The Student Room Group

What do I need for an A* in Psychology?

I got a B at AS level.

I got 100% in my January exam, worth 50% of the total grade.

I've heard you need to average 90% in A2 Level and what you got in AS does not matter, as long as overall your grade is an A. Meaning I need 80% in my next exam.

I'm with the AQA board, is this right?
Reply 1
Not quite, your AS does matter as you need to qualify for an A overall (320 UMS) and then achieve 90%+ in your A2 modules, but the 100 you got in Jan means that the first criteria will be met if you achieve 80% in your last unit, which your right in saying will mean you'll get the A*.

In short, get 80%+ next unit and you've got an A*.
Reply 2
Original post by Noodlzzz
Not quite, your AS does matter as you need to qualify for an A overall (320 UMS) and then achieve 90%+ in your A2 modules, but the 100 you got in Jan means that the first criteria will be met if you achieve 80% in your last unit, which your right in saying will mean you'll get the A*.

In short, get 80%+ next unit and you've got an A*.

Thanks!
Reply 3
For an A*, you need to have an A overall at AS and 90% or above in each of your A2 modules. T
Reply 4
Original post by Jonerez
For an A*, you need to have an A overall at AS and 90% or above in each of your A2 modules. T

I need 80% in my next exam for an A* star then. That's almost guaranteed for me :biggrin:
Reply 5
Er, you also need an A at AS....
Reply 6
Original post by KingMessi
Er, you also need an A at AS....

You need your final grade to be an A overall.
Reply 7
Original post by RobertWhite
You need your final grade to be an A overall.

Yeah, sorry, I just checked. My bad...
Reply 8
Original post by KingMessi
Yeah, sorry, I just checked. My bad...

No worries :smile:
Reply 9
Noo Rob, let me explain this haha. It's a stupid system they have, but to get an A* overall you need:

The A at as
Then, in both of your A2 modules, you need 90% or above. Sadly, even if you get 100% and 80% at A2, you will not average at the A*.

It's a stupid system, even though your UMS would put you at the ums for an A*, you will still be awarded an A because you don't have 90% in your final exam.

I suggest you resit an A/S module to get an A overall at AS and then work hard to get your 90% in the final unit! Good luck mate :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Jonerez
Noo Rob, let me explain this haha. It's a stupid system they have, but to get an A* overall you need:

The A at as
Then, in both of your A2 modules, you need 90% or above. Sadly, even if you get 100% and 80% at A2, you will not average at the A*.

It's a stupid system, even though your UMS would put you at the ums for an A*, you will still be awarded an A because you don't have 90% in your final exam.

I suggest you resit an A/S module to get an A overall at AS and then work hard to get your 90% in the final unit! Good luck mate :smile:

Dude, your wrong. It's an A overall, not at AS AND it's 90% overall at A2, not each unit.

He does only need 80% in the next exam.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by RobertWhite
I got a B at AS level.

I got 100% in my January exam, worth 50% of the total grade.

I've heard you need to average 90% in A2 Level and what you got in AS does not matter, as long as overall your grade is an A. Meaning I need 80% in my next exam.

I'm with the AQA board, is this right?

A bit off topic but how did you achieve your B at AS? I'm struggling with AS Psychology to say the least, far too much information to remember.
Reply 12
you need a brain to get A overall
Reply 13
Original post by Jonerez

The A at as

My teacher told me. I think you may be wrong.
Reply 14
Original post by Tom78
A bit off topic but how did you achieve your B at AS? I'm struggling with AS Psychology to say the least, far too much information to remember.

Someone else asked me this question, my reply was:

As I offered ideas I gave the relevant name and research to go with it. For example, when I talked about the biological explanations for schizophrenia I mentioned Gottesman and his research on MZ and DZ twins. I then wrote about what this implied, stated the research was reductionist as if schizophrenia was only genetics then there would be a 100% concordance rate among MZ twins who share 100% of their genes. I then would offer an approach that looked at the environment, such as Boydells research into the degree of inequality in deprived areas in London. At the end I would usually say the diathesis-stress approach is the best to take as it takes into account both genetics and the environment, giving a more multi-dimensional approach.

I basically did this kind of evaluative answering on every question, mentioning names as and when appropriate.

You need to compare and contrast the theories. Critically assess them. I used the method of loci to remember names, I remembered around 70 with their research. Search what it is if you're not familiar with it, it really works.
Reply 15
Original post by Noodlzzz
Dude, your wrong. It's an A overall, not at AS AND it's 90% overall at A2, not each unit.

He does only need 80% in the next exam.

"What mark do you need for an A*?

To get an A*, you must meet the following two requirements:

80% UMS overall (i.e. the current requirements for an A).
90% UMS overall in the A2 units.
That's all there is to it. You don't get an A* for 90% overall. Only the A2 units (i.e. the units normally taken in Year 13) count towards the award of an A*. Even if you get 100% in your AS units, 89% in your A2 ones isn't enough for an A*. Similarly, you don't need to get an A at AS to get an A* at A2 if you get 90% in the A2 units, and assuming your A2 marks are high enough to pull your AS marks to an A grade overall" - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A-star_grades_at_A-level

I rest my case. I admit that i was wrong about the A as a/s (that's what i was told by my college, liars ! :P), however, see A2.
Reply 16
Original post by Jonerez

That's all there is to it. You don't get an A* for 90% overall. Only the A2 units (i.e. the units normally taken in Year 13) count towards the award of an A*. Even if you get 100% in your AS units, 89% in your A2 ones isn't enough for an A*. Similarly, you don't need to get an A at AS to get an A* at A2 if you get 90% in the A2 units, and assuming your A2 marks are high enough to pull your AS marks to an A grade overall" - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A-star_grades_at_A-level

I rest my case. I admit that i was wrong about the A as a/s (that's what i was told by my college, liars ! :P), however, see A2.

This is what we have been saying. :pinch:
Reply 17
Original post by Jonerez

Look at what I said, I said 90% at A2, not overall.

The guy got 100% in his 1st A2 unit, therefore only needs 80% in his second A2 unit to get 90% overall in his A2 and qualify for 80% overall inc. AS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending