The Student Room Group

Second year bsc economics?

Hey guys
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Well bud, i think that by eating less onions, you'll find it easier to concentrate on the economics. It is scientifically proven that eating more onions lowers your grades.
So my advice would be to cut down on the onions plus dont pull girls with AIDS you jamstone x
Reply 2
Original post by NiallShukla
I heard it gets really mathmatical and far less theory based, especially 3rd year?

this is a common misperception. people think because there it's more maths, that there is less 'theory'. but economic theory is not what you are used to from a level where you qualitatively argue a case. if you read any academic paper in theory, it will be full of maths.
Reply 3
Original post by NiallShukla
Hey guys, does anyone know how diffrent second year of economics is @ Uni of southampton? or at any uni with Bsc course?

I heard it gets really mathmatical and far less theory based, especially 3rd year? I'm doing a joint honous with philosophy and just wondering how well i'll do in economics next year, that microeconmoics module in semester 1 was fine to pass, i knew how to answer each question but i have no idea how to get a first in it.

So yeah any tips on what its like in second year econ, will be much appreciated, also is it easier doing a joint honours or single? thanks buds.
:wink:

You mean comparing first year to second year at Southampton?

The issue is that you're doing a joint honours course with philosophy, and so your second year economics options won't be mathematical. You cover no econometrics and no core theoretical modules; all your economics modules in your second and third year are applied.

In second year you cover Applied Microeconomics 2, Macroeconomic Policy 2, and two optional modules. In third year you cover Applied Microeconomics 3, Macroeconomic Policy 3, and up to one other economics module from a limited list.

If you were on the straight economics programme you'd cover more quantitative modules such as econometrics, microeconomic theory, game theory, industrial economics, etc.

Basically, all of your exams will be essay based and be qualitative in nature as you're on a joint honours programme.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending