is it unsuitable? It contains gelatin.

Cadbury's Tasters, Shots, Peanuts and Raisins

Why is it unsuitable? It contains insect material.

(Source: http://www.gmwa.org.uk/foodguide2/?page=viewquestion&id=183)
(edited 13 years ago)
More for the list!

FML
Reply 197
Original post by clo-clo1
FML

What's wrong? It's the shells of these that have Shellac, did you not know? Sorry chica!
More for the list!

Noooooooooooo! Cadbury's Tasters??? Insect material??? :puke:
WHYYYY??? I just assumed it was vegetarian when I had it months ago! :sad:
Original post by affinity89
The American ones are even vegan, according to the vegan society. But, the UK ones have a different recipe, which I know contains milk... Not sure if it has anything that is not vegetarian though...

Ah, you're talking about Oreos aren't you? I don't see why the UK can't have the American recipe! :mad: I'd heard the mini Oreos in the UK were vegan but they're not.
:yes: Oreos are veggie, they only have whey in them.

Quick Reply

Latest