The Student Room Group

Maintenance loans don't even cover accommodation costs?!

So I'm starting to apply for accommodation and loans for next year.

However, the maintenance loan I'm entitled to won't even cover my accommodation costs.

Is anyone/has anyone been in the same situation?

I'm so confused! :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ApplePi

However, the maintenance loan I'm entitled to won't even cover my accommodation costs.

I think this is fairly common. Firstly, it could be that your accommodation costs are really high, how much is it? Secondly, the amount of maintenance loan you get depends on parental income, so that may be the reason. It sucks really...
I am entitled to the minimum loan and like you it wont even cover my rent.

Luckily for me my parents are helping out but I do think it's unfair that people should be put in that situation just because of their parents wages.

I mean come on it's a loan, we're going to pay it back ? So why not let everyone get the full loan then bursaries can be awarded based on household income.
Reply 3
Unfortunately as above, people who aren't entitled to the grants or bursaries often find themselves in this situation. I would be too but fortunately I live at home and can commute to my place of study in 10 minutes. If your parents can't support you then you have no choice but to get a part time job, sorry.
Reply 4
Original post by TheFlyingDutchman
I am entitled to the minimum loan and like you it wont even cover my rent.

Luckily for me my parents are helping out but I do think it's unfair that people should be put in that situation just because of their parents wages.

I mean come on it's a loan, we're going to pay it back ? So why not let everyone get the full loan then bursaries can be awarded based on household income.

Because they expect your parents to help out.

After taxing them for 30 odd years.
Reply 5
My SLC loan is £2324 and I just hope that I get a reasonable amount of income assessed NHS bursary. Accommodation at my insurance choice is going to cost about £5800 as my course is nearly the full year. A 39 week contract isn't long enough. We can't get part time work as our work placements don't allow it. The joys of being a nurse. :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by MovingOn
Unfortunately as above, people who aren't entitled to the grants or bursaries often find themselves in this situation. I would be too but fortunately I live at home and can commute to my place of study in 10 minutes. If your parents can't support you then you have no choice but to get a part time job, sorry.

For first year my timetable is basically full, so this would be difficult. My parents have agreed to help out so hopefully it should be ok...
Reply 7
Original post by glf2110
My SLC loan is £2324 and I just hope that I get a reasonable amount of income assessed NHS bursary. Accommodation at my insurance choice is going to cost about £5800 as my course is nearly the full year. A 39 week contract isn't long enough. We can't get part time work as our work placements don't allow it. The joys of being a nurse. :frown:

I'm doing Pharmacy so I won't have time for a part-time job either.

At least you can get NHS Bursaries - not fair :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by ApplePi

I know the feeling. I'm in the same situation as you OP. Unfortunately my mum will have to struggle to pay for my accommodation then I 'll use the loan for everything else. Hopefully the rest of my family will chip in too as they usually do but not everyone will be this lucky.
Reply 9
I'm getting the minimum maintenance loan, which unsurprisingly doesn't cover my costs, so its a case of saving up... LOTS.
Reply 10
I am in the same boat as you but fortunately my parents have agreed to pay £700 to cover my accommodation costs but that means that I'll have no other choice but to get a part time job to feed myself.
Reply 11
Original post by ApplePi

I will be doing Pharmacy as well, what are your firm/insurance choices?
Reply 12
Original post by mkb230
I will be doing Pharmacy as well, what are your firm/insurance choices?

Bath and Reading, you?
Reply 13
Original post by ApplePi

True but its not like the old NHS bursary for diploma students who got a hell of lot more :frown:
My mum doesn't earn mega bucks and I have a brother at uni who needs occasional financial help too. Looks like it's beans on toast for 4 years. :s-smilie:
work a hell of alot over summer.
i however will be going into my second year next year, my rent is going up, due to not being in halls anymore, and i got a really good deal this year, i reckon my loan will eihter stay the same, or go down. so my loan will only JUST cover accommodation. i dont think i have a job over summer, so im gonna have to apply for job seekers to be able to get some form of cash.

and im gonna have to find a part time job for first semester, cos in second semester in on full time placement...

other than that, hello overdraft [=

once your at uni youll find ways of coping easily, everyone else has managed...
Reply 15
Original post by ApplePi
Bath and Reading, you?

DMU and Medway
Original post by PonchoKid
work a hell of alot over summer.
i however will be going into my second year next year, my rent is going up, due to not being in halls anymore, and i got a really good deal this year, i reckon my loan will eihter stay the same, or go down. so my loan will only JUST cover accommodation. i dont think i have a job over summer, so im gonna have to apply for job seekers to be able to get some form of cash.

and im gonna have to find a part time job for first semester, cos in second semester in on full time placement...

other than that, hello overdraft [=

once your at uni youll find ways of coping easily, everyone else has managed...

You can't get job seekers allowance as you are in full-time education.
Original post by Billydodger
You can't get job seekers allowance as you are in full-time education.

im sure i read somewhere over summer you can, as you dont get any from of income over summer if you have no job...

Jobseeker's Allowance
Full-time students
If you’re studying full time, you may be able to claim Jobseeker's Allowance during the summer holiday if:
you're a lone parent

you have a partner who is also a full-time student, and one or both of you is responsible for a child or young person, and

you’re available for and actively seeking work

You may also be able to claim if you’re waiting to go back to a course, having taken approved time out for a period of up to one year because of an illness or caring responsibility that has now come to an end.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10034876

i will be available for, and actively seeking work... just cos ill be claiming doesnt mean i wont be looking for a job, iv never applied for job seekers before, iv worked since i was like 15... but ill need some cash...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by TheFlyingDutchman

The people who get grants don't get the full loan, so do you mean that the grants system should be abolished in favour of a higher maintenance loan? Bursaries, at most places, are dependent on household income anyway, but there are some that are downright stupid - a lady from Cambridge told my college that there is a grant for those with a Catholic father and an Anglican mother and if they haven't/can't decide which religion to follow, then they get like £50 or £100 a year until they do decide. I wish I was making this up but this is Cambridge - their endowment is like billions, so it wouldn't surprise me that they are throwing money around like this.
Reply 19
Original post by PonchoKid
im sure i read somewhere over summer you can, as you dont get any from of income over summer if you have no job...

Jobseeker's Allowance
Full-time students
If you’re studying full time, you may be able to claim Jobseeker's Allowance during the summer holiday if:
you're a lone parent

you have a partner who is also a full-time student, and one or both of you is responsible for a child or young person, and

you’re available for and actively seeking work

You may also be able to claim if you’re waiting to go back to a course, having taken approved time out for a period of up to one year because of an illness or caring responsibility that has now come to an end.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10034876

i will be available for, and actively seeking work... just cos ill be claiming doesnt mean i wont be looking for a job, iv never applied for job seekers before, iv worked since i was like 15... but ill need some cash...

I think that as you will still be registered as a student (even though it's the summer hols) you can't claim job seekers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending