The Student Room Group

Clothing advice [Mens]

Basically, I have a lack of fashionsense. Maybe I lack a fashion gene or something. I rarely buy new clothes, and so I'm not very 'up to date' on the whole fashion scene. I don't fall into any sub-genre of fashion (emo, scene etc); however I do tend to dress in neutral colour tones.

Basically I need some directions. With casual clothign in mind: Which stores are popular? Which should I avoid?

What type of jeans are most popular? I'm trying to become like everyone else, you see. I'm tired of feeling like I stand out too much.
Don't copy everyone else, just be your own person :smile:
Reply 2
Wear what you like and find comfortable. I doubt you stand out too much if you "tend to dress in neutral colour tones."
Reply 3
Thanks. But I need some practical advice. I know about the whole self-confidence thing; but I nonetheless need to update my fashion definitions! I update my anti-virus everyday. I wouldn't feel very secure if I was using virus definitions from 5 years ago. Similarly, I wouldn't (and don't) feel very secure using a dress sense that I aquired 5 years ago... T-shirts and jeans--that's about as far as my fashion knowledge goes. But then when I go on websites, there's loads of variations on types of jeans, and t-shirts...
Reply 4
Original post by Dreamseeker
Thanks. But I need some practical advice. I know about the whole self-confidence thing; but I nonetheless need to update my fashion definitions! I update my anti-virus everyday. I wouldn't feel very secure if I was using virus definitions from 5 years ago. Similarly, I wouldn't (and don't) feel very secure using a dress sense that I aquired 5 years ago... T-shirts and jeans--that's about as far as my fashion knowledge goes. But then when I go on websites, there's loads of variations on types of jeans, and t-shirts...

The reason they have all that variation is so that everyone can find something they like! Personally I like dark slim jeans and full print tees, other people like other things.
Reply 5
You become 'fashionable' by wearing clothes that you like, confidently. Not by copying everyone else.
Reply 6
This is way too general. We can't just create a sense of style for you. It might work better if you try to learn about specific items. Eg. for jeans, try reading stuff like this: http://www.denimology.com/2008/08/raw_denim.php. That mentions concepts like "raw" and "selvedge" denim. If you don't know what those are, look them up on that site or wikipedia or whatever - that's how you get started. Also, if you just want a general idea of the sort of things most people think look good, have a look at the "What are you wearing today" thread in the "Streetwear and Denim" (not exactly my cup of tea, but it's probably what you need) subforum on www.styleforum.net.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Be yourself. Don't copy everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest