The Student Room Group

Two-year leave of absence for the military service

Hi eveyone. I’m a international student who from south korea. As a korean I have to do military seevice for 2 years. So I plan to leave of absence for 2 years to go military after my first year. But Wouldn't the university allow this? I want to take a leave of absence after finishing my first year, but when I asked the university, I only got a reply from the marketing officer that I can’t take a leave of absence for two consecutive years. Then, do international students who have to go to the army like me go to the army after graduation?
Why not do your service then go to uni after that? Ok so you’ll be 20 not 18 when you start that totally would be fine I went to uni at 21 and had no problems also that military experience will probably help make you a better student.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi eveyone. I’m a international student who from south korea. As a korean I have to do military seevice for 2 years. So I plan to leave of absence for 2 years to go military after my first year. But Wouldn't the university allow this? I want to take a leave of absence after finishing my first year, but when I asked the university, I only got a reply from the marketing officer that I can’t take a leave of absence for two consecutive years. Then, do international students who have to go to the army like me go to the army after graduation?

This is going to be university dependent, I know someone who took an official 2-year interuption of studies at Imperial for national service, rejoined as planned and completed the degree. You need to talk to someone like a course director, not a marketing officer.
I agree, this will depend on the regulations of the particular uni. The academic department you want to join should be able to help.

Some unis may be fine with it, but I imagine most would prefer you to apply for year 1 entry during your final year of national service rather taking a long gap.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
The other option (a least from an institutional perspective - I'm unsure what SK's position is) is deferring the national service until you complete the degree. Most of my internationals do this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending