The Student Room Group

Student Finance and Leave of Absence

I'm currently in my first year at university and have been struck down with very bad health problems. Just for a bit of background, I suffer long-term mental health problems that have flared up more than I had hoped.

As such, my university have suggested I take a leave of absence until September where I can repeat my year as first attempt. Jolly lovely supportive people, they are, naturally.

I was just wondering as to how this'll affect my student finance? If I commence a leave of absence now, how will it affect my future finance? I take it as read that my next loan instalment won't be paid to me, naturally, but how will this affect me specifically?

Having had 2 instalments and not the third seems odd, will I have to pay any back immediately or what?

Furthermore, on a less university-themed note, what the hell am I supposed to do now?! I can't see myself being able to work, I'm probably currently into my overdraft which will no doubt be taken away as it's a student account and I'll technically not be a student?

So yeah, some advice and whatnot would be cool thanks :smile:
Reply 1
My first post here, looking for a bit of help myself.

Firstly to answer your question, I am currently on a second L.O.A. due to poor health, due to return in September.

My attendance has been as follows

2007/08 - First Year: Attended (Living with parents, only tuition fee loan applied for and granted)

2008/09 - Second Year: LOA (again living with parents at the time, so applied for and received only tuition fees loan.)

2009/10 - Returned to complete second year (Moved into a flat, so this time applying and receiving both tuition fee and maintenance loans.)

2010/11 3 weeks into third year (October 2010) forced to take another LOA due to returning health problems. (Following meeting was granted both tuition fee and maintenance loans)

Initially I was told I wouldn't receive any maintenance loans due to leaving the course before December 2010, however after a meeting with the council explaining that I have rent/bills to pay, and that I had only a few weeks earlier signed a new tenancy agreement for 12 months, they agreed to pay my maintenance loan. (The lady I had a meeting with was very good, used common sense instead of brick-walling me with 'its the policy' comments. She did say that although usually I wouldn't be receiving loans, as they were loans it was neither here nor there as it would be money that would be returned, as opposed to grants.)

They did however say they wouldn't be able to pay my tuition fees (which were £600 for the time I had studied before leaving), after looking at my circumstances they agreed to pay my tuition fees via a loan as well as maintenance loan.

So to answer your question, I am on a LOA and got both tuition fees and maintenance loans paid. However, this was with the local council, who have now passed on all responsibility to Student Finance Direct - it shouldn't make much difference, but just be aware.

Just to answer your last question, while I was on my first LOA I was able to apply and receive employment suppose allowance from the job centre (effectively disability benefit) as I supplied them with a letter from the university stating that I was no longer a student. I was also able to keep my student account, I simply didn't inform the bank of my situation, and never had any problems. I didn't have to pay any loans back up front, it simply adds on and follows the 'once your employed earning over £xxxx rule'. I did, however, have to pay interest on the loans I had already taken, which I was a bit pissed off about, but again its just added onto the final bill.

Hope that helps you, now onto my problem...

The problem I have now is that having spoked to student finance direct, they have said that as I received funding during a LOA I have effectively used up one of my years worth of funding, meaning that by the time I enter the 4th and final year of my course I won't be able to get any funding and will have to pay fees and whatnot out of my own pocket.

I'm going to be appealing that, or at least looking into it as it seems very harsh to be penalised for being ill, especially when the LOA was taken on the advice of the university and with medical evidence supplied.

Hope that helps you, and if anyone could help me with what plans of action I should take with the suggestion that I will have to fund the entire final year of my course myself (would be over £6000 all told, no way I can afford that, even if I saved from now till then) it would be appreciated

That must be the longest first post I've ever made :biggrin:

Hope your health improves in the near future, I know how frustrating it is to have to leave a course midway through (The people I started my course with will be graduating in 2 months, while at the earliest I won't be graduating for another 2 years)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Hey,

Just wondering, I'm about to take a medical absence from my 3rd year of uni due to a combination of mental health issues and an appalling financial situation.

I'm in a privately rented flat and as a student living with one other student don't pay council tax, but will this change once I leave uni? I'll be back in September to resit the year, obviously, but can't afford council tax. Especially as I won't be getting a student loan, any help from family and am unable to work for more than a couple of weeks due to where my job is!

Thanks in advance!
Reply 3
Original post by little-fish
Hey,

Just wondering, I'm about to take a medical absence from my 3rd year of uni due to a combination of mental health issues and an appalling financial situation.

I'm in a privately rented flat and as a student living with one other student don't pay council tax, but will this change once I leave uni? I'll be back in September to resit the year, obviously, but can't afford council tax. Especially as I won't be getting a student loan, any help from family and am unable to work for more than a couple of weeks due to where my job is!

Thanks in advance!

Hi

I can also help with that, its the situation myself and my fiancée are in. She has graduated and is no longer a student, but I am still considered a student (even while on a LOA)

We get a 25% reduction on the council tax as only 1 person is currently not a student.

I would have thought that while on a LOA you will be considered a student in the eyes of the council, as I am. I would recommend asking for a letter from the university to the effect of 'so and so is currently on a leave of absance and is expected to return to their studies in September 2011'

Hope that helps.
Reply 4
Thank you kindly!
Reply 5
Just thought I'd drop by and update my LOA/Finance situation

Having met with the finance people at the uni, they have confirmed that as my LOA was on medical grounds, I will be eligible for full funding for the entirety of my studies, regardless of any years taken on on medical grounds

She wrote a strongly worded letter to student finance england quoting regulations etc, and has confirmed that I was given duff information by them, saying 'Student finance england don't know their arse from their elbow alot of the time'

Just thought I'd post this for achieve reasons more than anything, should anyone unfortunately find themselves in a similar situation to me.

The best advice is see the finance people at the uni, although its not their department, they can often help out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending