The Student Room Group

Choosing A-levels for an Economics degree

I thought I'd make this thread for people who are potentially heading for an economics degree at university. Economics is statistically the most competitive course with thousands and thousands of people applying for limited places. Because the degree course is so competitive, choosing the correct A-levels is so important as I have realised, so I thought I'd make this thread so you can benefit from my hindsight and not make the same mistakes as me.

At top 20 universities, economics is largely made up of maths, so if you don't like Maths, I suggest you look for degrees with a BA title as opposed to Bsc, as this is more likely (however, not always the case) to be less mathematical.

Choosing A-levels for Bsc Economics.

First off, the most important A-level, Maths. If you don't have maths to A2 then you will struggle to find an economics course (at a top 20 uni) that will take you.

Secondly, Further maths and Economics. Particularly the former. Top economics degrees are very quantitative and with increased competition year on year I strongly advise you take Further maths to give your application the best chance
(I didn't realise further maths was necessary and am now going to do AS in my second year to try and catch up a little). As for Economics, if you are interested enough to be reading this and want to pursue it at a degree level chances are you'll want to take it anyway.

Thirdly, the fourth subject can be any one of a number of things, I recommend one (or two if you want to do 5 AS') from the following:

Languages, History, Physics, Chemistry, Geography. There are other suitable choices but I feel those five in addition to the other three subjects would put you at a bigger advantage.

SUMMARY: If you want to pursue an economics degree at a top university, take Maths, Further Maths, Economics and one other academic subject.

WARNING FOR A2. Some universities only like you to take further maths to A2 if it is taken along with three other subjects. They argue Maths, Further Maths and Economics to be too much of a narrow subject combination and they want another academic but not related subject in addition to those three.

Hope it was of some use, any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cheers for the help, what do you think of combination;

Maths, History Economics? And my fourth is Law - which I'm thinking of dropping next year. I do have an option to pick up an additional AS; any AS or do General Studies full A-Level in one year OR GCSE Latin, what would you reccomend?

I only got 8 GCSE's with 2 BTECs, I got 1 A* 3A and 4B, and three distinctions (supposedly 3 A equivalent); what are my chances to get into Economics? Would taking Latin GCSE be advisable? Hope you can help!
Reply 2
Original post by Antonton

Maths, History Economics? And my fourth is Law - which I'm thinking of dropping next year. I do have an option to pick up an additional AS; any AS or do General Studies full A-Level in one year OR GCSE Latin, what would you reccomend?

I only got 8 GCSE's with 2 BTECs, I got 1 A* 3A and 4B, and three distinctions (supposedly 3 A equivalent); what are my chances to get into Economics? Would taking Latin GCSE be advisable? Hope you can help!

Hey,

Maths, History and Economics is an excellent combination, and you're right in saying dropping Law to A2 is a good idea. As for what to do as a fifth AS in your second year, I strongly recommend Further Maths if you can do it. Any extra GCSE will really make negligible difference, as would a full general studies A-level.

I think you have a good chance of getting to an Economics degree if you ace your AS, your GCSE's may be relatively weak compared to other candidates but if you get A's at AS and predicted A's at A2 there's no reason why you can't do an economics degree at a respectable institution.
Reply 3
Thank you so much for posting this, it is extremely helpful.

I am currently taking Maths, Economics, French and Biology (AS) but i am planning

on dropping french A2 as i believe i'll find it much easier to get an A* with Biology.

Also should although i don't do further maths now. I was planning on doing the Full

A level in year 13 instead of just further maths As level, what do you think to this?

on my Ucas would i be able to have a further math prediction by my school?
Reply 4
Original post by A_clizzy
Thank you so much for posting this, it is extremely helpful.

I am currently taking Maths, Economics, French and Biology (AS) but i am planning

on dropping french A2 as i believe i'll find it much easier to get an A* with Biology.

Also should although i don't do further maths now. I was planning on doing the Full

A level in year 13 instead of just further maths As level, what do you think to this?

on my Ucas would i be able to have a further math prediction by my school?

Yes you should definitely do the full Further Maths in year 13 if you think you can handle it, it will be quite heavy going though?

Yeah, if you were doing the full A-level you could put your prediction on UCAS, although I doubt they'd place much weighting on the actual prediction because you won't have done any tests in it yet. They will still be very pleased and impressed that you have done it though.
Original post by Antonton

I did maths, history and economics - awesome combination :biggrin: Don't bother doing general studies, it really doesn't help at all and hardly any unis care about it. I wouldn't recommend GCSE Latin either, I did it (when I was doing my GCSEs though, not in yr 13) and I don't think it helps that much. I'd pick up AS further maths if I were you :smile:
Hi, I'm doing, Maths (Full A level) Bio, Chem and Physics and Critical Thinking. I will be doing full further maths next year. Regardless of grade (although im hoping for an a* in maths this year) will unis prefer the way i am doing it, as opposed to others? also should i drop biology next year and focus on the other 3.

i want do a degree in maths/economics/actuarial science.
Reply 7
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Hi, I'm doing, Maths (Full A level) Bio, Chem and Physics and Critical Thinking. I will be doing full further maths next year. Regardless of grade (although im hoping for an a* in maths this year) will unis prefer the way i am doing it, as opposed to others? also should i drop biology next year and focus on the other 3.

i want do a degree in maths/economics/actuarial science.

Hi, that's a very similar set to me! :smile:

I'm not sure if the uni's will "prefer" the way you have done it, because it's not as if most people get a choice at their schools, however it is good to be applying with an already achieved grade. I don't see why you shouldn't drop Biology (I'm going to drop it and replace it with Further Maths AS). It may be a disadvantage that you don't have economics but I saw in your sig your interested in a joint maths/economics degree, your choices should be fine for this :smile:
do politics (surprising how relevant it is to economics), economics and maths. i don't think further maths is essential at all. id do a science AS instead personally.
Reply 9
Original post by llamalad200
do politics (surprising how relevant it is to economics), economics and maths. i don't think further maths is essential at all. id do a science AS instead personally.

If you don't think further maths is essential then you are completely misinformed. Further maths is becoming almost mandatory for some courses.
Original post by tateco
Hi, that's a very similar set to me! :smile:

I'm not sure if the uni's will "prefer" the way you have done it, because it's not as if most people get a choice at their schools, however it is good to be applying with an already achieved grade. I don't see why you shouldn't drop Biology (I'm going to drop it and replace it with Further Maths AS). It may be a disadvantage that you don't have economics but I saw in your sig your interested in a joint maths/economics degree, your choices should be fine for this :smile:

Ahah, oh sweet! Thanks for the advice.
Original post by llamalad200

A lot of top universities say that your application will be disadvantaged without Further Maths.
I'm doing:
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Economics

I am debating whether or not I should change one of the sciences to english lit, but if I somehow change my mind later on in the year and not want to do an economics degree, I know I will pursue some sort of science degree.
Will I be at a serious disadvantage if I DON'T take further maths? I am quite competent, on track to get an A in GCSE maths (if I put in more effort in the first 2 modules I know I could be on track for an A*) an A* is still possible for me, I just need about 80% in module 5.
So, do you think I will be able to do further maths (i.e get a good grade), and if not, will I be at a big disadvantage?
Reply 13
Original post by Mendeleev's Table
I'm doing:
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Economics

I am debating whether or not I should change one of the sciences to english lit, but if I somehow change my mind later on in the year and not want to do an economics degree, I know I will pursue some sort of science degree.
Will I be at a serious disadvantage if I DON'T take further maths? I am quite competent, on track to get an A in GCSE maths (if I put in more effort in the first 2 modules I know I could be on track for an A*) an A* is still possible for me, I just need about 80% in module 5.
So, do you think I will be able to do further maths (i.e get a good grade), and if not, will I be at a big disadvantage?

They are the subjects I'm doing and they're really good, but you could definitely swap one of the sciences for English lit (I'd probably choose Biology) and you'd have a really strong set of subjects. IMO it wouldn't necessarily advantage you in any way.

If you think you might want to go into science stick with the subjects you have got.

Further maths is highly recommended for economics degrees now, they are very quantitative (have lots of maths in) so if that is what you think you want to pursue then take it up. On the other hand, if you think further maths may be a bit too much for you at this stage, don't do further maths and see how you find A-level, if you are finding it okay then you could take up further maths AS in year 13 (like I'm planning on doing :smile: )
Reply 14
Dunno if you guys've seen it, but I looked on the LSE website today and it seemed to me that they were basically requiring further maths to at least as level. Which is lame, as I don't do further maths, and the requirement (for 2012 entry) only came out very recently.
Original post by Acerbic
Dunno if you guys've seen it, but I looked on the LSE website today and it seemed to me that they were basically requiring further maths to at least as level. Which is lame, as I don't do further maths, and the requirement (for 2012 entry) only came out very recently.

Yeah, they said that to us on the open day.
Reply 16
Yeah I am a 2011/2012 candidate? I forget which date but I am in year 12 :P

But yeah I picked wrong subject combination due to school being awful and not supportive, I picked

Maths
Economics
Chemistry
IT

So like this year I am having to drop IT and self teach myself further maths. The course L100 at UCL has FM as near essential >.>, which is what I am aiming for.
Reply 17
Original post by YingYang
Yeah I am a 2011/2012 candidate? I forget which date but I am in year 12 :P

But yeah I picked wrong subject combination due to school being awful and not supportive, I picked

Maths
Economics
Chemistry
IT

So like this year I am having to drop IT and self teach myself further maths. The course L100 at UCL has FM as near essential >.>, which is what I am aiming for.

Yeah, I didn't realise how important it was until recently, I'm going to do AS FM in year 13 and hope that's enough :/
Reply 18
Original post by Acerbic

Try and do AS further maths in year 13, that's what I'm going to do. Although they do say that you are required to get an A in AS fm so that's just more added pressure...

It's a bit weird that they put so much emphasis on further maths, but then say if you have only maths, further maths and economics it isn't enough... :s-smilie:
Reply 19
Original post by jamiepango
I like this thread :biggrin:

He is right, if you have the choice to do further maths, do it. Otherwise you might regret it...

I'm thinking it will probably end up turning into an economics applicants 2012 thread :P

Yeah, I can't emphasise how important taking further maths is, if you're in year 11 now do it! Don't make the same mistake I did... I just hope AS is enough... :/

Quick Reply

Latest