The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Since when does a×a×a=3aa \times a \times a = 3a for all a? :wink: a+a+a=3aa+a+a=3a
Reply 2
Candy-Kills
Am i a genious or a complete idiot?

One would assume a person of extraordinary intellect could spell "genius".
I think I have to go with genius.
Our survey says.......

UH UHHHHHHHHH!
Reply 4
Seriously...

... what an idiot.
Reply 5
ok, but don't tell me it didn't struck u all the first time u saw it?

it did to me... (that was 4 years ago.. but still)
--------------
besides, maybe u arent aware of this but people is spain are really short, plz feel a little sympathy 4 me at least!
Reply 6
Come on man ,thats like saying 1x1x1=3
Candy-Kills
ok, but don't tell me it didn't struck u all the first time u saw it?
Err... nope. I was expecting some mathematical "slight of hand" but instead you effectively said 2*2=9.
Reply 8
AHH! That was bad...It is amazing how many geniouses we have on this forum :smile:

But here is a slightly better one,

ok let

x^2 + x + 1 = 0

(times by x) x^3 + x^2 + x = 0
(add 1 to both sides) x^3 + x^2 + x + 1 = 1
(but we know that x^2 + x + 1 = 0), therefore, x^3 + 0 = 1
x^3= 1
x = 1 :smile:
therefore, because of the original definition,
1 + 1 + 1 = 0
3 = 0:biggrin:

wow!
Reply 9
Vazzyb
AHH! That was bad...

But here is a slightly better one,

ok let

x^2 + x + 1 = 0

(times by x) x^3 + x^2 + x = 0
(add 1 to both sides) x^3 + x^2 + x + 1 = 1
(but we know that x^2 + x + 1 = 0), therefore, x^3 + 0 = 1
x^3= 1
x = 1 :smile:
therefore, because of the original definition,
1 + 1 + 1 = 0
3 = 0

wow!

Slightly? Thats much better by far.
Reply 10
Malik
Slightly? Thats much better by far.

But of course, there exists no real solutions to the proposed quadratic.
Reply 11
so...
Reply 12
x^3 = 1 has there solutions, 1 is real, 2 are complex.
And x^2 + x + 1 = 0 has 2 roots only (as it's quadratic) => they are complex, which also give x^3 = 1
Reply 13
yea :frown: o well lol
Reply 14
foxo
One would assume a person of extraordinary intellect could spell "genius".

since when the knowledge of MATHS depends on the knowledge of ENGLISH?
also : One would assume a person of extraordinary intellect could know that the first language of people from Spain is not English... making a spelling mistake doesnt have ANYTHING to do with whether he/she is good at math or not!
besides, i bet that if he/she wrote the question in spanish, you wouldnt be able to give that "comment"... and yet: i bet if u had to answer that question in Spanish... you would had alot of mistakes.
Reply 15
yazan_l
also : One would assume a person of extraordinary intellect could know that the first language of people from Spain is not English... making a spelling mistake doesnt have ANYTHING to do with whether he/she is good at math or not!
besides, i bet that if he/she wrote the question in spanish, you wouldnt be able to give that "comment"... and yet: i bet if u had to answer that question in Spanish... you would had alot of mistakes.
he isn't neccessarily (sp:frown:) from spain. indeed, i doubt he is.
Reply 16
yazan_l

But the OP made no reference that their "genius" was limited to mathematics. If you ask me, it sounded like they were trying to make themselves out as genius in all areas. Oh, and answering the question in Spanish would make no difference, seeing as things like √2 aren't really dependent on language.
Reply 17
Genius is undefined in the realms of mathematics.
Reply 18
~Bex~
But the OP made no reference that their "genius" was limited to mathematics. If you ask me, it sounded like they were trying to make themselves out as genius in all areas. Oh, and answering the question in Spanish would make no difference, seeing as things like √2 aren't really dependent on language.

well about the first part: i didnt understnd what u mean, which might be because my first language isnt English (which doesnt make me any more or less smart)...
but about the second part: you didnt get what i mean, what i was saying is that if foxo had to explain that in spanish (assuming his first language isnt spanish or he isnt bilingual) he would have alot of spelling mistakes. which also doesnt make him any more or less smart or "genius".
Reply 19
yazan_l
well about the first part: i didnt understnd what u mean, which might be because my first language isnt English (which doesnt make me any more or less smart)...
but about the second part: you didnt get what i mean, what i was saying is that if foxo had to explain that in spanish (assuming his first language isnt spanish or he isnt bilingual) he would have alot of spelling mistakes. which also doesnt make him any more or less smart or "genius".

The first part of what I said:
Candy-Kills said they were a genius. This means they are extremely intelligent, not just in one subject, but in all subjects, therefore spelling shouldnt be a problem.

The second part, well it could still be explained perfectly well in numbers,

Latest