The Student Room Group

What happens if I fail my dissertation

Having a panic attack right now. Due to a series of reasons, most of which can be summed up as me being a complete lazy idiot, my dissertation is due in about 10 hours and I have only done about 500 words and no research. How screwed am I? What happens if/when I fail? I am absolutely terrified.
Original post by PawelHernandez
Having a panic attack right now. Due to a series of reasons, most of which can be summed up as me being a complete lazy idiot, my dissertation is due in about 10 hours and I have only done about 500 words and no research. How screwed am I? What happens if/when I fail? I am absolutely terrified.

Yeah, that's not ideal. The exact rules will vary from university to university, but it's likely that you'll be able to request an extension. Don't be surprised if that means your mark is capped at 40%. Perhaps not what you were hoping for, but better than a fail.

Talk to whoever you need to talk to (your tutor, course leader, student support, etc.) first thing in the morning to establish how to get an extension. Once you've managed to arrange it, stop being so much of a "complete lazy idiot" and actually do the dissertation. :smile:
Reply 2
Find a way of getting an extension then just do it. Work constantly and drop everything you possibly can.
Hi there,

Like other modules if you fail there is typically an opportunity to resit the module. This will typically mean the grade is capped at 40%, however rules differ between University so I would conduct your School/Department guidebook to check any specific rules.

Good luck :smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Original post by PawelHernandez

Hi,

As a third-year Psychology student I understand the dissertation was a challenging piece of work. I understand your frustration, however I am sure if you speak to your module leader you may be able to resit or maybe you have managed to find an extension. At DMU resits mean there is a cap of 40%, but universities differ in terms of the rules like the Liverpool rep said.

The best case is to speak to someone at your University. I hope you get the help you need. Wish you the best of luck

All the best,
Tianna :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending