The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

:hi:

I applied for Economics this year. Need any help feel free to ask or PM:wink:

(Haven't been on for a long time-Nice to see people starting so early!)
Reply 221
Original post by jamiepango
Haha I know, it's just that I'm devoting most of the revision time towards chemistry and *hopefully* it won't affect my other subjects. If I can somehow scrape an A, I will be more than happy :P

Have you done any modules already? If you have, I'm sure you can shift some time away from those subjects to chemistry. I'm having similar problems with Biology, the revision time required is so much longer!
Reply 222
Original post by The Young Economist
:hi:

I applied for Economics this year. Need any help feel free to ask or PM:wink:

(Haven't been on for a long time-Nice to see people starting so early!)

Got any words of wisdom for us? Anything that you majorly regret or mistakes that you have seen others make?
Original post by Groat
Have you done any modules already? If you have, I'm sure you can shift some time away from those subjects to chemistry. I'm having similar problems with Biology, the revision time required is so much longer!

That's what I'm thinking :smile: I've done C1 and biology unit 1 in january which takes a bit of pressure off, so I've got 8 exams in the summer.
Biology is all about memorising, especially for OCR! If you're on the same exam board, you'll know how picky they are with your answers....
Reply 224
That's what I'm thinking :smile: I've done C1 and biology unit 1 in january which takes a bit of pressure off, so I've got 8 exams in the summer.
Biology is all about memorising, especially for OCR! If you're on the same exam board, you'll know how picky they are with your answers....

Yes, I am on OCR. I'm actually revising using mark schemes to ensure that I get the exact answers they want!

Are you doing OCR Economics?
Me :smile:

Looking at Oxford/LSE as the 2 dreams :smile:

Warwick, Nottingham, Bath etc are all great unis too!

I need to look into some lower ones just incase I don't get my A's :P
Reply 226
Original post by Groat
Yes, I am on OCR. I'm actually revising using mark schemes to ensure that I get the exact answers they want!

Did you do unit 1 for OCR biology in January? The test was absolutely atrocious, they ask so many obscure things! Mark schemes are definitely useful for phrasing but they never seem to put the same (or similar) questions twice which is annoying
Original post by Groat

Haha same! I thought the january paper was alot different compared to past papers in terms of wording of questions. Did you do the january paper?

I'm afraid I'm not, but that might be a good thing :wink: I'm on edexcel
Reply 228
Original post by tateco
Did you do unit 1 for OCR biology in January? The test was absolutely atrocious, they ask so many obscure things! Mark schemes are definitely useful for phrasing but they never seem to put the same (or similar) questions twice which is annoying

Unfortunately my school prefers to take them both in June, apparently it'll ensure we get better marks. It just seems like more work at the wrong times to me!

I can't believe it's only 43 days until exams start!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by tateco

Original post by tateco

Got any words of wisdom for us? Anything that you majorly regret or mistakes that you have seen others make?

I ended up getting all my offers :biggrin: but they're are a couple of things, I'm sure you know most of this though.

1. For Cambridge make sure you actually want to do the subject. I've seen many people caught out at interview stage just because they don't really have passion (i hate that word :tongue: - but can't think of another word) for Economics. Saying that everyone who does get in, isn't an Economics freak, but do have a reasonable understanding of the discipline and are v good at maths. Conversely, other top Unis don't interview (as I'm sure you know) so getting into say LSE means = top grades, good strong subjects (preferably 4 inc FM) and a brilliant PS.

2. Do not apply all top unis. The amount of people I've seen get 5 rejections! (Bit ironic since i done something similar, yet managed to get away with it)

3. FM is a brilliant subject to have but beware many unis consider it a '4th' subject. Nonetheless its looked on very highly and puts you in good stead for your first year. A recommendation to people who have not done it is to take up AS FM.

4. When writing your PS, remember it is personal to you! There's no right way of going about it.

5. If you want a really good sense of Economics attempt to just do as much as you can with regards to the subject. Reading is v helpful, join a school club, work experience, essay competitions, summer schools, lectures etc etc

6. No university tells us the criteria they look upon when considering a candidate. The best thing you can possibly do is attempt to do well in your exams, write a fantastic PS and hopefully your school will back up your application. That way hopefully you can cover your back (easier said then done).

7. Try and get good predicted grades especially in maths. An A* prediction (or if you are doing FM, an A*) will help your application hugely. Remember your competition will be very strong.

8. Lastly consider, if you so wish, variations of Economics. There are a number of fantastic and strong course apart from straight Economics. (maths, politics, philosophy etc etc)

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. If I think of anything else I'll add it in. If you do need advice once again please ask!
I ended up getting all my offers :biggrin: but they're are a couple of things, I'm sure you know most of this though.

1. For Cambridge make sure you actually want to do the subject. I've seen many people caught out at interview stage just because they don't really have passion (i hate that word :tongue: - but can't think of another word) for Economics. Saying that everyone who does get in, isn't an Economics freak, but do have a reasonable understanding of the discipline and are v good at maths. Conversely, other top Unis don't interview (as I'm sure you know) so getting into say LSE means = top grades, good strong subjects (preferably 4 inc FM) and a brilliant PS.

2. Do not apply all top unis. The amount of people I've seen get 5 rejections! (Bit ironic since i done something similar, yet managed to get away with it)

3. FM is a brilliant subject to have but beware many unis consider it a '4th' subject. Nonetheless its looked on very highly and puts you in good stead for your first year. A recommendation to people who have not done it is to take up AS FM.

4. When writing your PS, remember it is personal to you! There's no right way of going about it.

5. If you want a really good sense of Economics attempt to just do as much as you can with regards to the subject. Reading is v helpful, join a school club, work experience, essay competitions, summer schools, lectures etc etc

6. No university tells us the criteria they look upon when considering a candidate. The best thing you can possibly do is attempt to do well in your exams, write a fantastic PS and hopefully your school will back up your application. That way hopefully you can cover your back (easier said then done).

7. Try and get good predicted grades especially in maths. An A* prediction (or if you are doing FM, an A*) will help your application hugely. Remember your competition will be very strong.

8. Lastly consider, if you so wish, variations of Economics. There are a number of fantastic and strong course apart from straight Economics. (maths, politics, philosophy etc etc)

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. If I think of anything else I'll add it in. If you do need advice once again please ask!

Congratulations on getting all your offers! Do you mind sharing which ones you got into? :P

This is all very good advice, thanks alot! :biggrin:
hi guys, I was thinking about applying for economics next year, however is it worth me applying without maths a level?, predicted 4 A's at as. I would also say im fairly strong at maths

I was looking at Birmingham, York, Lancaster and some others
You guys are going to have less competition then us :frown:. But on a serious note beware some universities especially when applying to LSE you have to be on top of your game, Further Maths is highly recommended, they also ask for your UMS later on after giving an offer. Also as you can't sell yourself through an interview, your personal statement will matter very much. Another thing I would say is, not to write freakeconomics down as so many people in there PS, try being different read the economist, get relevant work experience.

You can't get all A's, a very good university for Economics would be KENT as you need ABB :s-smilie:.
Reply 233
Original post by Coolstorybrahh
hi guys, I was thinking about applying for economics next year, however is it worth me applying without maths a level?, predicted 4 A's at as. I would also say im fairly strong at maths

I was looking at Birmingham, York, Lancaster and some others

The best advice is to go onto all the universities' websites you are interested in and check the entry requirements. Some will have A-Level Maths, some won't.

Congratulations on getting all your offers! Do you mind sharing which ones you got into? :P

This is all very good advice, thanks alot! :biggrin:

Cambridge, UCL, LSE, Warwick, LSE (M+E)
Reply 235

Incredible. If I manage to get good AS results I plan on applying to those (although instead of LSE (M+E) I'd have a back-up like Queen Mary/SOAS
Reply 236

Very impressive, congratulations! Are you firming Cambridge? Although I feel I could happily firm any one of those.

What were your UMS scores like?
Original post by zxh800
Incredible. If I manage to get good AS results I plan on applying to those (although instead of LSE (M+E) I'd have a back-up like Queen Mary/SOAS

Thanks. Just remember how competitive the unis are. A back-up is a wise move :smile: Just keep working hard :wink:

Original post by Groat
Very impressive, congratulations! Are you firming Cambridge? Although I feel I could happily firm any one of those.

What were your UMS scores like?

Yep firming Cambridge.

I done 5 AS's excluding maths because I done it early but didn't cash it in.

Maths 587/600
FM 389/400 (+1 module)
History 197/200
Chemistry 283/300 (can't quite remember this one...)
Physics 285/300
Economics 200/200

Dropped Physics so I'm doing 4 A2's like most people :smile:

EDIT: got carried away with my '300's'. Economics/History is out of 200 :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

That's amazing! :biggrin: I am also curious as to which one you firmed, and as someone else said, I would happily accept an offer from either of those :colondollar:

Edit: never mind, I see you have chosen Cambridge. A wise move :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)

*faints*

Fantastic!

Latest

Trending

Trending