The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

m150 - struggling

Hi all,

I have been doing M150 now since October last year. I don't have an IT programming background but I thought that since it was only a level 1 course, it wouldn't be too hard to grasp. I hit a few hurdles but thought I'd just about skimmed through the basics but now I've hit a wall and I think it would take me reading the last three books to be able to do it.

I feel it is so mathematical to some degree and my brain doesn't work that way. Whenever I read reviews everyone is saying how 'basic' it is and I'm sat here like 'wow really?!' I've managed to somehow do really good in my last two assignments (literally I have NO IDEA how) but everytime I open my book I hit a wall and literally get a headache. I'm just finding it so hard and when they ask me to do activities I literally CANNOT do them because I don't understand the logic behind Java programming. The basic stuff is ok but one book on and I'm completely clueless as to what I'm supposed to be doing.

Has anyone else had this problem or even on a similar course? I need some virtual comforting! :confused:
Reply 1
Been there Shingdig. I was doing T396 Artificial Intelligence for Technology, years ago. I was chasing an IT diploma but didn't really have the programming background to be doing such a course. We had to work with two languages. I really struggled with the first language but on my final piece of work with it, I cracked it and got a basic understanding of its logic. But then the course moved on to another language. It was just so alien to me I couldn't cope (plus I was doing another course) and had to drop out. My tutor had encouraged me to attend the lectures but I didn't make enough effort to go. My mistake. £200 plus wasted and no diploma! :redface: So I know how you feel. It's taken me 10 years to recover! :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
I've moved on to Level 2 IT/Computing subjects now, and most of the students have done M150 previously - and you're certainly not the only one to think like that! Personally I quite enjoyed the JavaScript parts, but there are a lot of people on my courses now who absolutely hated it.

Don't forget that it's only a level 1 course, and you only need 40% to pass, and please don't forget about your tutor! They're there to help. Have you been to any of the tutorials? You might find them helpful, since in my experience it's often the other people who are struggling who go to them. I think my tutor ran at least one focusing on JavaScript queries when I did M150.

Start off very very basic, just try to do a tiny part of the question/activity and check to make sure that line was processed correctly. Build it up slowly, checking every couple of lines - then you can see exactly where you're going wrong and read a bit more into that part. Also try looking at the solutions to some of the activities, typing them up and editing them bit by bit to make them do something different. It might help you understand how it works.

Luckily for your final TMA, you can choose between a JavaScript question & a report question!
Javascript is a funny language, trying to debug it can be a pain if you don't have an IDE with syntax highlighting etc. But it can also be very accomodating. If you've got any general questions about it I'm sure we can help out here.
Reply 4
I did M150 a couple of years ago. I was thinking of doing a few more computing courses to try and get a computing qualification alongside my psychology degree (which I'm still doing).

I thought the javascript tma was really hard and I couldn't get my program to work as I recall. I just did the best I could, submitted my answer trying to show as much understanding of the issues as I could. I don't remember the exact mark for that TMA but I think it was a C equivilant, with the damned programme now working!

So, I learned that computing, at least academically, isn't for me. However, I passed the course overall and the grade of a level one course isn't added to an overall degree rating. So it's just sixty points to add to my total.

It's as Kate said, you only need 40% to pass. Do your best, submit what you can, don't sweat it - and I"m sure you'll be fine.
Reply 5
Thank you so much for your comments, has made me feel a lot better :smile: I think I will try and simply do what I can, even if I get a poor mark in this one the other two good grades should keep the average to an acceptable standard!

Funnily enough I stumbled on a facebook forum from last year and lots of people posted similar things to myself also which was good.

So glad this is a level one and won't be added to my final grade! Thanks again for your thoughts!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 6
I'm also having problem with the JavaScript section, which is really disheartening because I want to go onto to study computer science and work in software development :erm:. I am set on getting a first in my degree and will work my tail off in the next level courses to make sure.
One of the good things about JS is how popular it is, so there are a lot of good resources on the web (except w3schools!) which are worth having a read through if you're trying to learn more. Regarding the OU degree, at level 2 the study of programming is a lot more in depth so even if you're not quite "in the groove" yet, by the end of those courses you should be.

Quick Reply

Latest