The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by It could be lupus
This sounds like you are wanting us to do your work for you... the basic answer is substantially

work? this is just a questions I've wondered about alot and wanted to do more reading about, but theres so much I dont know where to start, so I thought it may be easier to discuss it with others :smile:
Reply 181
Original post by AishaTara
oh wow really, which board or spec? I must see this!

It was Edexcel GCSE History B: Schools History Project
and we did Medicine through time, i think that was what it was called but one of the modules was called:
The Transformation of British Surgery c1845-1918

was pretty cool really haha :smile:
Reply 182
Original post by AishaTara
hey, what was your epq about?

I did mine on research into nanotechnology and it's application in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer. In most of my interviews the interviewers were quite interested to ask about it :smile:
Original post by nick2012
I did mine on research into nanotechnology and it's application in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer. In most of my interviews the interviewers were quite interested to ask about it :smile:

sounds interesting -I'm doing something along those lines more to do with advances in the medicine and problems arising . Would it be possible to have a read of your EPQ?
Neurodegenerative diseases. Shall be fun. :smile:
Hey everyone!

Basically, I'm just a bit stuck - I'm doing the Extended Project, and I've got two main ideas, but I have no idea which one to pursue.

At first I thought about doing a dissertation on medical physics; I mean, I want to do medicine, so it would be great if I did something related to that, right?
But I've been working on it the last few days, and honestly, I feel really bored doing it :frown:

I somehow managed to digress during my research and ended up reading about The Big Bang (wasn't much of a coincidence that Sheldon was on the telly talking about HIS SEAT :biggrin:) and then I figured, this is so much more interesting! Maybe I could do a dissertation about whether or not there is life out there! That way I'll be able to talk about space and maybe a little bit of string theory...

So yeah, I have no idea what to do - although space is really very interesting, it's probably rather irrelevant, and med phys is probably better...

Anyways, what do you think?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 186
I think the Big Bang option. It sounds more interesting and also shows you're not just interested in the medical side of things. You'd probably do a better project as well because medical physics is a rather broad topic.
Reply 187
Do the one you're most interested in. You'll write a better dissertation if you do.

I don't know how, if at all, dissertations are taken into account. I guess they could demonstrate self-directed learning, communication, written skills etc...
Reply 188
I want to do my extended project on medical treatments vs talking treatments. as i want to do pharmacy as a career i want to do it on these topics. can you give me some ideas on how i can get my research because i hant done anything yet, like where should i start from and where can i find the information, thanks!
Reply 189
Original post by nick2012
I found my EPQ really beneficial to my application. I've had two interviews so far for medicine, and at both interviews they seemed really interested in it. I think it shows a true interest in medicine as you do have to spend quite a bit of time doing it (nowhere near the 100 hours AQA suggests though).

In my opinion doing an EPQ would be of more benefit to you than doing Further Maths or Critical Thinking.

if you dont mind, can you tell me where u can get reliable information from and how do you structure the essay out? thanks
Original post by Olibert
xxx

Admissions won't care at all what you do it on. Showing you have academic interests outside of medicine is perfectly fine and it's more about the skills you develop. Just be willing to talk about whatever you did it on in interview as they could ask about it, especially if you mention it in your PS (won't ask you in an academic sense, but more to see how you talk about it).

I'd personally choose the Big Bang option.
Reply 191
Hey, i'm currently in year 12 but next year I was hoping to apply for medicine and do the extended project. I was wondering whether to do something medically related or do something completely different e.g. arts based and then say that I have other interests outside of medicine which include the topic of the project?

Also, for anyone who has done the extended project, do they help you get an offer and do uni's talk about them during the interviews. Also, is it actually worth doing?

thank you!
It's late so I won't type a fluent paragraph but just the key points:

1) do it in whatever you're most interested in. It's 5000 words, plus lots of research, plus references etc.

2) medical admissions don't care whether you do one or not. If you do, its more the skills they care about than the content.

3) if you mention it, they can ask you questions about it. it can either be on its content or on how you found doing the epq. if its on content, it won't be to academically quiz you on it, but more to see why you chose it, why you're interested in it and to see if you can summarise information properly

4) only worth doing if you make it worth doing.

hope it helps, good luck :smile:
Reply 193
Original post by Besakt
I've done mine on the cures for thalassemia, changed it from the "what causes morality", I must say my new topic is much more interesting it goes into stem cells and bone maroow transplantation and gene therapy, I've done my notes (7 hours every single day I spent on it for the past week) , need to finalise my question/title and plan my essay tomorrow and hopefully should all be done and dusted by next week.

Hi,
I was really interested on doing my project on thalassemia and wondered if you could advise me on what key points you used for yours and wondered if you could recommend any books to research from as they all seem to be very old or very expensive!!!
Any help would be really appreciated
Abbie
Subbed. I hope to do the EPQ next academic year.
hi everyone, need help with regards to choosing a topic.

i'm hoping to study medicine in uni so decided to do a topic about anaesthetic.
unfortunately due to dual accreditation, i'm kinda can't do it since it links in with biology (cell receptors, nervous system etc...)
if i was to do anaesthetic, how can i make it not link to biology alevel course?

if not...
there's an alternative topic which i want to do which is brain and language.
this doesn't link in with medicine much.
if possible, how can i link this topic with medicine?

thank you :smile:
Reply 196
Original post by nicecookie
hi everyone, need help with regards to choosing a topic.

i'm hoping to study medicine in uni so decided to do a topic about anaesthetic.
unfortunately due to dual accreditation, i'm kinda can't do it since it links in with biology (cell receptors, nervous system etc...)
if i was to do anaesthetic, how can i make it not link to biology alevel course?

if not...
there's an alternative topic which i want to do which is brain and language.
this doesn't link in with medicine much.
if possible, how can i link this topic with medicine?

thank you :smile:

Do something you will enjoy not because it will help you to get into medicine.
Reply 197
Original post by ~ACJ~
Hi,
I was really interested on doing my project on thalassemia and wondered if you could advise me on what key points you used for yours and wondered if you could recommend any books to research from as they all seem to be very old or very expensive!!!
Any help would be really appreciated
Abbie

I've got a new account now.

I can't really remember from the top of my head. But I remember using some degree level biochemistry books which I borrowed from teachers my brothers anatomy book somes stuff from the NHS website and various journals such as NEJM. I'll try and give you a list next week I'm currently busy with exams.
Original post by . .
Do something you will enjoy not because it will help you to get into medicine.

the only reason i'm doing the epq is because i know it is something i enjoy

i've studied the history medicine through time course so i have a little background knowledge about anaesthetic.
i really want to explore more into that topic.
but as i said, i can't really do it since there is an issue about dual accreditation with biology a2.
i'm just asking for help with regard to tackling this topic without mentioning any a2 biology work.

i really like to do the anaesthetic topic but...
if i can't do this topic, then i'm happy to do the alternative topic.
Reply 199
Original post by nicecookie
the only reason i'm doing the epq is because i know it is something i enjoy

i've studied the history medicine through time course so i have a little background knowledge about anaesthetic.
i really want to explore more into that topic.
but as i said, i can't really do it since there is an issue about dual accreditation with biology a2.
i'm just asking for help with regard to tackling this topic without mentioning any a2 biology work.

i really like to do the anaesthetic topic but...
if i can't do this topic, then i'm happy to do the alternative topic.

Just read your spec and try and create a question which does not overlap but leaves enough room for analysis evaluation and 5000 words.

Latest

Trending

Trending