The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8780
Anyone know how long it takes for them to reply for the 1st choice? This is for MSc, not BS.
Original post by JuKaMy
not a bad choice to have to make :tongue: which one are you edging to atm?

Original post by FDR
flip a coin to decide? Chances are, you'll be wanting it to land on a certain side, and that way you'll know where you really want to go before it's even landed.

I don't think I'm edging either way - I want the coin to land on both sides simultaneously >_<

Original post by WalkerPrince
Has to be LSE.

Original post by a.t.123
LSE BRO!

Original post by Tateco
Because you're interested in postgraduate studies LSE is probably better, having said that it's not like you are going to get turned down from any postgraduate courses with a 1st from UCL being the reason!

A first is hardly guranteed :lol:

I know why everyone is saying LSE, but I can't personally decide...

I think I'll wait for the open day at LSE before I make any rash decisions. Thanks for the input everyone, very helpful :h:
offer from warwick for economics yesterday :smile:
Original post by Tigger2010
offer from warwick for economics yesterday :smile:

Watch out for someone called Neel. I know him. He's going there.
Reply 8784
Original post by JuKaMy
Yes it depends what you want to do, I just think (at least for what i want to do at first) that a whole year is overkill. Work experience (both paid - for uni expenses, and not - for career experience) can be gained in holidays, especially spring and summer breaks of which you will have at least 3.

I asked about the usefulness of the 'year in industry' during my couple weeks work experience last summer as i was deciding on courses to apply to. The trading floor manager who i spent some time sat next to said they are a waste of a year (in asset management and IB) because you simply can't do much when you have not graduated - at least not enough to productively fill a year, or even achieve what you could during a summer internship. The result is you end up doing jobs that any A level student of above standard capability could do (basic spreadsheets and research, filing, coffee - if they trust you to make it correctly :tongue:)

If that's not the stuff you want to go into then what i said doesn't apply to you and I'm sure you should know better than me whether the year will be useful for your career whatever that happens to be :smile: just not for me

Agreed on the disruption of the placement year

One massive advantage of longer internships that can't be ignored is that they are far more likely to offer you a job post graduation if you established solid relationships etc.
I'm on a year long Gap Year internship and only understood what the hell i was doing three months in! :P
still waiting for Warwick and LSE for Econ. Got rejected by Oxford, Durham and UCL though :/ Had pretty decent grades, don't know what went wrong.
still waiting for UCL, LSE, Warwick I'm starting to get a little impatient...
Original post by pkhelfried
still waiting for Warwick and LSE for Econ. Got rejected by Oxford, Durham and UCL though :/ Had pretty decent grades, don't know what went wrong.

Waiting on those two aswell!
But sorry to here man..
What were you grades like for gcse/as/a2? Could it be subject combination? ..
Did any give a reason?
Original post by perrytheplatypus
After the open day, I can't decide between LSE and UCL. They're both miles ahead of every other university on terms of research for Economics. Sigh...life was easier when I thought there was only one top university for that catagory :redface:

Who gives a toss about research at undergraduate level. You aren't learning groundbreaking new theories at undergraduate anyway. This is why people don't often choose places like UCL over Cambridge. Cambridge offers a better undergraduate education and more rep, independent of research quality.
Original post by stefl14
Who gives a toss about research at undergraduate level. You aren't learning groundbreaking new theories at undergraduate anyway. This is why people don't often choose places like UCL over Cambridge. Cambridge offers a better undergraduate education and more rep, independent of research quality.

It's not about the quality of the undergraduate degree - both courses are excellent. However, since I intend to do research, and will probably end up doing it at the university I did my undergraduate at, I may as well choose wisely and factor in the long term advantages.

But of course, your words ring true for the majority of the more sane people who want get into IB or something >_>
Do people realise Investment Banking isn't the only career economics undergrads can go into?
Reply 8791
Original post by wit-tank
One massive advantage of longer internships that can't be ignored is that they are far more likely to offer you a job post graduation if you established solid relationships etc.
I'm on a year long Gap Year internship and only understood what the hell i was doing three months in! :P

Yes, I can see how spending a year with the same group/department and getting to know people there would definitely help with increasing the chances of being offered a job. That would be great if you happen to get to a place you really like and the job is also what you wish to do post graduation.

And though that would be a positive for anyone, no matter what they want to do, I was talking specifically about it not being the definite positive (that it is in most job areas) in asset/fund management and IB. Also i was stating what no placement year will be best for me, and as i said, that may not apply to the person who it was in reply to, or anybody else - including you.

I'm in no way in disapproval of work experience, I intend to get as much as possible during holidays. As to your point on it taking three months (the approx length of the usual summer internship) to get warmed up - I'll just have to pray from now on that I'm a slightly faster picker upper than yourself :tongue:

Just out of interest, what programme are you on? BoE, KPMG, ...? And is it panning out to be what you want to do once you graduate?
Reply 8792
Original post by funkydee
Do people realise Investment Banking isn't the only career economics undergrads can go into?

:shock: What! something else other than investment banking!?
Original post by perrytheplatypus
It's not about the quality of the undergraduate degree - both courses are excellent. However, since I intend to do research, and will probably end up doing it at the university I did my undergraduate at, I may as well choose wisely and factor in the long term advantages.

But of course, your words ring true for the majority of the more sane people who want get into IB or something >_>

I, like you, am not one of them sane people! I am also considering research and I'm choosing Cambridge. I don't think it'll disadvantage me just because Cambridge hasn't got as much of a reputation in research. At the same time, you wouldn't be disadvantaged if you chose UCL over LSE or vice versa in terms of getting into research.
Reply 8794
Original post by pkhelfried

don't worry too much, i got rejected by durham in january and last week got an offer from lse
Reply 8795

Seems to me, in general, attitudes go like this:

State schooled economics applicant: "I hope to study economics as it is a subject I very much enjoy, and hope that it stretches me intellectually at University, and in addition from the knowledge and experience that I will gain, I hope to graduate with a degree that is recognised as being rigorous, and will help me find a career where I can apply the knowledge I have learnt for the greater good of society, but also a career that allows me to live a comfortable lifestyle."

Private School economics applicant: "[private school whiney voice] Ohhhh, I doooohh hhhoooope that daddy can get me a job in IB once I get my degreey. I couldn't staaaaand the possibliliteh that I would ever go into another line of work - just the prospect of meeting poor people makes me shudder"

Of course, I'm sure it's not always like that....
Reply 8796
Original post by FDR

State schooled economics applicant: "I hope to study economics as it is a subject I very much enjoy, and hope that it stretches me intellectually at University, and in addition from the knowledge and experience that I will gain, I hope to graduate with a degree that is recognised as being rigorous, and will help me find a career where I can apply the knowledge I have learnt for the greater good of society, but also a career that allows me to live a comfortable lifestyle."

Private School economics applicant: "[private school whiney voice] Ohhhh, I doooohh hhhoooope that daddy can get me a job in IB once I get my degreey. I couldn't staaaaand the possibliliteh that I would ever go into another line of work - just the prospect of meeting poor people makes me shudder"

Can't judge really, but this looks very stereotypical - never seen anyone like that.
Reply 8797
Original post by FDR

Just out of interest what school type would you guess I go to based on my posts in here?
Reply 8798
Original post by Dat Guy
Can't judge really, but this looks very stereotypical - never seen anyone like that.

Of course there is no-one like that. I was exaggerating. But if you go to open days, speaking to some, a few are not far off that attitude at all. At events like Target 2.0, a lot are like that.

Original post by Tateco
Just out of interest what school type would you guess I go to based on my posts in here?

Based on your posts themselves, I genuinely can't tell - based on this post alone, probably private school because you took offence to my comment.

PRSOM, I tried :h:

also :lol: do you know where you are? says it all really :smile:

xtranormal videos :holmes: curious

Original post by FDR

I never realised how entertaining this thread is until now. Also like the generalisation of said person being male. good one. :facepalm:

Original post by ihategeography
still waiting for UCL, LSE, Warwick I'm starting to get a little impatient...

:five: still waiting on LSE and Durham. Nice name, but how can you hate colouring!? :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending