The Student Room Group

Referencing in essay question

Afternoon ladies and gents, hope someone can help me with this one!
Ok, I have referenced someone in my essay but not as in a word for word reference, but very much along the same lines if not exact same wording. I know this needs to go in my references section obviously but how do I write it in my essay/ At the moment, I have a study by name in year says blah blah blah. Is that ok? Or should I put what the guy has said and then a (name, year) after it? or are both ways fine?! Thank you!!! Also, it's not far off word for word, the general gist with some words the same, so would that be plagiarism anyway?!?! Don't know how to do it for the best, but it's gonna be a huge quote if I do it word for word exactly so just wanted to make it look a little better iyswim?!
do you mean you have used someone's idea/concept? reference the article/paper/book you found it in. it doesn't have to be a direct quote to require a reference. I'm not quite sure i exactly understand your dilemma...
Reply 2
Just write something like "A similar exposition of this idea can be found in ..." in your references section.
Reply 3
I am writing about the findings from someone's study, so I have put that according to the person's study in the year they did it, they found out blah blah blah. I know it needs a reference in the references section, but so far the only references I have used are direct quotes so i'm not sure if referencing it like that in my text and then a reference at the end is ok? I don't think I'm explaining myself v well, sorry!Also, just wanted to check it was ok to do it like that for someone's findings basically, so yeah their idea really!
you need to make sure that you reference not only direct quotes, but also people's ideas. so, you could say:

Peter Bloggs said in 2002:
'all mice are more intelligent than dogs. Our study, involving super-dooper cheesits proves this in three ways....etc etc

Or you could say:
Studies have shown that mice are more intelligent than dogs (Bloggs, 2002).

In the bibliog at the end, you'll need to reference Bloggs' study.

Is that what you meant?
Reply 5
I think so, so basically if I am referencing an idea or concept I need to put it as a direct quote? What I have done is put their name and the year, said that their findings say such and such blah blah, but not in the exact words I found it quoted. I think I will just go for what I know and redo that bit, my brain is hurting
no, my point was that you DO NOT need to put a direct quote - you just need to make sure you reference it.
Reply 7
Original post by alibobs
I think so, so basically if I am referencing an idea or concept I need to put it as a direct quote? What I have done is put their name and the year, said that their findings say such and such blah blah, but not in the exact words I found it quoted. I think I will just go for what I know and redo that bit, my brain is hurting

Hi alibobs what i normally do is do something like this when i am quoting or cited someone in my essay for example
Andrews(2007)states " Neurons are found in the brain,they consist of blah blah"
where i put andrews and the date i would have a insert reference no like I
and reference back to the end of my essay and write where andrews has come from and what articles.Also if i am quoting what he said i would also put a no again after the " marks
If that makes anysense.I always make sure that if i have quoted someone,i always tell the reader where they information has come from.Hope this helps.referencing can take ages to do alibobs but its always worth it in the end.
Reply 8
Original post by wizardtop
Hi alibobs what i normally do is do something like this when i am quoting or cited someone in my essay for example
Andrews(2007)states " Neurons are found in the brain,they consist of blah blah"
where i put andrews and the date i would have a insert reference no like I
and reference back to the end of my essay and write where andrews has come from and what articles.Also if i am quoting what he said i would also put a no again after the " marks
If that makes anysense.I always make sure that if i have quoted someone,i always tell the reader where they information has come from.Hope this helps.referencing can take ages to do alibobs but its always worth it in the end.

I think I get what you're saying, well I do get what you're saying! Basically, I am referencing someone's idea, but not word for word quote,and so not using a direct quotation such as ""word for word text here". So I guess another question I have would be do I still need the quotation marks for writing my own words about someone's idea? I am pretty new to it all, and have so far only used direct word for word quotations which is why I'm unsure on this one. I really don't think I'm making much sense at all am I
Reply 9
Original post by flying plum
you need to make sure that you reference not only direct quotes, but also people's ideas. so, you could say:

Or you could say:
Studies have shown that mice are more intelligent than dogs (Bloggs, 2002).

^^ I would do it like that (Surname, Year), after the section of text that you have paraphrased. If it is a direct quote (word for word) then it must go inside of quote mark thingys " "
:biggrin:
Reply 10
I found this website really useful when it came to referencing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending