The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

BA Graphic Design - Central Saint Martins or Chelsea?

Hi Everyone

I am sure this has been discussed before but I am really torn between these two colleges. I have been accepted by both to do a BA in Graphic Design but I am unsure about which one to go for- I know CSM is famous for Fashion and Chelsea for Fine Art, so I assume they are both on a pretty even keel for GD.

Chelsea has a stunning campus, really beautiful and in a fantastic location. CSM are moving to Kings Cross this summer and even if the campus is more or less complete, will still be in an area where a lot of construction is going on for the next few years. Part of me is worried CSM's reputation could change after the move, but they obviously have a more renowned reputation then Chelsea's. I won't be able to see CSM's new campus or take in the new place until September, which is a bit of a disadvantage. Does anyone have any advice/info on the quality of the courses at these colleges? And comparisons or opinions would be helpful.

Cheers
Reply 1
Original post by Sats
Hi Everyone

I am sure this has been discussed before but I am really torn between these two colleges. I have been accepted by both to do a BA in Graphic Design but I am unsure about which one to go for- I know CSM is famous for Fashion and Chelsea for Fine Art, so I assume they are both on a pretty even keel for GD.

Chelsea has a stunning campus, really beautiful and in a fantastic location. CSM are moving to Kings Cross this summer and even if the campus is more or less complete, will still be in an area where a lot of construction is going on for the next few years. Part of me is worried CSM's reputation could change after the move, but they obviously have a more renowned reputation then Chelsea's. I won't be able to see CSM's new campus or take in the new place until September, which is a bit of a disadvantage. Does anyone have any advice/info on the quality of the courses at these colleges? And comparisons or opinions would be helpful.

Cheers

Hi Sats, expect my response later. I'm currently at work. :smile:
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Thats so strange, I just messaged you. Thank you! I have seen on previous threads you seem to know the colleges quite well. Look forward to hearing from you.
Reply 3
Original post by Sats
Thats so strange, I just messaged you. Thank you! I have seen on previous threads you seem to know the colleges quite well. Look forward to hearing from you.

Yeah, that is quite the coincidence. :tongue: I've decided to respond here because it may prove useful for those with a similar inquiry.

As for my knowledge, it's a combination of studying at UAL/CSM and because I used to visit the annual degree shows each year on behalf of the design agency I'm at for graduate recruitment.

Original post by Sats

Firstly, congratulations on gaining acceptance to both. They're equally competitive, so much so that I was under the impression that you could only apply to one of them through Route B (unless the UCAS system and/or UAL's application policy has changed, which it probably has).

In terms of their "prestige", while CSM has developed this incomparable reputation worldwide, arguably unjustly (which is all the more prevalent amongst the unacquainted), Chelsea has a distinguished history in its own right. If I'm honest, while the reputation is worth taking into account, particularly abroad, ultimately the two colleges are recognised by the industry you're presumably aspiring to enter. It definitely shouldn't determine your choice alone. If anything, it's the least important factor to consider, and both are under the same University umbrella.

For graphic design, the key difference you should be looking at is class size. CSM's course has easily over 150+ students, verging on 200 (and this was back in 08, it wouldn't surprise me if it's even more now). Conversely, Chelsea has a much smaller class of around 50. This will result in more one to one tuition time and an opportunity to work more closely with those in your course. I had a few friends on the Chelsea course and you could definitely see the sense of community in their class. Although we had the opportunity to befriend each other at CSM, the sheer size of the course prevented us from having the same bond that those at Chelsea had.

Content wise, it was clear that the course director at Chelsea placed a much larger emphasis on vocational training and preparation for the industry. The wide majority of the work showcased at the degree show was client led. Practically every student worked with a real client and accordingly the work produced was very commercially orientated. On the other hand, while there was a preparation for the industry at CSM, the emphasis was far less in favour of experimentation and exploration of graphic design. The work wasn't necessarily commercial, but more conceptually led. Arguably, the work was more innovative, in this regard, but arguably less employable.

Looking at the D&AD Student Awards, CSM is by far the biggest winner, but equally Chelsea, given the size of its course, fares well each year as well.

Cheers

Chelsea's Millbank campus is easily the nicest amongst the UAL colleges and arguably one of in the country to study at, certainly in terms of location (alongside the River Thames next to the Tate with the Houses of Parliament a few moments away)... There has been complaints regarding the studio sizes, which is admittedly less of an issue for graphic design students, and that the photography studio (at the time at least) only offered digital facilities, not traditional. Of course, you're more than welcome to use the facilities at the other colleges if this will pose a problem for you.

While it's unfortunate that CSM is moving away from its original campuses this year, if only out of respect for its heritage, the new standalone complex at King's Cross looks absolutely amazing from what I've seen. The area is undergoing redevelopment, as you say, but I don't personally believe this will detract from your experience of using the complex itself. I'm assuming you've seen the pictures?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/image_galleries/granary_csm_gallery.shtml

I know where you're coming from, though, but King's Cross is centrally located, which is definitely a bonus.

I could write a lot more, but unfortunately I don't have any more time. If you would like a more detailed analysis, I'll be more than happy to post again at a later date. Hopefully, what I've posted so far will be of some use. :smile:
Reply 4
Sorry to butt in, but where you say that student can use the facilities at other colleges, does that include things like the printing studios at LCC, or is it just libraries?
Reply 5
Original post by r_mcdonald
Sorry to butt in, but where you say that student can use the facilities at other colleges, does that include things like the printing studios at LCC, or is it just libraries?

Everything, including the reprographics. :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you so much for you detailed reply. Admittedly, I still have not chosen. I am finding this decision extremely difficult for some reason.

For me, I really just want to try and have as many job opportunities as possible (if any) upon leaving University. This is really important to me - and for obvious reasons has made it difficult to choose. CSM looks great on a CV, but Chelsea work closely with companies/clients and live briefs. -sigh- I visited Chelsea again last week to have a chat with a course leader and there were lots of students in the canteen waiting to be interviewed for places on the BA. Some of them were rejected by CSM and seemed to think it was rediculous that I am having so much trouble choosing. I do feel like a bit of a numpty.
Reply 7
Whilst you do stand at a disadvantage not having your foundation, passion for the subject and most importantly a knowledge about graphic design can get you far. I would recommend you explain why specifically you are interested in design as a career, for explain your love of type or layout. Ive applied to St Martins and Chelsea on the back of freelancing then studying an HND in Vis Comm, so I'm hoping I get in based on that. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending