The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by amir shah
i was thinking of a masters, because any science-related job i look at requires a Masters. hmmm.

? :confused:

do as much work experience with a firm so that at the end of it u get a job. Or simply keep doin work exp and plan ahead with the idea of a masters, u cant get a job then do masters.
Reply 41
Original post by Iqbal007
do as much work experience with a firm so that at the end of it u get a job. Or simply keep doin work exp and plan ahead with the idea of a masters, u cant get a job then do masters.

hmm. i should have done a sandwich course.

thanks for your help! :wink:
Reply 42
hmm. i should have done a sandwich course.

thanks for your help! :wink:

Yeah maybe you should have, like quite a lot of people get work through that, but masters isn't a bad option. Another thing you can do is move abroad such as Austrailia which requires qualified labour. Or you can try to get links into engineering companies, so they can help you. Like I have made a few connections at Barclays and Swiss Re.
Reply 43
Yeah maybe you should have, like quite a lot of people get work through that, but masters isn't a bad option. Another thing you can do is move abroad such as Austrailia which requires qualified labour. Or you can try to get links into engineering companies, so they can help you. Like I have made a few connections at Barclays and Swiss Re.

but what has engineering got to do with biomed? how would i fit into such companies? :smile:

thanks.
Reply 44
but what has engineering got to do with biomed? how would i fit into such companies? :smile:

thanks.

loool my bad i forgot i'm kinda tired sorry, maybe u should look abroad for medical labs in austrailia or even Asia where theres a growing economy. :smile: sorry
Reply 45
loool my bad i forgot i'm kinda tired sorry, maybe u should look abroad for medical labs in austrailia or even Asia where theres a growing economy. :smile: sorry

thats ok no worries :wink: I'm like that half the time too lol :biggrin:

I can't move abroad, away from the family (asian people :rolleyes:)

lol thanks!
av 60%, predicted 2:1

Are you serious? a 2:1 is excellent, you should apply to Universities outside of London for the GEP Medicine course and you really should get offers.
Reply 47
thats ok no worries :wink: I'm like that half the time too lol :biggrin:

I can't move abroad, away from the family (asian people :rolleyes:)

lol thanks!

looool im Asian i know how it feels, my mum tried telling the best uni for me is the one closet to my house which is london met :frown: .
Well just do loads of work experience and try getting an internship, preferribly paid :smile:. I'm trying to get some finance related internship and i'm in A2 :/
Reply 48
Original post by There will be Particles
Are you serious? a 2:1 is excellent, you should apply to Universities outside of London for the GEP Medicine course and you really should get offers.

are you being sarcastic? :redface:

a lot of people have 1st's which is kind of putting me off. I have applied postgrad, but have been rejected :mad: ( a levels and rubbish ukcat)...
Reply 49
looool im Asian i know how it feels, my mum tried telling the best uni for me is the one closet to my house which is london met :frown: .
Well just do loads of work experience and try getting an internship, preferribly paid :smile:. I'm trying to get some finance related internship and i'm in A2 :/

lol true. :redface:

yeah, think i will prob take a gap yr and try and get a job as a HCA or something, improve my UKCAT and re-apply. :wink:

thanks for all your help! :cool:

do you want to go into finance and accountancy? :wink:
Reply 50
lol true. :redface:

yeah, think i will prob take a gap yr and try and get a job as a HCA or something, improve my UKCAT and re-apply. :wink:

thanks for all your help! :cool:

do you want to go into finance and accountancy? :wink:

Yeah no problem.
Make sure internships are key.
Yeah i really do wanna go in, but as a Muslim I think i might just focus on Muslim markets, already got links to the city and they all put down my choice of uni :frown: which QM and City as i didnt get into lse, they told me do plently of work experience and internships, maybe masters as well.
are you being sarcastic? :redface:

a lot of people have 1st's which is kind of putting me off. I have applied postgrad, but have been rejected :mad: ( a levels and rubbish ukcat)...

No I'm not, try again and really work hard for the UKCAT :smile: good luck.

I agree with this guy. A 2:1 is excellent. For medicine, they consider a first and 2:1 equally.

As long as you meet the academic requirement, then that is all they care about. Then it is is down to ps, ukcat, etc.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 53

ok cool :cool:

thx for the advice :wink:
Reply 54
Original post by izz_1616

Banking: And if you want a complete career change, you could do something like banking! My best friend is doing it after biomed and absolutely loves it.

In summary, you can do pretty much anything!

How do you apply for a job in banking with a biomed degree??
Reply 55
Original post by Yinkx92
How do you apply for a job in banking with a biomed degree??

Apply directly to the graduate programmes, or retail bank positions/sign up to an agency. Going directly into things like investment banking may be slightly more difficult, as you wouldn’t be classed as an “experienced hire”, as you may not have previous experience of working in a financial/corporate environment. Some graduate programmes may specify you need a certain degree/background, but some take graduates of any discipline. However, I'm pretty sure that for 2011 entry, the graduate programme recruitment has finished....I'd double check that though on the banks websites.
Reply 56
Hi everyone,

I just joined this website in order to get some help from all you good people.

I have graduated with a Biomedical Science degree at 2.1. However, i really want to do Medicine but i can't afford it.

I am really stuck as what to do from now on. I believe that whatever i choose to do now, i have to stick with it for the rest of my life.

Keeping in mind that i wanted to become a doctor, could you please inform me of any careers that i can do which are very much similar to Medicine - earning around £40,000 at start.

Or can i do a masters, where i maybe able to carry out similar duties to a doctor.

The bottom line is that i want to do hospital based work, working with patients etc. But NOT A NURSE.

PLEASSSEEEE HELP ME?!!?
medicine doesnt start at £40,000.

Research?....not very much patient contact.

If you want to do a patient related career you're gonna have to go back to uni to study for something like Physiotherapy, physchology, nursing, optometry...

Or apply for graduate entry medicine which is not as expensive as you get funded by the NHS.
Reply 58
Thanks LewDacris.

Graduate entry medicine is really competitive...i'v already been rejected for this year.

Now, i'm looking for a patient related career that doesn't involve having Medicine as a background. This is going to sound so stupid, but i do not have another 4 years or the money to go for Medicine. I'm really struggling, i know. But i hope you see my situation.

I'm trying to look at all the options.

Really appreciate your message though.
i know it's tough, but you'll find a career for you.

NHS Management?

I also did biomed degree btw.

GOOD LUCK! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending