The Student Room Group

Hi, im new and not even a student yet!

Hi, Im Tom I am 21 and I am seriously considering going to university to study to become a Physiotherapist.

I will need to do a one year access course at my local college first though.

My main question is...

Will universities take me if I dont have a levels and just an access course?

Plus I dont have an A- C in science, and I have recently just improved my maths to a level 2 (A-C) equivalent. ( i was silly and messed about at school which in hindsight i regret alot now! but meh, you live and learn!)

if i do really well on the access course would a uni still take me on?

sorry if this seems like a silly question
Welcome to TSR!
:tsr:

Your entry to university will really depend on the which uni you apply to, perhaps you should check various university websites of head over to the admissions or course forums to ask people who may have been in a similar situation as yourself

P.S: there's nothing stopping you redoing your gcse's or a-levels!
Reply 2
Of course they do thats then whole point of access courses
Hey tom. You sound to be in a similar situation as myself. I'm 21 and currently on the access course studying my sciences, preparing for a career in the NHS too (already been working in the NHS for 8 years doing less satisfying jobs, lets say). I had tried to get into uni for 2 years previously and failed. The access course has allowed me to finally get those offers =D

As I'm sure you're aware, getting into university to take a course in physiotherapy is extremely difficult. There's a lot of competition. The important thing is that you show excessive enthusiasm for the career, get plenty of (and I mean, as much as you can here...) experience and display maturity in your personal statement and when you go for interview. If you're in full time work, perhaps take a quick course in basic first aid. And definitely, at some point, get in contact with your local hospital and apply to do a week of work experience. It will help you worlds with your interview, background knowledge and help you decide for certain that a career in physiotherapy is something you definitely want to do.

To answer your question; you wont need A-levels. I didn't have any (just a Btech Nat Diploma after GCSE's), the subjects you study in the access course will be counted as level 3 grades.

Physiotherapy is an extremely popular course and there will be very tough competition, but you have to be persistent. Keep trying, pestering them and don't give up. Took me 3 years of applying to university and it was the access course that finally cracked it =D

*just as a side note, I'm doing Radiography.

Good luck and study hard!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks for the speedy replies. The main reason I ask is because I have looked on listings for what is needed and it says you have to have 5 gcse at A-C in English, maths and science. I have 7 A-C grades but I only got D I'd science and maths ( but I'm a level 2 now)

Are uni requirments set in stone?

Also, retaking my GCSEs and doing the A levels is not something I want to do if I can help it! :smile: cause if I did that I'd be pretty much 30 by the time I'm all done! Haha

I'm heading down to my local college tomorrow to get more info and there is a physio close to me, I'll ask if I can do some volunteering , even if it's only wearing a pinny making tea or pushing a broom or Hoover around :P
Reply 5
Original post by tomsweetser
Hi, Im Tom I am 21 and I am seriously considering going to university to study to become a Physiotherapist.

My main question is...

Plus I dont have an A- C in science, and I have recently just improved my maths to a level 2 (A-C) equivalent. ( i was silly and messed about at school which in hindsight i regret alot now! but meh, you live and learn!)

Ooh! Yay :biggrin: Welcome. Glad you came, because I have advice.... :biggrin:

Right. An access course is the best way to go, but because your GCSEs don't meet the requirements, you will need to either choose one which incorporates maths (and English?) or do it/them along side the access course. (Your college should be able to advise you on this).

You say you have got the maths level 2... I'm a bit worried about this because a lot of my friends on the access course I'm on at the moment have got a similar thing and the bad news is that they've found out the hard way that a lot of unis just don't recognise/respect it. :frown: I'm afraid redoing the GCSE/having maths units on the access course seems like the best option..

Choosing the right access course: I can't stress enough how important it is to do a QAA (nationally recognised - be careful of the 'local courses for local unis') approved access to science course or at least make sure that the modules are scientific enough! This course should also make up for the lack of high GCSE grades in science. However, if you do an access to health course, email/telephone/kick the college tutors until they give you an exact breakdown of a) the modules b) what level they are at (2 or 3) and C) how many credits are attached to them. You will need at very least 15 credits (out of 60) in biology/human biology type modules.

Sorry for sounding melodramatic, but you will understand if you read my posts in this thread from page 47-49:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1381180&page=47

Get some work experience, not only will it help you to decide whether or not you want to do the job, but it is also pretty much a necessity when applying. I recommend a small 'local' hospital as they are easier to get placements at. At the end of the work experience get a reference from the physio team leader. So many people fake their work experience, being able to prove what you did is a bonus. The admissions tutors want to see what you've learned from your work experience on your ps, not just that you've done it, too.

Apply to uni early. Apply to uni early. :wink: Sorry for the repetition, but if I had bothered to heed this advice, I might be in a better position now. I have good grades and tons of experience and I applied pretty late. I didn't get in to the course I wanted. Someone I know had 3 Bs at As, no work experience to speak of and got an offer. FML! :wink:

If you want to know anything else about access courses/ the admissions procedure I would be happy to help. I'm sure that others on the forum I linked you to wouldn't mind either.

Edit: Sorry, I seem to have written you an essay..... got a bit carried away...... :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by SeaJay
Ooh! Yay :biggrin: Welcome. Glad you came, because I have advice.... :biggrin:

Right. An access course is the best way to go, but because your GCSEs don't meet the requirements, you will need to either choose one which incorporates maths (and English?) or do it/them along side the access course. (Your college should be able to advise you on this).

You say you have got the maths level 2... I'm a bit worried about this because a lot of my friends on the access course I'm on at the moment have got a similar thing and the bad news is that they've found out the hard way that a lot of unis just don't recognise/respect it. :frown: I'm afraid redoing the GCSE/having maths units on the access course seems like the best option..

Choosing the right access course: I can't stress enough how important it is to do a QAA (nationally recognised - be careful of the 'local courses for local unis') approved access to science course or at least make sure that the modules are scientific enough! This course should also make up for the lack of high GCSE grades in science. However, if you do an access to health course, email/telephone/kick the college tutors until they give you an exact breakdown of a) the modules b) what level they are at (2 or 3) and C) how many credits are attached to them. You will need at very least 15 credits (out of 60) in biology/human biology type modules.

Hey :smile: thanks for the reply, very informative.

the Access course at my local college is called...

Access Diploma to nursing, midwifery and medically allied professions.

part of the course is numercay and IT and there is human biology, sociaology and psychology.

i think it might be a very good course to do, especialy if it includes the maths i could do with improving to level 3

and i live a short bike ride away from the Luton and dunstable hospital, so hopefully no problem getting work experience :biggrin:

My main question is...

look at uni's you're interested in them and email the admissions department
asking about your specific qualifications and whether or not these would be acceptable, i'm sure some uni's would take it, you just want to make sure you're applying to the right places, i would email now so you know what you're looking at for september and when admissions department aren't SO overloaded with emails
Reply 8
Original post by Alison1992

Original post by Alison1992
look at uni's you're interested in them and email the admissions department
asking about your specific qualifications and whether or not these would be acceptable, i'm sure some uni's would take it, you just want to make sure you're applying to the right places, i would email now so you know what you're looking at for september and when admissions department aren't SO overloaded with emails

Hi, i still need to do an access course, so i will have to wait till septeber before i can even start college, but i will take your advice when im in college and search about early.

ill be totaly honest and admit, i dont have a clue where to start or what to look for apart from physiotherapy universities,
im clueless about tuition fees, loans, accomodation!
haha, im a bit green, seeing as ive always lived at home and been lucky enough not to have to worry about any of that up untill now :tongue:
Reply 9
Hi, i still need to do an access course, so i will have to wait till septeber before i can even start college, but i will take your advice when im in college and search about early.

ill be totaly honest and admit, i dont have a clue where to start or what to look for apart from physiotherapy universities,
im clueless about tuition fees, loans, accomodation!
haha, im a bit green, seeing as ive always lived at home and been lucky enough not to have to worry about any of that up untill now :tongue:

without wanting to snub you, www.ucas.ac.uk will be really helpful
course search physiotherapy and it will list all the uni's that do it
from there you can look where you fancy and then see about entry requirements
Reply 11
Thanks alot for the website.
i feel rather silly having overlooked that search engine on the website.

i did look online and find out about some universities, before i posted the question. but alot of them said you have to have 5 A-C GCSEs and a certain number of UCAS.

now me being totaly unfamiliar with what UCAS is and pretty much anything to do with uni, i thought id ask about it and maybe get it sumed up in as few paragraphs as possible, just so i can maybe keep from information overload! :biggrin:
Reply 12
Hey :smile: thanks for the reply, very informative.

the Access course at my local college is called...

Access Diploma to nursing, midwifery and medically allied professions.

part of the course is numercay and IT and there is human biology, sociaology and psychology.

i think it might be a very good course to do, especialy if it includes the maths i could do with improving to level 3

and i live a short bike ride away from the Luton and dunstable hospital, so hopefully no problem getting work experience :biggrin:

That course sounds ok, but as I said, do bully them for a breakdown of the modules just in case. You don't want to be in the same boat I was/am in..... Also, when you have a breakdown of the modules, email the unis you are interested in with this breakdown to make sure it is ok. I know it sounds rather involved, but trust me: it will save you a lot of grief in the long run!

Also go here and have a look around:

http://www.csp.org.uk/

And here is a list of all the unis which do it, ranging from KCL - (the most respected according to the league tables) to UEL, although it is a professional qualification, so many would say it doesn't really matter where you do it! :smile:

http://www.csp.org.uk/professional-union/careers-development/career-physiotherapy/physiotherapy-degrees
Original post by SeaJay
That course sounds ok, but as I said, do bully them for a breakdown of the modules just in case. You don't want to be in the same boat I was/am in..... Also, when you have a breakdown of the modules, email the unis you are interested in with this breakdown to make sure it is ok. I know it sounds rather involved, but trust me: it will save you a lot of grief in the long run!

Also go here and have a look around:

http://www.csp.org.uk/

And here is a list of all the unis which do it, ranging from KCL - (the most respected according to the league tables) to UEL, although it is a professional qualification, so many would say it doesn't really matter where you do it! :smile:

http://www.csp.org.uk/professional-union/careers-development/career-physiotherapy/physiotherapy-degrees

It's good to look at league tables (and uni websites) to see graduate employment figures/'good degree' figures, etc. though. :smile:

And obviously go somewhere where you like the uni and the course and feel you'll be challenged by it (unless all physio courses are exactly the same?). :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by angelmxxx
It's good to look at league tables (and uni websites) to see graduate employment figures/'good degree' figures, etc. though. :smile:

And obviously go somewhere where you like the uni and the course and feel you'll be challenged by it (unless all physio courses are exactly the same?). :smile:

Yep, good points! All the unis will offer different modules and different placement options; some in the first year - some not and some during the holidays :eek: some not :smile:

You may need to email/ ring them for this kind of info though!

OH - Tom, I almost forgot - silly me: Find out how many places each uni is offering and make sure you apply to at least a couple which have lots of places!!!!!

If I had known that UEA only had 20 places this year, I may not have applied there as they got around 650 applicants.... :bricks: (I felt that bit of news needed an elaborate smiley.....):rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by SeaJay
Yep, good points! All the unis will offer different modules and different placement options; some in the first year - some not and some during the holidays :eek: some not :smile:

You may need to email/ ring them for this kind of info though!

OH - Tom, I almost forgot - silly me: Find out how many places each uni is offering and make sure you apply to at least a couple which have lots of places!!!!!

If I had known that UEA only had 20 places this year, I may not have applied there as they got around 650 applicants.... :bricks: (I felt that bit of news needed an elaborate smiley.....):rolleyes:

But they don't only give out 20 offers! Depending on what the conversion rate is (how many people with offers firm/insurance them), they could give out anywhere between 40 and 100+ offers. Still a 6.5:1 ratio, but not everyone will have the grades/experience/etc.

If unis are offering different modules then some courses may be preferred over others, so it's definitely a good idea to check the employment figures (try and find out how many go into physio jobs rather than just average starting salary, as average salary includes people working in supermarkets/cafes/etc!).

Also when you are doing work experience, try and get a slot with HR and ask them about where most of their graduate physios come from, their opinions on universities, etc. Obviously don't rely on what they say, but it's useful to get as many opinions as possible.
By the time you've done all the forms, completed your access course and hopefully got a place at uni, you will live to hate the word 'UCAS'.

*Shudder* =(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending